Crockpot Barley Casserole

  • amberlane@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 11, 2005
      Crockpot Barley Casserole
      This delicious and healthy crockpot recipe can be served as a vegetarian
      main dish or a side dish.
      INGREDIENTS:
      1 cup uncooked pearl barley
      1-1/2 cups eight vegetable juice
      1/8 tsp. white pepper
      1 cup chopped celery
      1 green or red bell pepper, chopped
      1 onion, chopped
      2 cloves garlic, minced
      14 oz. can ready to serve vegetable broth
      1/4 cup toasted pine nuts or chopped walnuts
      PREPARATION:
      Combine all ingredients except pine nuts in a 3-4 quart slow cooker.
      Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours until barley and vegetables are
      tender. Sprinkle with nuts just before serving. 4 servings
    • mmbw1
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 17, 2007
        This sounds wonderful! If you do substitute Quinoa for the
        barley, do you use the same measures? Do you use 1 cup of
        quinoa? Thanks in advance. Mary in SC
      • Auntie J
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 18, 2007
          I used the same amount of quinoa, 1 cup.

          Oh, I see Star is recommending slightly under double that amount. I'll
          have to try it that way, too! :)