Re: [slowcooker] Bratwurst in crock pot

  • siharmon@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
      OK, I haven't done these in the crockpot, so this is just an observation, but
      I have done them in a skillet. The best thing the crock does is simmer the
      meat with various sauces, etc. To me, the best thing about Brats is the grilled
      taste and texture, so I admit I wouldn't have tried this. However, in the
      skillet and on the grill, the excess fat is melted out. On the grill, it falls
      on the coals and is burned. In the skillet, a faster process than the pot, you
      can tilt it to skim the excess off. I would think that in the crock pot, the
      excess grease would be all around the brats, and to me, I don't think that
      would really enhance the flavor. I would think that using a small rack to keep
      the brats our of the released fat would be good. Maybe putting some liquid with
      flavorings you want to heat marinaded aroma into the brats under the rack
      would be something to try.

      Let us know how it goes!

      Scott

    • Rick & Jan Lloyd
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
        I don't think that brats would stand up to the long crocking times.. what we do is boil the brats in DARK beer for about 10 minutes and then toss on the BBQ... great flavor... and use the crock to make some chili or beans to go along with the brats..
        Jan
        Huntington Beach