Bratwurst in crock pot

  • David & Nicole Hahn
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2005
      Long time lurker, small time poster.............I am certain this has been
      posted before, but I want to ask again. My SIL is having a barbecue on
      Saturday and my dear hubby suggested we cook Johnsville Brats in the crock
      pot all day and then throw them on the grill right before we eat to give
      them the flavor. Does anyone have any TNT on doing these this way or not.
      Any suggestions on cooking these in Crockpot will be most appreciated.
      Thanks
      Nicole

      David & Nicole Hahn
      KY Regional Co-Coordinators IMPS Rescue
      www.minpinrescue.org <http://www.minpinrescue.org>
      Hershey, Speckles, Angel, Lady & Wilson
      Mansford, Reggie, & Nikita (min pin fosters)
      Kenny (manchester terrier foster)
    • siharmon@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
        OK, I haven't done these in the crockpot, so this is just an observation, but
        I have done them in a skillet. The best thing the crock does is simmer the
        meat with various sauces, etc. To me, the best thing about Brats is the grilled
        taste and texture, so I admit I wouldn't have tried this. However, in the
        skillet and on the grill, the excess fat is melted out. On the grill, it falls
        on the coals and is burned. In the skillet, a faster process than the pot, you
        can tilt it to skim the excess off. I would think that in the crock pot, the
        excess grease would be all around the brats, and to me, I don't think that
        would really enhance the flavor. I would think that using a small rack to keep
        the brats our of the released fat would be good. Maybe putting some liquid with
        flavorings you want to heat marinaded aroma into the brats under the rack
        would be something to try.

        Let us know how it goes!

        Scott

      • Rick & Jan Lloyd
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
          I don't think that brats would stand up to the long crocking times.. what we do is boil the brats in DARK beer for about 10 minutes and then toss on the BBQ... great flavor... and use the crock to make some chili or beans to go along with the brats..
          Jan
          Huntington Beach