Why pork chops don't work in the crock anymore, and my Confetti Pork loin recipe

  • P.Paige Ferriot
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2005
      Pork has been bred to be leaner than in years past, and therefor does not hold up well to long slow cooking. I have had a small measure of success by not salting the dish before cooking, but it is still not a desirable texture. I have given up on chops in the crock. Occationally I will do a loin roast, but this too has changed in texture over the years. I think my roast works better than the chops because of the added fat in the recipe.

      Confetti Pork Loin

      1 3-4lb pork loin roast
      1 red pepper
      1 green pepper
      1 med. yellow onion
      2-3 cloves garlic (more or less, to taste)
      1 tbsp rubbed sage
      S&P to taste
      EVOO

      In processor or blender, finely mince peppers, onion and garlic. Saute mixture in EVOO till tender and fragrant. remove from heat, add sage, and S&P.

      While sauteing, cut loin in half lenthwise, like a sub bun. Make a series of 1 inch slits on the cut surfaces of the loin. When the veg mix is cool enough to handle, stuff with fingers into the slits. Put loin back together, and tie with cooking string. Make more slits in the top, and stuff those as well. Any remaining veg mixture gets spead on top.

      Place in crock and cook on low all day, 6-8 hours.

      Enjoy!

      Paige in Ohio