Recipe Nomination for March

  • catsellsavon@cs.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
      I made this one night for my family.. It was the best chicken and dumplings
      we have ever had! I found this recipe in a magazine though I cannot remember
      which one since I search through many magazines for recipes on a weekly basis.

      Irish Chicken and Dumplings

      Ingredients:
      1 cup all-purpose flour
      2 tsp salt
      3 chicken breast halves ( cut into bite size pieces)
      1 yellow onion, diced
      1 celery stalk, sliced
      2 to 6 cups chicken stock
      3 carrots, peeled and sliced
      2 springs marjoram
      Freshly ground black pepper
      1 cup frozen or fresh peas

      DUMPLINGS
      2 cups all-purpose flour
      1 Tbsp baking powder
      ¾ tsp salt
      3 tbsp unsalted butter
      1 cup milk
      ¼ chopped fresh parsley, for garnish

      Directions:
      1 combine flour and salt in a resealable plastic bag. Add chicken to the
      bag, several pieces at a time, and shake to coat completely.

      2. Heat a large saute’ pan over medium high heat and add 2 tbsp of the oil.
      Add the chicken and cook, turning until brown on all sides. Place chicken in
      stone cooker.

      3. Add onion and celery to the remaining flour in the bag and shake to coat.
      Set the saute pan over meduim-high heat and add the remaining oil. Add onion
      and celery and saute’ for 10-15minutes, until browned, stirring frequently.
      Gradually add the stock, stirring to scrape up the browned bits from the
      bottom of the pan. Cook 10-15 minutes, until the sauce is somewhat thickened,
      stirring frequently. Stir in carrots, marjoram, and salt and pepper to taste.
      Pour over chicken.

      4 Cover and cook on low for 3 ½ hours, then on high for 30 minutes before
      dropping in the dumplings.

      5 To prepare dumplings: combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
      Stir to blend. Bring butter and milk to a simmer in a saucepan over medium heat.
      Drizzle into the dry ingredients and mix well. This will be a fairly dry
      dough.

      6 Using a large spoon or your hands, form dough into small flattish rounds.
      Add peas to the slow cooker and mix well. Place dumplings on top of the stew.

      7 Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes, our until a toothpick inserted in a
      dumpling comes out clean. Remove and discard marjoram.

      8 Spoon stew into shallow bowls, dividing chicken and dumplings evenly.
      Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.

      Cathey Jones

    • Janice
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 30, 2005
        After my success with the Moroccan Chicken, I wanted to try this
        recipe as well but I have a question ~ My only actual experience
        with dumplings are the sort puffy sort that Mom always made with
        Bisquick. I'm not sure what sort of results I should be looking for
        with the dumplings in this recipe (to ensure that I haven't messed
        them up)...Would they be denser as a result of being in the crock?

        Janice

        --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, catsellsavon@c... wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > 5 To prepare dumplings: combine flour, baking powder and salt in a
        bowl.
        > Stir to blend. Bring butter and milk to a simmer in a saucepan
        over medium heat.
        > Drizzle into the dry ingredients and mix well. This will be a
        fairly dry
        > dough.
        >
        > 6 Using a large spoon or your hands, form dough into small flattish
        rounds.
        > Add peas to the slow cooker and mix well. Place dumplings on top
        of the stew.

        > 7 Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes, our until a toothpick
        inserted in a
        > dumpling comes out clean. Remove and discard marjoram.
        >
        > 8 Spoon stew into shallow bowls, dividing chicken and dumplings
        evenly.
        > Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.

      • Kim Malo
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 5, 2005
          Hey Cathey-
          Finally getting to putting the recipes up on the group site and a couple of
          your measurements came out as funky symbols, so I just wanted to clarify
          them if you would. I marked them with arrows. I'm assuming it's 3/4 tsp
          salt and 1/4 c chopped parsley, but want to be sure.
          Thanks!
          Kim

          At 06:40 PM 3/1/2005, catsellsavon@... wrote:

          >I made this one night for my family.. It was the best chicken and dumplings
          >we have ever had! I found this recipe in a magazine though I cannot remember
          >which one since I search through many magazines for recipes on a weekly
          >basis.
          >

          >Irish Chicken and Dumplings
          ><snip>
          >DUMPLINGS
          >2 cups all-purpose flour
          >1 Tbsp baking powder
          >3 tbsp unsalted butter
          >1 cup milk
          >¼ chopped fresh parsley, for garnish <-------------------------------
        • Kim
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 5, 2005
            Sorry, meant to send this just directly to Cathey, not to the whole list. Oops.
            Kim