RE: [slowcooker] Recipe question

  • Kim Malo
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 30, 2004
      At 01:31 PM 9/30/2004, Joe Tilman wrote:
      > > Don't forget to dump the soak water for the
      > > beans. You don't want your meal to be
      >'musical'
      > > several hours later after eating it.
      >
      >I have heard this before. I was told that
      >flatulence is caused by the complex carbs and
      >fiber of the legume, so I don't see how dumping
      >the soak-water would help. Seems more likely to
      >take a whole load of nutrtion with it (I'm
      >thinking the way potato water is nutritious).
      >Any nutritionists or bio-chemists out there care
      >to straighten me out? :-)

      Sure. There's no nutrition loss because the flatulence is caused by
      indigestible starches, which soaking dissolves. Since they're indigestible,
      you're not gong to get any nutrition from them even if you eat them.
      I figured a government source would be considered reliable vs going by word
      of mouth (I understand the reliability concern about going by even well
      meat work of mouth), so I took that from the CDC site:
      http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/5aday/month/beans.htm.