Re: [slowcooker] high and low settings??

  • johanssen
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2004
      Sharon - whatever you do, don't let go of the old el cheapo
      slowcooker. The newer crockpots cook way too hot
      and burn and dry out your food if you follow the slow cooker recipes in
      the cook books.

      Look for a listing of the wattage used. (usually on the bottom of the
      crock). My older crock has a low wattage of 75 to a high wattage of
      150. My newest crockpot (Rival - 2 years old) has a listed wattage of
      180 watts (low) to 250 watts (high). As you can see there is a great
      difference between the low watt setting in both the old crock and the
      new. I believe the makers all decided to up the wattage used on the low
      setting for fear of being sued when a dish was cooked for hours
      but people still got sick from salmonella. - You might want to e-mail
      Rival and ask if they have any "NEW" crockpots
      that have the lower temperature range as I list above - Jenny