[slowcooker] Split Pea & Brown Rice Soup with Curry

  • John T Fisher
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 1999
      I converted this recipe from the "Super Meals from Supermarkets" cookbook
      by Joe Famularo. My husband and I both enjoyed it.

      2 c. dried split peas (rinsed and sorted)
      6-7 c. chicken broth or water (depends on desired thickness)
      1 large onion (I used the onion powder equivalent)
      2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes
      2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes (I didn't use carrots, I
      just added more potato)
      salt & pepper
      2 T. butter (I used the Butter Buds equivalent to cut out the fat)
      1 T. curry powder
      1 c. cooked brown rice (since I used the crock pot, I used 1/3 c.
      uncooked rice)

      I put everything in the CP and cooked for around 4-6 hours on high (until
      the peas suited me).

      An added step: The recipe called for the soup to be pureed in the food
      processor before adding the rice. I didn't bother.

      Cheri
      or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/slowcooker