[slowcooker] Re: oatmeal porridge

  • Cathy G
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 1999
      Hi, I have a food co-op and we have several varieties of oats available to
      us for ordering....if it says 'oats'...it is just rolled oats....you can
      also get steel cut and thick rolled oats....quick oats are just chopped up
      rolled oats....if a recipe calls for oats, you should really use the regular
      oats, not quick oats, as they will definately effect the outcome. I hope
      this makes sense and has cleared up any confusion. Cathy
      PS there is nothing better than oats ordered through a local health store or
      food co-op....they are fresher and smell so good...you will never go back to
      the store bought once you have tried them...even the Quaker Oats Co brand
      <<g>>

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 1999
        I agree Cathy!

        We have a food store here where you can buy 50lb bags of steelcut oats,
        or oat groats for about $15.00! I buy it by the large bag, store it in
        large plastic buckets with tight fitting lids. I also buy cream of wheat
        and other grains and beans this way as well.

        Some of the grains come already bucketed....they have the oxygen
        absorber thingies in there to keep everything fresh. I have never had
        anything get bugs on me either, but I use what I buy and rotate my
        supply!

        Bonnie in Idaho
        --

        "Needle In A Haystack!!" Custom Quilting & Country Patterns

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/slowcooker