Re: [slowcooker] Cooking a whole ham

  • Lorie O'Donnell
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2003
      Try mixing a bit of mustard together with a bit of brown sugar to make a
      paste. Spread over the ham and cook all day on low. I am not a fan of
      pineapple, so this is what I do all the time. Comes out great.

      Lorie

      Terri Bryant said:

      > I know we just had a thread on ham right?
      >
      > I bought a pork shoulder picnic ham last night, it has a bone in it,
      > anyway I have searched the archives but can't find a great way to cook it
      > in the crock pot. I don't have any cider mix on hand or pineapple. Is
      > there a way not using these ingrediants or should I just head to the
      > store? I really would like to try that cider mix recipe Myron posted. I
      > can't make anything spicy because I am going to use the meat in 3 other
      > recipes later. I must be archively challenged, I am having no luck :-(
      > Thanks for any ideas. All the recipes that I did find call for shredding
      > the pork, I need to be able to slice some of it for lunch meat. I hope I
      > bought the right cut of meat. I think I am picturing in my mind a spiral
      > ham and that is just not going to happen..........lol
      >
      > p.s. the ham is 10 lbs.

      Lorie J. O'Donnell
      Children's Librarian
      Jervis Public Library
      Rome, NY 13440
      lodonnell@...

      --
      "Lead me not into temptation (I can find the way
      myself)."
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 5, 2003
        Wow.. that must be a big crockpot to cook a whole ham...

        Orange juice can work instead of pineapple. I think it has to do with the
        acidity of the sauce. I mix either pineapple or orange juice, brown sugar
        and dijon or honey mustard (whichever I have on hand) to make a glaze for
        the ham.

        I usualy make it in the oven tho.

        I have a Rival Crockpot Smart-Pot Programmable one. Its a 6-quart. I can
        cook something for 8 hours and after the 8 hours it automatically sets
        itself to "Warm" so nothing burns or overcooks. Big fan of it as a working
        mom with a crazy schedule.

        -Jenn

        Terri Bryant said:

        > I know we just had a thread on ham right?
        >
        > I bought a pork shoulder picnic ham last night, it has a bone in it,
        > anyway I have searched the archives but can't find a great way to cook it
        > in the crock pot. I don't have any cider mix on hand or pineapple. Is
        > there a way not using these ingrediants or should I just head to the
        > store? I really would like to try that cider mix recipe Myron posted.
        > can't make anything spicy because I am going to use the meat in 3 other
        > recipes later. I must be archively challenged, I am having no luck :-(
        > Thanks for any ideas. All the recipes that I did find call for shredding
        > the pork, I need to be able to slice some of it for lunch meat. I hope I
        > bought the right cut of meat. I think I am picturing in my mind a spiral
        > ham and that is just not going to happen..........lol
        >
        > p.s. the ham is 10 lbs.

        Lorie J. O'Donnell
        Children's Librarian
        Jervis Public Library
        Rome, NY 13440
        lodonnell@...

        --
        "Lead me not into temptation (I can find the way
        myself)."
        -- Anonymous

        Help protect your PC. Get a FREE computer virus scan online from McAfee.