[slowcooker] Re: onion soup mix

  • Michael J. Troher
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 1998
      Brigitte,

      I believe the bloating you are referring to is gas caused by the onions. I love onions and use a lot of dried onions in soup and stews. It can be so bad that you can smell the onions in the gas.

      What you can do is get a good beef stock. There should be some available at a large grocery type store in the soup section. It comes in a jar about twice the size of a bouillon jar and is just beef stock or soup base. Then add fresh onions and note that they are the same type you usually buy. This can change too. When you add a lot of fresh onion you can get gassed too. Onions are so good for you I would find a way to live with them.

      Good luck,

      Michael

      Free Web-based e-mail groups -- www.eGroups.com
    • Mar73bob@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 1998
        In a message dated 12/02/1998 10:58:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        mtroher@... writes:

        << When you add a lot of fresh onion you can get gassed too. Onions are so
        good for you I would find a way to live with them.

        Good luck,

        Michael >>

        Brigitte:
        I work in a doctor's office for an Internal Medicine doctor. A lot of our
        patients ask the doctor about the problem they are having with gas. They
        don't want to give up their favorite foods but don't like the problem of
        having gas either. The doctor tells them to try "BEANO" which should relieve
        the gas problem. It is usually taken before you eat. A couple have come back
        and told us that the "BEANO" has really helped them. They don't mind taking
        it because you can swallow it with water. Maybe this will help you out also.
        Good luck.
        Marilyn
      • Nathan D. Justus
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 2, 1998
          Regarding Beano, it is actually a type of mold - if you have allergies
          you might want to be careful.

          You can reduce gassiness in beans if you soak them in 10 cups of water for
          every cup of beans overnight...tip the water out then soak again for another
          few hours.

          This helps quite a bit.

          (Learned that bit from Julia Child)

          Nathan
          nathan@...

          >I work in a doctor's office for an Internal Medicine doctor. A lot of our
          >patients ask the doctor about the problem they are having with gas. They
          >don't want to give up their favorite foods but don't like the problem of
          >having gas either. The doctor tells them to try "BEANO" which should relieve
          >the gas problem. It is usually taken before you eat. A couple have come back
          >and told us that the "BEANO" has really helped them. They don't mind taking
          >it because you can swallow it with water. Maybe this will help you out also.
          >Good luck.
        • lori lewis
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 3, 1998
            Cooking With Home Storage, an excellent book by Vicki Tate, has a recipe for onion soup mix.

            4 T. beef bouillon granules, 8 tsp. dry onion, 1 tsp. onion powder, 1/4 tsp. Bon Appetit

            I have been unable to find any Bon Apetit but have used the recipe by omitting it.

            Free Web-based e-mail groups -- www.eGroups.com
          • coyote@ritzcom.net
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 23, 2003
              I know someone posted a recipe for onion soup mix, but I can't seem to locate it in the archives.

              Thanks!!!
              Chel

            • BizzyB63@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 23, 2003
                chel,
                here is a copy of the original message (#17900) posted back on 2/24/03 by
                bebetsynow@...
                hope this helps you.

                Date:  Mon Feb 24, 2003  11:32 am
                Subject:  dried onion soup mix recipe

                If anyone has the recipe for a do-it-yourself onion soup mix, please

                pass it on.
                Here you go, Tori.

                ONION SOUP MIX 1 makes 3+ packages

                3/4 cup dried minced onion
                1/3 cup beef bouillon; chicken bouillon or vegetable bouillon
                4 teaspoons onion powder
                1/4 teaspoon celery seeds -- crushed
                1/4 teaspoon sugar

                Mix all dry ingredients together.

                Store in an air tight container up to 6 months.

                Stir or shake well before each use.

                18 tbs about 1 cup

                TIP: 5 tbs of mix = 1.25 pkg of onion soup mix at store

                ONION SOUP MIX 2
                1/4 cup onion powder
                1/4 cup parsley -- freeze-dried
                2 tablespoons onion salt
                1 teaspoon pepper
                2 ounces beef bouillon; chicken bouillon; or vegetable bouillon
                1/4 cup brown gravy powder

                Mix together. 1/4 c = 1 envelope onion soup mix.

                ONION SOUP MIX 3 Makes the equivalent of one packet of onion soup mix.

                4 teaspoons beef bouillon, chicken bouillon or vegetable bouillon granules
                -- or to taste
                OR 4 to 6 beef, vegetable or chicken bouillon cubes -- or to taste
                8 teaspoons dried minced onion
                1 teaspoon onion powder.

                Combine all ingredients.
                Store in an airtight container.

                ONION SOUP MIX 4 Yield: "1 package"

                4 teaspoons instant beef, chicken or vegetable bouillon granules
                8 teaspoons dried minced onion
                1 teaspoon onion powder
                1/4 teaspoon Bon Appetit seasoning

                Mix together--makes the equivalent of one package of Onion soup mix

                Source: "Make a Mix Cookbook"
                DEBBIE : )

              • coyote@ritzcom.net
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 23, 2003
                  Thanks, everyone!!! It will make my crockpot recipes a little less expensive and helpful since I don't always have the soup mix in my pantry, but everything else I do.

                  Chel

                • myronm@bellsouth.net
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 26, 2003
                    Dear Chel,

                    Ya know, when a recipe calls for onion soup mix and I don't have any, I just toss in a handful of dried onion flakes....same difference! Works fine!

                    Myron in Florida