Re: [slowcooker] Digest Number 1203

  • cyndikrall@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2003
      In a message dated 8/1/2003 5:05:50 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
      slowcooker@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > I cook my hamburger meat in bulk as I buy it and package it after its
      > been cooked and drained well (my pasta pot with the spaghetti insert
      > works great to cook and drain any ground meat). This cuts down on the
      > "have to" cook time as well as the fat content-you can do this with
      > other ground meats as well. Meatloaf or meatballs I often cook without
      > sauce until the towards the end when I can drain the grease and then add
      > sauce or topping (I have a removable liner in my crock).
      > Marinara/tomato based sauces tend to be lower in fat than cream based
      > sauces.

      Someone I know boils her hamburger meat istead of frying it, and she rinses
      it well after she boils it. Her husband has a very restricted diet, and his
      doctor recommended she do this. It would be easy to do this, and add to the crock
      for any recipe, since most recipes require hamburger meat to be precooked
      anyway. Personally, I never use canned cream of anything. My family dosen't like
      it anyway, and although convenient, I think they are very unhealthy, lol. I
      really like low card recipes because they never use cream of whatever, and tend
      to use fresh ingredients. The Fix it and forget it cookbook is a good one, as
      are the Suzanne Somers cookbooks-many recipes can be converted to crockpot
      ones. I'll try to remember to post a couple of my favorites that I converted to
      crockpot use.

      Cyndi