Re: [slowcooker] Alu Gobhi ( Indian potatos with cauliflower) recipe ANd other comments about Indian food in slowcookers

  • Kim Malo
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2003
      Hi Nargis:
      OK, since I've got an expert's brain to pick <g>...

      At 09:19 PM 6/1/2003 -0700, Nargis wrote:
      >There is one lovely vegetable dish called Saag e paneer( Spinach cooked
      >to a puree, with fried cubes of delicious cheese floating in it) which
      >would probably work very well as you have to simmer the
      >spinach/mustardgreens with spices for a long time until it gets to the
      >soft consistency you need for it.

      Which is one of the few Indian dishes I have had and am very fond of (I
      love spinach and any kind of greens). Do you have a good recipe for it to
      adapt to the crockpot? You're right, I can see how it would work well
      there, although I wouldn't have thought to try it in the crock.

      >For the Haleem I used a packaged spice mixture from Pakistan called SHAN
      >masala mix for Haleem.

      And speaking of spice mixtures, in the

      > Cauliflower and Potato Curry

      recipe that you sent in, do you make your own garam masala and could you
      please provide a recipe for that as well.

      Many thanks
      Kim
    • Amy H.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 17, 2004
        Hey,

        I was looking through the archives and found some older e-mails about
        Indian/Pakistani foods. Did anyone ever have success converting a
        stovetop recipe for Saag e paneer into a slowcooker version? It's my
        boyfriend's favorite, and I would love to make it at home.

        -Amy

        --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, Kim Malo <kimmalo@m...> wrote:
        > Hi Nargis:
        > OK, since I've got an expert's brain to pick <g>...
        >
        > At 09:19 PM 6/1/2003 -0700, Nargis wrote:
        > >There is one lovely vegetable dish called Saag e paneer( Spinach
        cooked
        > >to a puree, with fried cubes of delicious cheese floating in it) which
        > >would probably work very well as you have to simmer the
        > >spinach/mustardgreens with spices for a long time until it gets to the
        > >soft consistency you need for it.
        >
        > Which is one of the few Indian dishes I have had and am very fond of (I
        > love spinach and any kind of greens). Do you have a good recipe for
        it to
        > adapt to the crockpot? You're right, I can see how it would work well
        > there, although I wouldn't have thought to try it in the crock.
        >
        > >For the Haleem I used a packaged spice mixture from Pakistan called
        SHAN
        > >masala mix for Haleem.
        >
        > And speaking of spice mixtures, in the
        >
        > > Cauliflower and Potato Curry
        >
        > recipe that you sent in, do you make your own garam masala and could
        you
        > please provide a recipe for that as well.
        >
        > Many thanks
        > Kim
      • um_naseem
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 17, 2004
          Hi Amy,
          I have never made saag e paneer so I really can't comment on that. I
          really haven't had much success cooking Pakistani foods in the
          slowcooker even though that's what we eat on an almost daily basis.
          What I have done is started the shorbah (gravy) on the stovetop by
          frying my onion, adding the tomato and spices and then the meat and
          then I transfer everything to the slowcooker once the meat starts to
          brown but it just isn't quite the same - I think that more of the
          spices cook off.

          One thing though that my family likes & I make alot is chicken
          poulau (sp?) I make the chicken part in the slowcooker & then make
          the rice (which has been soaked) on the stovetop later. I can pass
          along the recipe if you'd like to have it.

          ~Amy