Recipe Nomination: Italian Chicken and Potatoes

  • Maria Rublee
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2003
      Hi, everyone, I wanted to nominate this recipe for the Slowcooker Recipe
      of the Month award. Try it out and see what you think! We've had it
      several times and my husband said today, "Hey, can we have that new
      chicken recipe again?" He thinks it comes out a little bland as is but he
      loves smothering it in rice vinegar or whatever he feels like. I like it
      just the way it is.

      This recipe is low fat, low cal, really simple, and delicious!

      The way I made it, the recipe had 4 servings and each serving was only 3
      points - which means for non-Weight Watchers people is that it's really
      low calorie, low fat, and high fiber! I list the original recipe and then
      note my changes.

      ITALIAN CHICKEN AND POTATOES

      1 lb. boneless chicken breasts
      1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
      1 tsp. Italian seasoning (OR, 1/4 tsp basil, 1/4 tsp.
      oregano and 1/2
      tsp. crushed red pepper)
      2 cloves garlic, minced
      4 potatoes, diced

      Put the chicken on the bottom of the pot, then add
      half of the dressing and spices. Next add the
      potatoes, and finally the other half of the dressing
      and spices. Cook for 6-8 hours on low.

      ----
      My changes:

      -- I used a 1 lb frozen package of chicken tenders (perdue).
      -- I used one bag of Simply Potatoes Red Bliss quarters.
      -- I left out the red pepper b/c we didn't have any.
      -- I used Wishbone FF Italian dressing.

      I put the chicken in, 1/2 the dressing/spice mix, the potatoes, and then
      the rest of the dressing/spice mix. I cooked on "auto shift" for about 6
      hours.

      It tasted delicious and was really filling, but very low cal!

      Maria