Re: [slowcooker] Why did this bean soup fail?

  • George Schuller
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2003
      Susan,

      This recipe seems to have been developed under the auspices of the fat police. Beans don't get that smooth texture unless you cook them with a fat source. I can't stand the texture of dry beans that are cooked without fat. Skip the cooked ham and add a couple of smoked ham hocks or something similar (chopped salt pork, slab bacon, hog jowl) to the recipe. Debone the ham hocks and chop up everything and return it to the soup prior to serving. If you want more meat you can always add some chopped ham also.

      >>> Susan Dutro <sdutro@...> 01/30/03 04:21PM >>>
      I followed the directions as given except omitting the celery,
      but after 11 hours on low (about 200 F), the beans were still pretty much
      rock-hard, and nearly all the liquid was gone. Bleah.

    • Dorine Houston
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2003
        Susan Dutro <sdutro@...>
        asks: "Why did this bean soup fail?"

        The recipe didn't specify that you should presoak the beans, probably
        because the author or editor assumed you'd know that.

        Any time you use any dry bean, you must soak overnight first. An
        alternative is to Cover the beans with water to cover by at least 2
        inches and make hot (bot not boiling) in the microwave, then let sit an
        houror two. However, I still prefer the good old overnight soaking in
        double their volume in cold water.

        The beans absorb the water and soften. If you do not take this step,
        you will need tons of water and an eternity of cooking time.

        BTW, never let beans boil; they should only simmer.

        Cheers,
        Dorine