Re: [slowcooker] Thanksgiving

  • roxdug1@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 1, 2002
      I also made my mashed potatoes from the recipe posted here at
      slowcooker. What a great time-saver.
      I also made the slowcooker Sweet Potato Casserole. BIG HIT!!!!
      Thanks so much for the great recipes.

      Kathy in Massachusetts <^..^>
      It's that time of year when it's good to be Fat & Jolly
    • roxdug1@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 2, 2002
        Here you go Carole,

        CP Sweet Potato Casserole

        2 (29 ounce) cans sweet potatoes, drained and mashed with 1/3 cup of
        melted butter
        2 Tablespoons white sugar
        2 Tablespoons brown sugar
        1 Tablespoon orange juice
        2 beaten eggs
        1/2 cup milk
        1/3 cup chopped pecans 1/3 cup brown sugar
        2 Tablespons all-purpose flour
        2 Teaspoons melted butter

        Lightly grease CP. In a large bowl, blend sweet potatoes, 1/3 cup of
        utter, sugars, beat in OJ,eggs and milk. Transfer this mixture to CP.In
        a small bowl, combine pecans, 1/3 cup brown sugar,flour and 2
        tablespoons butter. Spread this mixture over the sweet potatoes. Cover
        the CP and cook on High for 3 to 4 hours.

        Refrigerator Mashed Potatoes

        5 lbs potatoes
        2 (3ounce ) pkgs cream cheese
        1 cup dairy sour cream
        2 tsp onion salt
        1 tsp salt
        1/4 tsp pepper
        2 Tbs butter

        Cook peeled potatoes in salted water until tender. Drain. Mash ( I used
        a potatoe ricer ) until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and beat until
        light and fluffy.
        Cover and place in fridge.
        I made these the day before and then put them in a greased CP and heated
        on low about 3 to 4 hours.

        Kathy in Massachusetts <^..^>
        It's that time of year when it's good to be Fat & Jolly
      • Bev
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 27, 2003
          Just thought I would let the group know that I just got back from my son and daughter-in-laws house. She had a buffet for 24 people with 9 crockpot and a nesco going. She owns 11 crockpots and I think this set a record for the number used a one time :). Did any one have more than this ?
          Bev

        • Bev
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 28, 2003
            MY DIL had turkey, ham, roast beef, mashed potatoes (cp to keep warm) , sweet potatoes, green beans with bacon and onions, corn, stuffing, little smokies in bbq sauce, and gravy. That's all I can remember...she had a lot for food that wasn't in a CP also. seven desserts, deviled eggs, cranberry sauce, cheese and crackers and two relish trays. Bev

          • Sheri Matheson
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 27, 2004
              Since my mom died in November last year, it still isn't the best month
              of the year for me. For the past several years, I had been going to a
              friend's house for dinner, then spending the rest of the afternoon with
              mom in the nursing home. This year, since I am writing every weekend
              and day off, I thought I'd stay home and work. A dear friend is 78 and
              has decided it's time to go into a facility about an hour away where she
              will live the rest of her life, so this was her last Thanksgiving here
              in town.

              I didn't want to do a big production meal that would take a lot of time
              away from my writing, so I set the jello and baked the pumpkin pie the
              night before, on Thursday, I did a half Turkey breast and 2 thighs in
              the crock pot with wine and herbs (took about 5 minutes prep time from
              fridge to cooking), baked corn and candied sweet potatoes. Just before
              serving I tried the cornbread Stove Top which we didn't like at all.
              Everything else turned out fine and the turkey was to die for. I sent
              left overs home with her and had enough for several meals for myself,
              with very little clean up. It was a bitter-sweet meal - but one that
              I'm glad I did. Now if I can just find an agent *LOL*

              Sheri Matheson

              If you can read this, thank a teacher

              If it's in English, thank a soldier

            • coralie
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 27, 2008
                Some of you may have been doing this for years at Thanksgiving but this year
                was the first time I mashed my potatoes and "held" them in the crockpot
                until ready to eat. The potatoes were wonderful and no rushing around at
                the last minute
                mashing potatoes. What else can I do with the crockpot for big meals?
                Christmas is coming up.
                Coralie
              • olaweb
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 28, 2008
                  I did the same things-put in the mashed potatoes after I made them on the stove....but I have a crock pot that is divided so I put canned sweet potatoes in the other section.with out heating up first, they were in there about 2-1.5 hours on high and both sided were great. Dd and I figured we saved 3 dishes. We saved 2 serving bowls and one pan. I just brought the crock to the table. This was the first time I used this divided crock...dh got it for me last year right after the holidays...it was on sale then.
                  Barbara

                • Myron Menaker
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 28, 2008
                    Dear Coralie,

                    Serve a hot dip as an appetizer in the crockpot. You can serve it right
                    out of the pot! Always a crowd-pleaser.

                    My favorite is a pound of Velveeta, a can of chopped green chiles and a
                    half-pound of ground beef, browned and drained. Crock on low for two
                    hours before serving.

                    Myron

                    coralie wrote:
                    > Some of you may have been doing this for years at Thanksgiving but this year
                    > was the first time I mashed my potatoes and "held" them in the crockpot
                    > until ready to eat. The potatoes were wonderful and no rushing around at
                    > the last minute
                    > mashing potatoes. What else can I do with the crockpot for big meals?
                    > Christmas is coming up.
                    > Coralie

                    '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
                    Greetings from Daytona Beach, Florida |
                    \ /
                    ~, .-'-.
                    /| -- / \ --
                    ~^~`^~^`^~ / |\ ~^~~^~``~~^~~^^~^~^-=======-~^~^~^~~^~~^~^~
                    ~^~ ~^~ ^~ /__|_\~^~ ~^~^~^~_~^~^_~-=========- -~^~^~^^~^_~
                    ~^~ ~^~^ ~ '======' `~^-~~^~-^~^_~^~~ -=====- ~^~^~-~^~^~^~~^~
                    jgs ~^~ ~^ ~^~ ~^~^ ~^~-~^~~^~-~^~~-~^~^~-~^~~^-~^~^~^-~^~^~^~
                    Myron Menaker
                    myronm@... "World's Most Famous Beach!"
                    '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

                  • Judy G.
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 28, 2008
                      This is the first year I put my crockpots to such great use. Last year only the gravy was warming in one.
                      This year there was butternut squash in one, sweet potatoes with applesauce in a larger one (great recipe, thanks); then I had mashed potatoes in the last one.
                      What a time saver and it freed up my burners for the boiled onions and broccoli and green beans.
                      All I had left to do was pop the rolls in the oven when we took the turkey out.
                      It was the smoothest day ever.
                      Of course having all the bowls labeled with serving spoons in each one was another great idea I gleaned from FLyLady who turned me on to this group.
                      Please keep those ideas coming. I could use all the help you can share.
                      Judy G.
                      Norton, MA

                    • mnjaa@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 28, 2008
                        I have shared before, but There are a number of ways I use my crocks at Christmas. Every other year I host Christmas Day. We have about 30 people. Everyone brings food, but I provide the basics.

                        To keep the stress down I cook ahead and make liberal use of my extra refrigerator. I do not use my crocks for the turkey. I do roast the bird a couple days before. Then I slice it and lay it carefully in a pan with some broth to keep it moist. On the day I lay some fresh herbs on top and cover it with foil. Warm in a slow oven for a couple hours. The same day I roast the turkey I fix my potatoes and make the gravy. I use the farmers crockpot mashed potatoes recipe that I posted before. On the morning of I transfer the potatoes into my two largest crocks and set on low. They need to be stirred once or twice to keep the edges from getting crispy. I put the gravy in my mid sized crock and set it on low as well. I cook sweet potatoes in another mid sized crock. The third midsized crock is used for hot cider. I heat the cider in another large crock which sits on top of the chest freezer in the garage. I trade out the crocks as the supply gets low...otherwise it takes too long between batches. I also heat my green beans in a mid sized crock in the garage. For appetizers I use a small crock to serve con queso dip and a mid sized crock for little smokies. Christmas Eve I often have a crockpot chowder (prepared in one of my large crocks) served in sourdough bowls. Before we go to bed I make a breakfast casserole in my other large crock. The breakfast casserole is used for the brunch for Christmas morning.

                        Did I mention that I have ten crockpots...and no, I don't store them all in my kitchen!...I have shelves in the garage.

                        Marj

                        What else can I do with the crockpot for big meals?

                        Christmas is coming up.

                        Coralie

                      • msclassylady717
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 28, 2008
                          Well... this is for ANY day of the week/year..... to along with using
                          your crockpot..... if you need to cook/steam your veggies and/or
                          pastas for your meals....

                          The Pasta-n-More that you see advertise on tv.... it's the blue
                          contain that Cathy Mitchell talks about ....... IT WORKS!!!!!!!!

                          The the longest time I don't boil veggies on the stove.... if I'm not
                          grilling them or steaming them in foil/pouches ... I'm steaming them
                          in the microwave or when using my rice cooker & the steamer basket

                          How I have used my crockpots.... and I can also admit to having just
                          as many crockpots and well.....and yes I also have stainless steel
                          shelves in my garage as well as having a steel cabinet with shells
                          that I store all my extra corning casserole dishes, serving platters
                          and other glassware/cookware & storage containers.

                          I do enjoy grilling, even when I lived in NJ I would grill all year
                          round...... so when having a large group of people for a cookout...
                          and this also works if the weather turn bad and you need to bring the
                          party inside.....

                          I have flash grilled/seared my chicken, ribs, Italian sausage, on the
                          grill...... each gets their individual crocks and then I let them
                          finish cooking in the crocks.... now for me I like using the chicken
                          with the bones in, I feel they stay more moist, if/when I do use
                          boneless chicken I just watch the time carefully; so not to dry them
                          out .... the sliced onions and green peppers will have their own
                          crock and I also add in some slice potatoes .... another crock will
                          have Italian Meatballs and sauce .... and stews in another..... I
                          have also used my crockpot to make homemade sauce in it..... now when
                          I want to make a larger amount then I turn my nesco cookers, the 12 &
                          18 qt when I make larger amounts and then freeze. You can do your
                          cocktail meatballs and even your cocktail franks.

                          cj in fla/msclassylady717
                        • coralie
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 28, 2008
                            Thanks Myron, I'll give your recipe a try.

                            > Serve a hot dip as an appetizer in the crockpot. You can serve it right
                            > out of the pot! Always a crowd-pleaser.
                            >
                            > My favorite is a pound of Velveeta, a can of chopped green chiles and a
                            > half-pound of ground beef, browned and drained. Crock on low for two
                            > hours before serving.
                            >
                            > Myron
                            >

                            > coralie wrote:
                            >> Some of you may have been doing this for years at Thanksgiving but this
                            >> year
                            >> was the first time I mashed my potatoes and "held" them in the crockpot
                            >> until ready to eat. The potatoes were wonderful and no rushing around at
                            >> the last minute
                            >> mashing potatoes. What else can I do with the crockpot for big meals?
                            >> Christmas is coming up.
                            >> Coralie
                            >>

                            > '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
                            > Greetings from Daytona Beach, Florida |
                            > \ /
                            > ~, .-'-.
                            > /| -- / \ --
                            > ~^~`^~^`^~ / |\ ~^~~^~``~~^~~^^~^~^-=======-~^~^~^~~^~~^~^~
                            > ~^~ ~^~ ^~ /__|_\~^~ ~^~^~^~_~^~^_~-=========- -~^~^~^^~^_~
                            > ~^~ ~^~^ ~ '======' `~^-~~^~-^~^_~^~~ -=====- ~^~^~-~^~^~^~~^~
                            > jgs ~^~ ~^ ~^~ ~^~^ ~^~-~^~~^~-~^~~-~^~^~-~^~~^-~^~^~^-~^~^~^~
                            > Myron Menaker
                            > myronm@... "World's Most Famous Beach!"
                            > '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

                            > 11/27/2008 7:53 PM

                            > Copyright, 2006, Maria Rost Rublee.

                          • Jacquita & Bill Davis
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 29, 2008
                              My Thanksgiving dinner went sooooo smooth this year. A month ago I
                              made homemade dinner rolls and froze them before the second rise. On
                              Tuesday-made the mashed potatoes and put in on crock-pot. On Wednesday
                              prepared the dressing in a 9x13 glass pan. Also on Wednesday, cooked
                              our 24# turkey on the grill. Sliced the bird, and in one crock-pot put
                              the dark meat and another crock-pot but the white meat. Poured chicken
                              broth over both meats. The day of...all I had to do was put the crocks
                              in the bases and heat them up. Take rolls out to rise and bake along
                              with the dressing. What was funny, out of the 20 people we had over,
                              no one noticed there was not a turkey to carve. And they loved that
                              they type of meat they wanted was easy to get. My daughter said, "mom
                              this is the most relaxed I have ever seen you on a holiday". My plan
                              next time...do the same thing!!
                              Jacquita
                            • Brandy Gunderson
                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 30, 2008
                                Moderator's note: since that's not slowcooker, Jacquita please reply offlist and continue any discussion of grilling there. Thanks!!

                                how long does that take to cook a 24# on the grill? Is it a gas grill?