Skip to search.

Stuffed Grape Leaves w/ Lemon Sauce

  • connie427
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5, 2002
      I am looking for a recipe for stuffed grape leaves, dolma,
      and a lemon sauce recipe to serve with them. Thanks.
    • George Schuller
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 6, 2002
        >>> "connie427" <connie427@...> 11/05/02 07:47PM >>>
        I am looking for a recipe for stuffed grape leaves, dolma,
        and a lemon sauce recipe to serve with them. Thanks.

        I got this from a friend years ago... Very authentic. I haven't tried this in the Crockpot yet, but could probably be cooked on low 4-5 hours.

        Greek Dolmades Avgolemono

        This recipe contains meat and is from Southern Greece (The Peloponysos).
        There is also a Greek Dolmades recipe from Asia Minor (Constantinople)
        which was 80% Greek-populated until 1920 when ethnic cleansing by the Turks
        began in earnest. The other Greek Dolmades recipe is essentially seasoned
        rice wrapped with grape leaves and marinated.

        _Dolmades_

        1 lb. ground beef
        1 large onion, chopped
        1/2 c. white rice
        1 egg
        1/2 c. dry mint
        1 T. butter, softened
        1/2 bunch fresh parsley
        dill, if convenient
        3-4 T. lemon juice
        salt
        pepper
        water, if needed

        Knead all ingredients in a bowl. If the consistency is too hard, add
        water, one tablespoon at a time (up to 4 T.).

        Grape leaves are best picked from Grape Vines in the Spring, while they
        are still tender. They can be washed and frozen between layers of waxed
        paper and will keep for a year. They are also available in jars from
        some produce markets (especially ones that carry a lot of Greek/Italian
        imported foods).

        Depending on the size, you will need 20 to 40 grape leaves (Fila -
        pronounced fee'-lah). Small leaves tend to be more tender.

        Boil grape leaves until they are soft, but not tender. The time will depend
        on the leaves. Fresh ones will only take a minute.

        Fold grape leaves around small spoonfulls of meat mixture, sealing
        completely.

        In a large pot (preferably one with a large surface area on the bottom),
        melt 1/2 stick (4 T.) butter. Arrange rolled dolmades on top. Do this
        all at once, not as you roll them. Pour 3-4 cups water or chicken broth
        over dolmades, cover, and simmer for 2 hours.

        _Avgolomono_

        1 egg
        3-4 T. lemon juice
        corn starch

        Separate egg. Whisk egg white mixed with 1 tsp. water; add yolk and mix.
        Add corn starch (she gave no measurement) to lemon juice and stir; add
        to egg mixture. Skim broth off dolmades (it is now a chicken/beef broth
        and should be greatly reduced because of the rice) and add 1 T. at a time
        to the egg mixture, whisking well. Egg mixture should thicken.

        Remove dolmades from heat. Arrange dolmades in a bowl for serving. Mix
        remaining broth into egg-lemon mixture. Stir well and pour over
        dolmades.