Re: [slowcooker] just not having any luck!

  • Catt
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2002
      Anita,

      I can sympathize when your busy lifestyle, and I am sorry you are having a
      hard time. I too had some of the same problems you are having, and I just
      had to simplify the range of meals I served from the crock. I pretty much
      stick to roast, which when cooked with Kitchen Bouquet comes out wonderful.
      I also love the "No Peek" dish. I can also make a mean spaghetti sauce that
      when it simmers all day, I can use it for spaghetti, lasagna and ziti.
      Chicken is also great, add some barbecue sauce when you get home and serve
      on toasted buns. One of my favorite things is so simple though. I put a bed
      of onions in the bottom of my crock pot, put in a pork loin or chops,
      mushrooms and Kitchen Bouquet. When I serve it I just ladle the onions and
      mushrooms over the meat, with some nice mashed potatoes - very comfort food.

      Hope this helps!

      Catt
    • Sheri Matheson
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 30, 2002
        Anita - I guess I'm having a problem figuring out your original statement "everything tastes the same". That's impossible! Chicken doesn't taste like beef, onions don't taste like garlic and I could go on and on. Cooking in the crock isn't any different (taste wise) from baking or roasting. I guess if you use exactly the same spices on everything, then they would taste the same, but otherwise, things taste differently bo matter how you cook them. A lot of meat will fall apart when it's cooked low and slow. Have you tried adding spices during the last 30-60 minutes of cooking?

        If you want a never fail roast, throw a 2-3lb chuck roast in the pot and sprinkle it with dry lipton onion soup. Let it go until it's soft - probably 6-10 hours depending on hi or low. I guarantee it will taste like onions and be browned.

        Sheri Matheson
        God Bless America
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2002
          I'm sorry you are having such experiences. I couldn't, and wouldn't, live
          without my CP. Today I am making brown rice in one and Lemon Chicken in
          another,

          How about we start you out on something easy to let you get a few more
          "AHHHs" and build your know-how and confidence. One of the easiest and
          tastiest is a ham done in a CP. Buy a boneless, remove the store wrappers,
          and wrap the ham in a couple layers of aluminum foil. Try to make sure it
          is sealed. Bake for 8-10 hours on LOW, pull out, and serve. You can coat
          the ham with various things before wrapping it, or you can cook it plain. I
          usually do the plain - it is delicious. But it is also good if you baste
          the ham with apricot jelly, or peach jelly, or a combination of mayo and
          mustard before wrapping.

          If you have enough room in the CP, tuck some scrubbed, buttered baking
          potatoes down the sides or on the bottom of the CP. Not real big ones.

          Good luck!

          Clown
          <*}:o)

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 3, 2002
            Brown rice and lemon chicken, yummy. Could you share your recipes?
            Maria Munson

            slowcooker-owner@yahoogroups.com