Hello + TNT Santa Fe Stew

  • Michael & Jennifer Ort
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 8, 2002
      Hello! I am new to this group, though I have belonged once before. I am
      Jennifer, mom to 3 kiddos with another arriving in late December. During my
      previous pregnancy, I focused on freezer cooking so I could have a freezer
      full of food ready to eat when the baby was born. Our current circumstances
      do not allow me the extra grocery budget to start filling my freezer yet so
      I am focusing on the crockpot--especially while it is so hot! My husband
      was laid off in May and is still looking for a real job (temp work, in the
      meantime) so I am trying to be super-creative in using what we have on hand
      and reducing our grocery bill. I am hoping that joining a cooking group
      will help spark my creativity cause I'm running out of ideas! Here is my
      new, favorite recipe. We had this a couple of weeks ago for Sunday dinner
      and I can't wait to have it again!

      JennyO in Missouri

      Santa Fe Stew

      2 lbs browned, drained ground beef
      3 cans hominy (white or yellow)
      2 cans Ranch Style Beans (chile beans can be substituted if you gotta)
      1 can stewed tomatoes (chopped)
      1 cup chopped green chile
      1/2 lb chopped Velveeta

      Combine 1st 5 ingredients in crock pot and cook on low all day,
      approximately 8 hours. 1 hour before serving add cheese and stir several
      times throughout. Serve when cheese has melted. Serve this with hot
      tortillas or crackers and a green salad and you have a meal fit for a king
    • ARMSTRONG, CHARLOTTE A. (JSC-DL2) (USA)
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 8, 2002
        For the green chile, can you use 1 can of the Old El Paso Mild green chiles?
        Will that be enough flavor? The cans are about 4 or 2 oz. (small).

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=231049.2208958.3660596.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=17077442
        25:HM/A=1175219/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/grp/300_youH1/g22lp?Tar
        get=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

        To contact the list owner, send a message to
        slowcooker-owner@yahoogroups.com
        =====
        Copyright, 2002, Maria Rost Rublee.

      • ARMSTRONG, CHARLOTTE A. (JSC-DL2) (USA)
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 8, 2002
          Her reply was - yes - that was what she used.