All day Mac N Cheese

  • Beverly
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 30, 2002
      All Day Macaroni and Cheese

      8 Oz. elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
      4 cups (16 Oz) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
      1 can (12 Oz) evaporated milk
      1 1/2 cups milk
      2 eggs
      1 teaspoon salt
      1/2 teaspoon pepper

      Place the cooked macaroni in a 3 1/2 quart (or larger) slow cooker that
      has been coated with nonstick cooking spray. Reserve 1 cup of cheese,
      add remaining cheese and the other ingredients to the macaroni; mix well.
      Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese, then cover and cook on low setting
      5 to 6 hours, or until mixture is firm and golden around the edges.

      NOTE:: DO NOT remove the cover or stir until finished cooking.

    • smith2470
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 31, 2002
        Is it possible to cook this longer, around 8 hours, so that it can be
        ready when I get home from work? If not, I guess that's what the
        programmable crocks are for! Thanks.

        --- In slowcooker@y..., "Beverly" <pechin@w...> wrote:
        > All Day Macaroni and Cheese
        >
        > 8 Oz. elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
        > 4 cups (16 Oz) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
        > 1 can (12 Oz) evaporated milk
        > 1 1/2 cups milk
        > 2 eggs
        > 1 teaspoon salt
        > 1/2 teaspoon pepper
        >
        > Place the cooked macaroni in a 3 1/2 quart (or larger) slow cooker that
        > has been coated with nonstick cooking spray. Reserve 1 cup of cheese,
        > add remaining cheese and the other ingredients to the macaroni; mix well.
        > Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese, then cover and cook on low setting
        > 5 to 6 hours, or until mixture is firm and golden around the edges.
        >
        > NOTE:: DO NOT remove the cover or stir until finished cooking.

      • mrublee
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 31, 2002
          The only problem is that the macaroni may turn to total mush if you cook it
          too long. Depending on when you go to bed and when you get up, you could cook
          it overnight (if you're like me and sometimes am lucky to get 6 hours of
          sleep).

          Maria

        • rozfam5@ascent.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 31, 2002
            <<<<only problem is that the macaroni may turn to total mush if you cook it
            too long. >>>>

            I use whole wheat pasta - cooked "al dente", and don't have that problem.

            Annmarie