Re: yahoo sucks -- I'm considering moving the list

  • Myron Menaker
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 3, 2002
      Maria, I really wish there were some way we could encourage you to step
      out and say what's on your mind....and not hold back!

      From da beach,

      Myron

      Maria Rost Rublee wrote:

      > Hi, everyone, sorry we've had so many off-topic messages lately about
      > how
      > badly yahoo sucks. However, they have automatically set your
      > marketing
      > preferences to "share my e-mail and phone number and home address with
      > spammers." If you haven't already, please go to your yahoo account,
      > go to
      > preferences, and mark "NO" on everything.
      >
      > In addition, if you have ever bought anything from a yahoo-affiliated
      > store, they have taken your home phone number and address and now put
      > it
      > in with your yahoogroups account! And then released it to marketers
      > so
      > you can get more junk mail and telemarketing calls!
      >
      > What I did was edit my address and phone number to put in fake
      > information. My street address now reads, "111 goscrewyourselfyahoo
      > Dr.,
      > YAHOO-SUCKS, VA 22202."
      >
      > I am trying to move the list if possible, because they make money off
      > of
      > our posts. I can't see supporting these privacy invaders!
      >
      > I will give updates as we go along....

      Myron Menaker Daytona Beach FL USA
      myronm@... |
      \ / _\/_
      .-'-. //o\ _\/_
      -- / \ -- | /o\\
      jgs^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^-=======-~^~^~^~~^~^~^~|~~^~^|^~`
      I'd Rather Be Singing! | |
    • Janice Humphreys
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3, 2002
        Maria,

        I'm baffled. I've been to the Yahoo site but I can't find Marketing
        Preferences anywhere in my account information. Where is it supposed to be?

        Jan
        from England

        <slowcooker-subscribe@yahoogroups.com>
        <slowcooker-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com>
        > To contact the list owner, send a message to
        <slowcooker-owner@yahoogroups.com>

      • Maria Rost Rublee
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3, 2002
          Hi, everyone, I believe that the marketing preferences is only for
          U.S. Yahoo. I've heard from several UK subscribers that they can't find
          it on their account. You are the lucky ones! Maria

          On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Janice Humphreys wrote:

          > Maria,
          >
          > I'm baffled. I've been to the Yahoo site but I can't find Marketing
          > Preferences anywhere in my account information. Where is it supposed to be?
          >
          > Jan
          > from England

        • Val L
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 3, 2002
            Hi there everyone, I am a lurker here, thoroughly enjoying the list!
            I do know how to get the preferences showing....
            If anyone else doesn't have this link, please do this first and after you
            have changed your preferences you can switch it back. I think we all speak
            the same English, but if you switch your language preference to US-English
            instead of Can-English (or whatever country you are from), you will then
            have the link showing. Change those settings as instructed previously and
            then you can either leave your language as "US" or you can change it back to
            Canadian(or wherever you are from).....

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 3, 2002
                Hi Maria,
                I'm in Canada and the marketing preferences thing affected me too, not sure
                if my yahoo is 'US' or not but I'm glad I heard what they're doing. Does
                anyone know if this affects all yahoo members or just ones that belong to a
                group like this? Just curious so I can warn my friends too. Thanks!
                Susan in Canada

                http://groups.yahoo.com/messages/slowcooker

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 4, 2002
                  I would warn anyone that has used yahoo in the past to go check this
                  out. Better to be safe than sorry. If you get this e-mail, that means
                  you are on a yahoo list -- which means you need to check your marketing
                  preferences.

                  Maria

                • Robert and Monica Tittle
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 4, 2002
                    At 11:19 PM 4/3/02, you wrote:
                    >Hi Maria,
                    >I'm in Canada and the marketing preferences thing affected me too, not sure
                    >if my yahoo is 'US' or not but I'm glad I heard what they're doing. Does
                    >anyone know if this affects all yahoo members or just ones that belong to a
                    >group like this? Just curious so I can warn my friends too. Thanks!

                    From the reports that I've read it only effects people who have an account
                    with Yahoo. That means if you subscribed to the list by email and never
                    created a Yahoo profile you are ok.