rice pudding in slowcooker

  • pcambo
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
      Hi..I was talking to a friend today about slowcooker recipes and we
      were wondering if it would be possible to make ricepudding? Has
      anybody tried? He seemed to think the slowcooker didn't get hot
      enough to crack the rice or something.
      Thanks, Pauline
    • Dorrice Wallis
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2002
        Pauline, I found a recipe for Rice Pudding in Crockery Cookery (Mable
        Hoffman) but the directions say to cook the rice first. If y'all want I
        will post the recipe.
        Dorrice

        pcambo wrote:

        > Hi..I was talking to a friend today about slowcooker recipes and we
        > were wondering if it would be possible to make ricepudding? Has
        > anybody tried? He seemed to think the slowcooker didn't get hot
        > enough to crack the rice or something.
        > Thanks, Pauline
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        > To unsubscribe, send a message to
        > <slowcooker-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com>
        > To view the archives, go to
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/messages/slowcooker

      • Erica Kapoor
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2002
          i have a number of rice pudding recipes in my "fix it
          and forget it" book.

          here they are for you.

          old fashioned rice pudding.

          2 1/2 cups cooked rice
          1 1/2 cups evaporated milk or scalded milk
          2/3 cup brown or white sugar
          3 tbsp soft butter
          2 tsp vanilla
          1/2-1 tsp nutmeg
          3 eggs, beaten
          1/2-1 cup raisins

          1. mix together all ingredients. pour into lightly
          greased crock.

          2. cover and cook on high 2 hours or low 4-6 hours.
          stir after first hour.

          3. serve warm or cold.
          ****************************
          mama's rice pudding.

          1/2 cup uncooked white rice
          1/2 cup sugar
          1 tsp vanilla
          1 tsp lemon extract
          1 cup + 2 tbsp milk
          1 tsp butter
          2 eggs, beaten
          1 tsp cinnamon
          1/2 cup raisins
          1 cup whipping cream
          nutmeg

          1. combine all ingredients except the whipped cream
          and nutmeg in crock. stir well.

          2. cover pot. cook on low 6-7 hours, until rice is
          tender and milk absorbed. be sure to stir once every 2
          hours during cooking.

          3. pour into bowl. cover with plastic wrap and chill.

          4. before serving, fold in whipped cream and sprinkle
          with nutmeg.
          *****************************

          ann's rice pudding.

          1 cup uncooked, long grain white rice
          3 cups milk
          3 tbsp butter
          1/2 tsp salt
          3/4 cup sugar
          3 eggs, beaten
          1/2 tsp nutmeg
          1 tsp vanilla

          1. cook rice according to package directions.

          2. mix together all ingredients in gresed 1 1/2 qt.
          casserole dish. cover with greased foil and set inside
          slow cooker. add 1 cup water to slowcooker (around the
          outside of the casserole).

          3. cover and cook on high 2 hours.
          ***********************************

          dolores' rice pudding.

          1 cup white uncooked rice
          1 cup sugar
          8 cups milk
          3 eggs
          1 1/2 cups milk
          2 tsp vanilla
          1/4 tsp salt
          nutmeg or cinnamon

          1. in slowcooker, mix together rice, sugar and 8 cups
          milk.

          2. cook on high 3 hours.

          3. beat together eggs, 1 1/2 cups milk, vanilla and
          salt. add to slowcooker and stir.

          4. cook on high 25-30 minutes.

          5. sprinkle with nutmeg or cinnamon. serve warm.

          custard rice pudding.

          1/4 cup rice. uncooked.
          2 eggs
          1/3 cup sugar
          1/4 tsp salt
          1/2 tsp vanilla
          1 1/2 cups milk
          1/3 cup raisins
          nutmeg or cinnamon
          2 cups water

          1. cook rice according to package directions.

          2. beat together sugar, eggs, salt, vanilla, and milk.
          stir in rice with raisins.

          3. put in 1 quart baking dish that will fit into yuor
          slo cooker. sprinkle with nutmeg or cinnamon.

          4. cover with foil and set on metal trivet or a
          canning jar ring in bottom of slowcooker. pour water
          around casserole.

          5. cover cooker. cook on high 2-2 1/2 hours or until
          set.

          6. serve warm or cold.

          ~erica~

          --- pcambo <cpcambos2@...> wrote:
          > Hi..I was talking to a friend today about slowcooker
          > recipes and we
          > were wondering if it would be possible to make
          > ricepudding? Has
          > anybody tried? He seemed to think the slowcooker
          > didn't get hot
          > enough to crack the rice or something.
          > Thanks, Pauline

          http://sports.yahoo.com
        • Janice Humphreys
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 10, 2002
            Sorry I'm late in posting. I've vast quantities of e-mails yet to be read.
            However, yesterday I made rice pudding in my crockpot and it was really
            delicious. This is for eight (lots of leftovers for later in the week!)

            4 oz pudding rice
            2 pints milk
            2 oz caster sugar
            1 oz butter
            ground nutmeg
            pinch cinnamon

            I just heated up my crockpot as normal, as per in the instruction manual.
            Heat the milk and sugar together in a saucepan until boiling. Put this and
            the rest of the ingredients in the crockpot and gave it a good stir. Then
            just cooked it on High. I gave it a stir every so often which gave me an
            opportunity to see how it was cooking. It took about 2 1/2 hours in my
            crockpot.

            Delicious.

            Jan

            > Hi..I was talking to a friend today about slowcooker recipes and we
            > were wondering if it would be possible to make ricepudding? Has
            > anybody tried? He seemed to think the slowcooker didn't get hot
            > enough to crack the rice or something.
            > Thanks, Pauline

          • Janice Humphreys
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 11, 2002
              Kate - I used what is sold over here as pudding rice - specifically for rice puddings. The package doesn't give any other information on the type of rice, I'm afraid.

              Andrea - I use English (Imperial) pints - a pint being 575-600 ml (according to a book I have). Hope that's sufficient for you.

              I would say, however that this is one of those recipes that you can experiment with the quantities until you get just the result you like. For example the first time I made it in my slowcooker I used slightly more milk than 2 Imperial pints. Still made a really nice rice pudding. And you will notice that over here we don't add eggs to the mixture unlike many US rice pudding recipes I've seen. I can't think of a reason why you can't add eggs to the mixture. Or dried fruit....

              It's odd - ordinary cooking I always keep close to an actual recipe. When I'm using my slowcooker suddenly all my inhibitions go straight out the window and I start to experiment like mad... Really fun.

              Jan
              from England