frozen meat question for CP use

  • drlsgrl1261
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2001
      Hello,
      Being fairly new to the list I am sure that you have probably covered
      the question I am about to ask about using frozen chicken breasts in
      the crockpot a time or two. A trip to the archives has just made me
      more confused about what to do, LOL.

      My husband has bought a freezer full of individually wrapped steaks
      and chicken breasts. I am, of course, trying to think of inventive
      ways to use them and get my limited freezer space back. The chicken
      breasts are like restaurant sized portions, maybe 3-4 oz. pieces so I
      think they will cook more quickly than what I might purchase from the
      grocer's meat case. The beef is maybe half inch thick and 6 oz
      uncooked?

      So let me get this straight in my mind. Some of the archived recipes
      have said to just spray the pot with pam while others use a cooking
      bag. (I assume that these are the clear Reynolds type cooking bags
      like you might use to roast a turkey?) Is either one okay as long as
      there is something like a can of soup or another liquid is added with
      it? Do an hour on high and then cut back to low for 4 hours or so?
      It appears that stuffing mix or rice of some sort is a good addition
      that will complete the casserole.

      The chicken breasts are kind of thin and actually would be easy to
      flatten for a rolled up type of dish too---like cordon bleu, stuffing
      or rice, cheddar cheese and sun dried tomatoes mix or something like
      that if they were thawed first. That's getting off on another
      tangent all together but I am open to suggestions and your
      expertise. Would it help to know that I have a 5 qt. Rival with
      removable crock? I am home during the day and can "baby sit" the
      pot.

      Thanks for your help,

      Linda J in AL