White Chili

  • Clowns With Class
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 30, 2001
      AAAGGGHHH!!!!!! A very nice lady needed the recipe for White Chili and I
      offered to send it to her. By the time I found my recipes, I lost her
      address!! >:( I am sorry, Ma'am, and hope these recipes help. There's one
      for ground turkey and 2 for chicken:

      CROCKPOT WHITE CHILI - originally posted by "Kylesmom"

      1.25 lbs ground turkey
      1 cup chopped onion
      1/2 cup diced green pepper
      1 tsp minced garlic
      1 tsp Oregano
      2 tsp Cumin
      3 cans (15 oz or so) Cannellini Beans (or any white bean)
      1 cup chicken broth
      1 tsp chili powder
      1/2 tsp salt
      1/4 tsp pepper

      Brown the ground turkey with onion, green pepper, garlic, and oregano and
      put it in the crockpot. Add 2 cans beans along with broth, cumin, chili
      powder, salt and pepper. Let it cook a bit on low. In the blender, blend the
      remaining can of beans and add it to the chili. cook on low til done.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Favorite Crockpot White Chili-

      1 lb chicken, cut up into small chunks (I like to use boneless breasts for
      their "ease" and lower fat content)
      1 cup chopped onion
      1 can (or the equivalent) chicken broth
      2 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
      2 tsp Cumin seed (the whole seed is important - the ground type will not
      withstand the long cooking time and will make your chili "muddy")
      1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves (same as with the cumin, use the leaves, not
      ground)
      3 -15oz cans white beans (great northern or cannellini)
      1 or 2 chopped red, green or yellow bell peppers
      jalapeno chili peppers, fresh, jarred or canned, optional or 'to taste'
      (depending on how much heat you like!)

      In a 4 or 6 quart crockery cooker combine the chicken, onions, chicken
      broth, garlic, cumin and oregano.
      Let cook awhile on low (approx. 3-5 hours, depending on your schedule)
      Add drained beans. (Remember, you are just heating them up here have already
      been cooked.)

      Now here is the important part if you don't want mushy chili... Add the bell
      peppers and jalapeno peppers (if using) no earlier than the last hour or
      hour and a half before serving.

      Top each serving with shredded Monterey jack cheese and or broken tortilla
      chips if desired.
      Shared by "boathoff"
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Chili Gringo (white Chili) -

      1 cn Cooking Oil Spray (Pam)
      1 tb Olive Oil
      1 lb Chicken Breast; skinned, boned, diced
      1/2 c Shallots; chopped
      3 Cloves Garlic; minced
      1 cn Tomatillas (18oz); drained and coarsley chopped
      1 cn Tomatoes; chopped but not drained
      1 cn Chicken Broth (13oz)
      1 cn Chopped Green Chile Peppers; not drained
      1/2 ts Oregano flakes
      1/2 ts Coriander Seeds; crushed
      1/4 ts Ground Cumin
      2 cn Cannellini Beans; drained
      3 tb Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice
      1/4 ts Black Pepper
      1/4 c Sharp lowfat Cheddar cheese; grated

      Spray a large skillet with Pam, add Olive Oil and heat on medium high until
      hot. Add diced Chicken and saute for 3 minutes or until done. Remove Chicken
      from pan and set aside. Add Shallots and Garlic to the pan and saute until
      tender. Stir in Tomatillas,Tomatoes, Chicken Broth, Chile Peppers, and
      Spices. Bring to a boil, reduce and simmer 20 minutes. Add Chicken and,
      Beans, cook for 5 minutes, stir in Lime Juice and Pepper, heat and serve up
      into Chili Bowls topped with Cheese.

      Or place all ingredients, except Cheese, in a Crockpot and cook for 8 hours.
      From justcrockpotrecipes.com

      <*}:o)

      "I've been on a constant diet for the last two decades. I've
      lost a total of 789 pounds. By all accounts, I should be hanging
      from a charm bracelet."
      ~ Erma Bombeck
    • Clowns With Class
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 5, 2001
        I'm sorry if this came through before. I didn't see it, and it is important
        to me that this lady not feel I was ignoring her.

        <*}:o)

        "Some family trees bear an enormous crop of nuts."
        ~ Wayne H.

        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 24 7:58 AM
          Help! I used to have a recipe for White Chili (made with chicken) that I got
          from this group, but we moved and now I can't find it! I would love to make
          it for Sunday. It had navy beans, chicken, and broth in it. Thanks for your
          help.

          B in St. Louis

        • savvick@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 24 11:17 AM
            White Chili

            3 15-oz. cans Great Northern Beans, drained
            8 oz. cooked and shredded Chicken breast
            1 cup chopped onions
            1 1/2 cups chopped yellow, red or green peppers
            2 Jalapeno Choli peppers, stemmed, seeded and chopped (opt)
            2 garlic cloves, minced
            2 tsp. ground cumin
            1/2 tsp. salt
            1/2 tsp. dried oregano
            3 1/2 cups chicken broth
            sour cream
            shredded Cheddar cheese
            Tortilla chips

            1.  Combine all ingreduents execot sour cream, cheddar cheese, and chips in
            slow cooker.
            2.  Cover.  Cook on low 8-10 hours, or High 4-5 hours.
            3.  Ladle into bowls and top individual servings with sour cream, cheese and
            chips.

          • George Schuller
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 24 11:39 AM
              White Chicken Chili

              (serve this crock-pot chili with a small amount of nonfat sour cream or fat-free yogurt. If
              you don't have a crock pot, cook it in a covered casserole in the oven set at 250°F. )

              Ingredients
              1 tablespoon olive oil
              3/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
              1 large onion, chopped
              2 cloves garlic, minced
              1 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
              2 cans (12 ounces each) navy beans, rinsed and drained
              1 teaspoon dry mustard
              1 teaspoon ground cumin
              1/2 teaspoon salt
              1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
              1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded fat-reduced extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
              4 cups baked tortilla chips

              1. Warm oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook 10 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink, stirring frequently. Remove and set aside.
              2. Add onion and garlic to the skillet and cook 5 minutes, or until tender.
              3. Spoon the cooked chicken, onion, and garlic into to a crock pot. Add wine or stock,
              beans, mustard, cumin, salt and pepper.
              4. Simmer on low 5 to 6 hours.
              5. Serve over tortilla chips and sprinkle with cheese.

              Makes 6 servings

              Per serving: 357 calories, 27 g. protein, 43 g. carbohydrates, 6 g. fat, 40 mg. cholesterol,
              867 mg. sodium, 2 g. fiber

              >>> <SAVANAL@...> 10/24/02 09:58AM >>>
              Help! I used to have a recipe for White Chili (made with chicken) that I got
              from this group, but we moved and now I can't find it! I would love to make
              it for Sunday. It had navy beans, chicken, and broth in it. Thanks for your
              help.

              B in St. Louis

              Copyright, 2002, Maria Rost Rublee.

            • auntiej500@netscape.net
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 24, 2004
                I made this for tonight's dinner. It tastes fabulous. We like chicken and we like white beans. Should have been a winner. I'm not sure monochromatic food is for me, though. There's no eye appeal at all. Perhaps someone more experienced can offer some improvement ideas. For now, I'll plan to add some frozen veggies (peas, carrots, corn) to liven it up.

                NOTE: I used canned beans, not dry beans. There's more broth than I expected for a "chili"; it looks more like soup. And the yield is far more than the advertised 6 servings. I would guess around 10 servings.

                This dish does taste good... somehow it just doesn't look like the picture I had in my head! I'll be interested in your feedback!

                White Chili

                1 pound dry great northern beans, rinsed and sorted
                4 cups chicken broth
                2 cups chopped onions
                3 garlic cloves, minced
                2 teaspoons ground cumin
                1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
                1 teaspoon ground coriander
                1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
                1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
                1 can (4-oz) chopped green chilies
                ½ pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, grilled and cubed
                1 teaspoon salt

                Place beans in a soup kettle or Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Place beans in a slow cooker. Add the broth, onions, garlic, and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until beans are almost tender. Add the chilies, chicken and salt; cover and cook for 1 hour or until the beans are tender. Serve with cheese.

                6 servings (1-1/3 cups)

                Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

                Netscape. Just the Net You Need.