Re: [slowcooker] What am i doing wrong??

  • PaulaCat@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2001
      Sarah,

      How much chicken and sauce did you have in your 6-qt. cooker? Was it at least
      2/3 full? If not, I suspect that's your problem. Most slowcooker guidelines
      I've seen recommend that the pot be at least 2/3 full to cook correctly. I
      sometimes cheat down to 1/2 full, but that's in a 2 1/2 qt. cooker with a
      glass lid. Like everyone else, I've cooked one or two less-than-perfect
      dishes in my crockpot but I've never had anything "burn" like yours did.

      You also mentioned your "little" Rival. Is it the 1-quart crockette with only
      one heat setting? If so, that would explain your problems with it. I also
      have one, and recipes specifically for the crockette seem to work best.

      I'd be interested in hearing about your future successes.

      Paula
    • Sarah Sempleton
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2001
        There has to be some problem with your lid allowing moisture to escape. If
        anything, I find that my foods turn out too moist. Also, that might be a
        bit long for chicken.

        >From: "Sarah" <anschris@...>
        >To: <slowcooker@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [slowcooker] What am i doing wrong??
        >Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 16:55:40 -0800
        >
        >OK, so I just finished reading the message Nicole sent, with all the
        >Crockpot Cooking guidelines. My question is, since I always follow recipe
        >directions, WHY can't I cook a decent meal in my crockpot?? I've had two
        >completely ruined dinners in the last two weeks; it only happens when I use
        >the CP.
        >
        >I *thought* I could blame it on my little "cooks-too-hot" Rival, but
        >recently got a new 6-qt West Bend CP and ruined dinner in it again last
        >night.
        >
        >The problems seem to be that the food burns on the sides (cooking at low)
        >and all my liquid seems to boil away! Last night's dinner was chicken
        >covered with tomato sauce & seasonings; after cooking it 8 hours there was
        >tomato leather on the chicken and literally only 2Tbsp of sauce left in the
        >bottom of the pot. Everything else was burned to the sides. It tasted
        >awful.
        >
        >Suggestions, anyone? I LOVE the idea of a CP but so far there is nothing
        >convenient about it :`(
        >
        >TIA, Sarah

      • The Halls
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 3, 2001
          I have found that, with a few exceptions, I cannot cook more than about 4
          hours even on low in my CP. (Exceptions being stews/chili/sauces...) It is
          frustrating because I really can't leave all day and come home to a cooked
          meal. Chicken seems especially bad--boneless breasts I can only go about
          2-3 hours, even on low. Putting things in frozen seems to help some, though
          I know there is debate about the safety of that. (Never hurt us, though...)
          Anyway, sorry to be no help.
          Amy in KY
          > OK, so I just finished reading the message Nicole sent, with all the
          Crockpot Cooking guidelines. My question is, since I always follow recipe
          directions, WHY can't I cook a decent meal in my crockpot?? I've had two
          completely ruined dinners in the last two weeks; it only happens when I use
          the CP.

          > I *thought* I could blame it on my little "cooks-too-hot" Rival, but
          recently got a new 6-qt West Bend CP and ruined dinner in it again last
          night.

          > The problems seem to be that the food burns on the sides (cooking at low)
          and all my liquid seems to boil away! Last night's dinner was chicken
          covered with tomato sauce & seasonings; after cooking it 8 hours there was
          tomato leather on the chicken and literally only 2Tbsp of sauce left in the
          bottom of the pot. Everything else was burned to the sides. It tasted awful.

          > Suggestions, anyone? I LOVE the idea of a CP but so far there is nothing
          convenient about it :`(

          > TIA, Sarah

        • Bonnie S. Howell
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 4, 2001
            I have an 18 yr old $9.99 Rival crockpot with no lid (use aluminum foil) and
            it turns out perfectly every time, whether I cook on low or high. If your
            crockpot is cooking too hot, I'd reduce the amount of time it cooks.

            Bonnie

            > There has to be some problem with your lid allowing moisture to escape.
            If
            > anything, I find that my foods turn out too moist. Also, that might be a
            > bit long for chicken.
            >

            > >From: "Sarah" <anschris@...>
            > >To: <slowcooker@yahoogroups.com>
            > >Subject: [slowcooker] What am i doing wrong??
            > >Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 16:55:40 -0800
            > >
            > >OK, so I just finished reading the message Nicole sent, with all the
            > >Crockpot Cooking guidelines. My question is, since I always follow recipe
            > >directions, WHY can't I cook a decent meal in my crockpot?? I've had two
            > >completely ruined dinners in the last two weeks; it only happens when I
            use
            > >the CP.
            > >
            > >I *thought* I could blame it on my little "cooks-too-hot" Rival, but
            > >recently got a new 6-qt West Bend CP and ruined dinner in it again last
            > >night.
            > >
            > >The problems seem to be that the food burns on the sides (cooking at low)
            > >and all my liquid seems to boil away! Last night's dinner was chicken
            > >covered with tomato sauce & seasonings; after cooking it 8 hours there
            was
            > >tomato leather on the chicken and literally only 2Tbsp of sauce left in
            the
            > >bottom of the pot. Everything else was burned to the sides. It tasted
            > >awful.
            > >
            > >Suggestions, anyone? I LOVE the idea of a CP but so far there is nothing
            > >convenient about it :`(
            > >
            > >TIA, Sarah

          • Clowns With Class
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 5, 2001
              Bonnie, I had an old crockpot I loved and when the lid broke I used a plate
              as a cover. LOL! We sure do get attached to our crocks, eh?

              As for Sarah's problem with food running dry, I agree with other folks who
              said check around the lid for leaks first. Even if the crock is running a
              bit hot, I can't imagine it running dry like that without some place for the
              moisture to get out, IMHO. I put a roast into one of my crocks at 3:30 AM
              last night for a luncheon today, and was surprised a few hours later to see
              my crock really boiling the gravy on LOW, but it hadn't cooked dry at all.
              (I had suspected that crockpot cooked hotter than my other 2. The other 2
              only get that rolling boil on HI) Because I didn't have any leaks, I still
              had plenty of liquid when it was done.

              If that is not the problem, then I would say it ran too high for too long
              for that cut of meat. Crocking shouldn't be this hard, eh, Sarah? Good
              luck.

              <*}:o)

              "No man is an island, but some
              of us are pretty long peninsulas."