Meat Loaf

  • hkbs
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 30, 2001
      Thanks so much to all who have replied. I shall have plenty to try over the
      next few weeks!

      Some of the recipes look as if they would be better served hot - and I
      particularly want the one I make for tomorrow to be served cold. (BTW: any
      ideas for a cold sauce?)

      Will let you know how it turns out!!

      Thanks again

      Anne in UK
    • amberlane@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 31, 2001
        I would think that any meat loaf recipe would work-I do crockpot meat loaf frequently-unfortunately I don't have a recipe-I tend to throw in whatever I have on hand. Usually ground meat, eggs, worsteshire sauce (I can't spell it either) poultry seasoning, onions, (or if you can get picsweet seasoning blend-peppers, onions, celery, and parsley already chopped up and frozen) garlic powder and any other spices in the house that strike my fancy. My twist for a healthier version of meatloaf is instead of cracker crumbs or bread crumbs I like to use shredded cabbage (I cheat-the bought slaw mix works great) If I don't have the slaw mix I use either oatmeal or a box of stuffing mix with the seasoning packet. Crushed cornflakes work ok too-but my picky husband doesn't like to eat healthy, so using the slaw mix is a real help and it really gives it a good flavor. If you can avoid it, don't add your topping (tomato sauce, spaghetti sauce, chopped tomatoes or uggh-if you must, ketchup) untill the last 15-30 minutes of cooking-makes cleaning the crockpot much easier.
      • shatzi52
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 9, 2005
          This comes from Fix It and Forget It Lightly posted by Jody Moore in
          IN

          1/2 lb. extra-lean ground beef
          1 lb. lean ground turkey
          1 med. size onion chopped
          2 eggs
          2/3 cup dry quick oats
          1 envelope dry onion soup mix
          1/2-1 tsp. liquid smoke
          1 tsp. dry mustard
          1 cup ketchup, divided

          Mix beef, turkey and chopped onion thoroughly
          Combine with eggs, oats, dry soup mix, liquid smoke, mustard and all
          but 2 tbls. of ketchup
          Shape into load and place in slow cooker sprayed with non-fat
          cooking spray. Top with remaining ketchup

          Cover. Cook on low 8-10 hours or on high 4-6 hours

          Posted by Joan of CO