Re:Italian Beef in a Bucket

  • HaguePoo@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3 6:32 PM
      I can't wait to make this, but I do have a question. What is
      giardiniera and can I buy it at a regular grocery store?
      Thanks for the help.
      Juanita

      Italian Beef in a bucket

      > Recipe By : Chicago Sun Times
      > Categories : Beef Crockpot
      > Dinner

      > - -------- ------------ --------------------------------
      > 3 1/2 pounds beef roast, sirloin tip or rump roast
      > 12 ounces (jar) Italian Giardiniera -- drained
      > 12 ounces (jar) pepperoncini peppers
      > 1 envelope Italian salad dressing (zesty Italian)
      > 10 ounce can beef broth
      >
      > Place roast in slow cooker (3 1/2 quart). Mix all other ingredients
      > together, draining oil from giardiniera. (When adding giardiniera and
      > pepperoncini, use 1/2 jar for a mild version of all for a spicier
      > version).
      >
      > Add all ingredients to slow cooker, cover and cook for 18 (yes, that's
      > right, eighteen) hours on LOW.
      >
      > Meat will be very tender - can use a fork to pull apart.

    • Miller
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3 7:31 PM
        > I can't wait to make this, but I do have a question. What is
        > giardiniera and can I buy it at a regular grocery store?
        > Thanks for the help.
        > Juanita
        You can get this in the pickle section of the grocery store. Near where
        the pepperoncini peppers are.
        Margaret

        --
        mailto:jmiller@...
      • Taryn Schilling
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 4, 2002
          This was found on this list also in 2001. It was published in the Chicago Sun Times via EatL list

          3 1/2 pound Sirloin tip or rump beef roast (have used rump roast usually)
          12 oz. jar Italian Giardineira, drained
          12 oz. jar Pepperoncini peppers
          1 envelope Zesty Italian salad dressing (I think it's called Good Seasons that I have used in a white package with green stripes)
          10 ounces Beef broth

          Place roast in 3.5 quart slowcooker. Mix all other ingredients together, draining oil from giardineira and pepperoncini. When adding giardineira and pepperoncini, use half jar for a milder version, the entire jar for spicy (and this is very spicy!!!) Add all ingredients to slowcooker and cook for 18 (yes, that's correct, 18 hours) on LOW. Meat will be very tender and can be pulled apart with a fork.

          My dh loves spicy foods and he and his friends can't get enough of this. It does smell the house up quite a bit but is very good. I serve it on sub rolls or deli rolls I can find in the store with mozzarella or provolone cheese, and I like marinara sauce on mine. It kind of takes away some of the spiciness. I have just bought Ragu Pizza Quick which is cheap and tastes good. I have never tried this with half the jars for less spicy so let me know how it comes out if any of you do.

          Enjoy!!!

          Taryn
          Indiana