Re: [slowcooker] new to the list too!!!

  • peach20007@cs.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2001
      Hi. I am kind of new too. I joined a couple weeks ago and have been reading
      all the recipes. They all sound good.

      Yesterday I did make the split pea soup that someone left the recipe for.
      Instead of using 8 cups of water, I used 6.5 cups of water. I cooked it on
      high for 6 hours and then took the lid off the crock pot for the last hour.
      I also changed the recipe. Could not find some good ham bones so I add 1 cup
      chopped ham, 1 cup chopped red onions, 1 cup chopped celery, 1/2 teas.
      Italian seasoning instead of thyme, and added salt, pepper, and garlic powder
      to taste.

      It was so good that I had 2 bowls of the soup.

      BTW, my crock pot is the old Rival 3.5 quart orange model. It is over 25
      years old. My lid broke so I have been using a metal lid from a stock pot I
      have. I went on the Internet last night looking for a site where I might get
      a new lid. Even went to Rival's web site. No luck. Does anyone have any
      ideas?

      Carol in Reno, NV

    • Myron Menaker
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2001
        Dear Carol,

        Over the years, I have found lids at thrift shops and flea markets. Cut
        out a cardboard template of the right size and keep it in your car to
        use as a measuring device.

        Crockin' at the beach,

        Myron in Florida

        PS Your soup sounds good!!

        peach20007@... wrote:

        > Hi. I am kind of new too. I joined a couple weeks ago and have been reading
        > all the recipes. They all sound good.
        >
        > Yesterday I did make the split pea soup that someone left the recipe for.
        > Instead of using 8 cups of water, I used 6.5 cups of water. I cooked it on
        > high for 6 hours and then took the lid off the crock pot for the last hour.
        > I also changed the recipe. Could not find some good ham bones so I add 1 cup
        > chopped ham, 1 cup chopped red onions, 1 cup chopped celery, 1/2 teas.
        > Italian seasoning instead of thyme, and added salt, pepper, and garlic powder
        > to taste.
        >
        > It was so good that I had 2 bowls of the soup.
        >
        > BTW, my crock pot is the old Rival 3.5 quart orange model. It is over 25
        > years old. My lid broke so I have been using a metal lid from a stock pot I
        > have. I went on the Internet last night looking for a site where I might get
        > a new lid. Even went to Rival's web site. No luck. Does anyone have any
        > ideas?

        Myron Menaker Daytona Beach FL USA
        myronm@... |
        \ / _\/_