Beef Stew

  • judyd212@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 28, 2001
      Hi:
      I am looking for a recipe for an easy Beef Stew made without red
      sauce. Can anyone help me? Please.

      Thanks,
      Judy D.
    • luv2quilt33@dtgnet.com
      Message 2 of 30 , Mar 1 5:12 AM
        --- In slowcooker@y..., judyd212@w... wrote:
        > Hi:
        > I am looking for a recipe for an easy Beef Stew made without
        red
        > sauce. Can anyone help me? Please.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Judy D.

        Judy,

        I posted this recipe a while back. It is very simple.

        1 to 1/2 pounds stew beef, cut into bite-sized pieces
        4 to 5 potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
        1 or 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
        6 to 8 cups beef broth
        minced onion, to taste
        3 T. corn starch (optional)
        3 T. water (optional)

        Place stew meat, potatoes, carrots, beef broth and minced onion in
        crock pot. Cook on low about 7-8 hours. For a thick gravy, mix corn
        starch with the water and add to the stew about 1/2 hour before
        serving.

        My family prefers stew with just potatoes and carrots. However, I
        believe additional veggies could be added to this basic recipe to
        suit your preferences.
      • Myron Menaker
        Message 3 of 30 , Mar 1 6:13 AM
          Dear Judy,

          Beef Stew is one of those impromptu dishes which I create on the spot,
          using whatever ingredients I have on hand, but this one will work:

          Easy Beef Stew

          2-3 lbs. beef, cubed (see note)
          1 c. celery, in one-inch pieces
          4 carrots, chunked
          2-3 medium potatoes, chunked
          1 onion, sliced
          2 c. water
          3 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
          spices, to taste (bay leaf, oregano, thyme?)
          salt and pepper

          Note: Most recipes call for "stew beef." If that costs $2.98/lb. and you
          see round or chuck steaks for $1.79/lb., cut the steak into cubes! You
          get the idea....cheaper is just as good!

          Mix all ingredients; crock on low all day, at least 10 hours. Dip crusty
          bread in the juice....yummmmm!

          judyd212@... wrote:

          > Hi:
          > I am looking for a recipe for an easy Beef Stew made without red
          > sauce. Can anyone help me? Please.

          --------========********<O>********========-------------
          Myron Menaker Daytona Beach FL USA
          myronm@... |
          \ / _\/_
          .-'-. //o\ _\/_
          -- / \ -- | /o\\
          jgs^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^-=======-~^~^~^~~^~^~^~|~~^~^|^~`
          I'd rather be singing! | |
          --------========********<O>********========-------------
        • Plummy
          Message 4 of 30 , Mar 1 6:40 AM
            This is our favorite beef stew and it doesn't call for tomatoes at all.

            1 1/2 - 2 pounds of beef stew meat
            1/4 cup flour
            1 1/2 tsp salt
            1/2 tsp pepper
            1 1/2 cup beef broth
            1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
            1 clove garlic
            1 bay leaf
            1 tsp paprika
            4 carrots sliced
            4 potatoes peeled and diced

            place meat in crockpot. Mix flour, salt, pepper, and paprika together. Pour over stew meat and stir to coat meat with flour. Add remaining ingredients. Cook on low for 8 hours. Remove bay leaf before serving.

            I buy the stew meat already cut up and usually cut those chunks of meat in half so they aren't so big. (I have small children so this is easier for them). I also use 2 or 3 cans of beef broth and then add water to cover the whole thing. I add more potatoes and carrots also. This is usually nice and thick not runny, but if it isn't thick enough at the end of cooking, you can always add flour and water mixture to thicken it up some.
            If you try this I hope you enjoy!!!

            Enjoy!!!

            Kim

            I am looking for a recipe for an easy Beef Stew made without red
            sauce. Can anyone help me? Please.

            Thanks,
            Judy D.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Click here for Classmates.com

          • NParks4039@aol.com
            Message 5 of 30 , Mar 1 9:18 AM
              One easy way of making Beef Stew is to use a package of stew spice mix found
              in the section where the gravy packets and such are found. There are a
              couple of different brands and they are all about the same. You just follow
              the pkg. amounts but instead of cooking on the stove combine everything in
              your slow cooker and cook 12 hours or so on low. I usually use 2 bags of
              frozen stew vegetables and 2 pounds of stew meat. I would like to say though
              that I have founds that making stew with either tomato sauce of tomato soup
              is really good. I was wary of this the first time I tried it because I
              didn't want the stew to be tomatoie tasting but found that there was no
              tomato taste and instead just a really rich beef stew flavor. Recently I
              came up with my own recipe where I combined 2 pounds of stew beef, a couple
              of tbsps. of flower a couple of tbsps. of Worcestershire sauce, a can of
              tomato soup, some steak spice, two beef bouillon cubes, two bags of frozen
              stew vegetables and enough water to cover. I cooked an hour on high and
              about 8 hours on low and then turned back to hight and added a little corn
              starch paste and cooked about another hour on high. It turned out really
              well.

              Nancy
              << Hi:
              I am looking for a recipe for an easy Beef Stew made without red
              sauce. Can anyone help me? Please.

              Thanks,
              Judy D. >>
            • Cindy McKinnon
              Message 6 of 30 , Mar 2 5:31 AM
                This recipe is a really quick and easy recipe for beef stew. I was
                desperate for
                something to throw on for supper one afternoon when I remembered an
                appointment
                that I had that afternoon. I looked around to see what I had and just threw
                couple of ingredients into the crockpot, and it is my husband's favorite
                dish now.

                Cindy's Simple Stew

                1 pkg Stouffers Skillet Sensations - Homestyle Beef
                1 pkg Knorr's Onion Gravy mix
                1 cup water

                Pour the Homestyle Beef into the crockpot. Mix the water and the Knorr's
                gravy
                mix together and pour over the Homestyle Beef. Stir it all together,
                coating the meat and vegetables with the gravy. Cover. Cook on low for 3
                to 4 hours.

                This serves two (small servings).

                Cindy McKinnon

                Message: 1

                • WOWMAW@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 30 , Mar 8 8:03 PM
                    Sorry, Maria...I should have known better...here's that yummy beef
                    stew recipe that I was talking about in my last post.
                    I substituted Season-All and dried onion for the bay leaf and
                    paprika. This had a very good flavor. Both kids loved it!

                    Angie

                    http://groups.yahoo.com/messages/slowcooker

                    Service.

                  • brenda
                    Message 9 of 30 , May 18, 2003
                      From Chirstine

                      Beef Stew

                      2 pounds beef chuck or stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
                      1/4 cup flour
                      1 1/2 teaspoons salt
                      1/2 teaspoon pepper
                      1 1/2 cups beef broth
                      1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
                      1 clove garlic, minced
                      1 bay leaf
                      1 teaspoon paprika
                      4 carrots, sliced
                      3 potatoes, diced
                      2 onions, chopped
                      1 stalk celery, sliced
                      2 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet, optional

                      Place meat in crockpot. Mix flour, salt and pepper and pour over meat;
                      stir to coat meat with flour. Add remaining ingredients and stir to mix
                      well. Cover and cook on low for 10 to 12 hours or high for 4 to 6 hours.
                      Stir stew thoroughly before serving.

                      * Group Owner of *
                      *CROCK POTTING MAMA'Z*
                      * To Join this group Email me it is invite only*

                      Crock_Potting_Mamaz@yahoogroups.com

                    • Michael DeMatteo
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jul 3, 2003
                        Beef Stew

                        Nothing warms and satisfies like a bowl of stew! Serve with a tossed salad and bread for a well-rounded meal.

                        Serving: 4
                        Prep Time: 15 minutes minutes
                        Cook Time: 480 minutes
                        Total Time: 495 minutes

                        1 pound lean stew beef
                        1 pound baby carrots
                        4 medium red potatoes, diced
                        4 stalks celery, diced
                        1 onion, peeled and diced
                        1 10.75-ounce can reduced-fat tomato soup
                        1 cup red wine or cooking wine
                        4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced (bottled is fine)
                        1 bay leaf
                        4 whole cloves
                        Salt and black pepper to taste
                        1 (10-ounce) package frozen peas

                        Place all ingredients except peas in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. Stir in peas. Remove bay leaf and cloves before serving.

                        Based on individual serving.

                        Calories: 573
                        Total Fat: 12 g
                        Carbohydrates: 67 g
                        Protein: 49 g

                      • MWh2564305@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 30 , Oct 29, 2004
                          I need a good tried and true beef stew recipe if anyone has one.
                          Thanks,
                          Michelle

                        • Connie
                          Message 12 of 30 , Oct 21, 2006
                            Hi. Saw a recipe somewhere on the net two days ago (October 17th?) for
                            beef stew with diced or stewed tomatoes and one or two other
                            ingredients but no potatoes or carrots. Did anyone see it or do you
                            have a similar recipe?
                            Thanks! COC
                          • triketreker@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 3, 2006
                              Does anyone have an idea they use to make beef stew a bit more, um, festive.
                              It seems stew, is stew, is stew. I am in a rut!! I could really use some
                              new ideas!!

                              Thanks,
                              Sherri
                              in COLD Indianapolis

                            • Kim Malo
                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 3, 2006
                                At 07:39 PM 12/3/2006, triketreker@... wrote:
                                >Does anyone have an idea they use to make beef stew a bit more, um, festive.
                                >It seems stew, is stew, is stew. I am in a rut!! I could really use some
                                >new ideas!!

                                Well I dunno as I'd call it especially festive, but I posted one I
                                made recently that was certainly not the same old same old, because I
                                based it on some aromatic root veggies
                                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/slowcooker/message/32297 I wanted to
                                use up. It had a decidedly veggie taste, although you'd certainly
                                never have to wonder if there was beef in there, and the veggie taste
                                was a mix of veggie flavors vs any one being overwhelming..

                                Tough to know what to offer different without knowing what you do
                                already. But basically in the slowcooker, since that deadens the
                                taste of herbs, I rely more on aromatics and flavors in the food
                                itself, like using garlic or tomatoes in a lot of my sauces or
                                gravies. Or you could either marinate the meat in some red wine or
                                use some as part of the cooking liquid. Alternatively you could use
                                beer and make a Flemish Carbonnade. Adding some balsamic vinegar to
                                the gravy gives it a new flavor.

                                There's a Chinese flavored beef stew I remembered thinking sounded
                                interesting in the archives, although I haven't made it yet
                                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/slowcooker/message/21782
                                Or this crockpot chop suey is just another sort of stew
                                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/slowcooker/message/11350
                                And here's a variation on Greek stifado from the archives
                                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/slowcooker/message/20109

                                Anyway, hopefully that will get some ideas started. I don't really
                                use recipes much myself so the ingredients vary enough that my stews,
                                based on what I have at hand and how inspired I'm feeling, are
                                usually pretty different from each other to begin with.
                                Kim
                              • siharmon@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 3, 2006
                                  In a message dated 12/3/2006 8:53:57 P.M. Central Standard Time,
                                  kmalo17@... writes:

                                  But basically in the slowcooker, since that deadens the
                                  taste of herbs, I rely more on aromatics and flavors in the food
                                  itself, like using garlic or tomatoes in a lot of my sauces or
                                  gravies.

                                  You know, I would appreciate a basic list of things like this that you have
                                  learned. I tend to just toss stuff in the pot, and for once, I have not been
                                  very scientific about it, meaning I haven't kept any records ;-)

                                  Maybe a section on the archives with tips like this would be a good baseline
                                  of information for all of us, especially the newbies.

                                  Scott

                                • Kim Malo
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Dec 4, 2006
                                    At 10:19 PM 12/3/2006, siharmon@... wrote:

                                    >In a message dated 12/3/2006 8:53:57 P.M. Central Standard Time,
                                    >kmalo17@... writes:
                                    >
                                    >But basically in the slowcooker, since that deadens the
                                    >taste of herbs, I rely more on aromatics and flavors in the food
                                    >itself, like using garlic or tomatoes in a lot of my sauces or
                                    >gravies.
                                    >

                                    >You know, I would appreciate a basic list of things like this that you have
                                    >learned. I tend to just toss stuff in the pot, and for once, I have not been
                                    >very scientific about it, meaning I haven't kept any records ;-)
                                    >
                                    >Maybe a section on the archives with tips like this would be a good baseline
                                    >of information for all of us, especially the newbies.

                                    There already is an FAQ in the files section of the group site
                                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/slowcooker/files/ that includes
                                    helpful basics, and people have posted over and over sheets of some
                                    of the same helpful hints to the list - try searching under hints or tips.
                                    Kim
                                  • Kay Seiler
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Dec 4, 2006
                                      I've also learned - the hard way - that while herbs and spices decrease in
                                      flavor in a CP, some flavorings get stronger. I made a beef stew in the
                                      pressure cooker that included 3 T of worcestershire sauce, and the stew was
                                      delicious. In fact, friends practically beg for it. When I used the same
                                      recipe in the slow cooker, it tasted as though I'd dumped an entire bottle
                                      of worcestershire sauce into it. It was almost inedible.

                                      Kay

                                      God is good!

                                      >From: siharmon@...
                                      >To: slowcooker@yahoogroups.com
                                      >Subject: Re: [slowcooker] Beef Stew
                                      >Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 22:19:28 EST
                                      >

                                      >In a message dated 12/3/2006 8:53:57 P.M. Central Standard Time,
                                      >kmalo17@... writes:
                                      >
                                      >But basically in the slowcooker, since that deadens the
                                      >taste of herbs, I rely more on aromatics and flavors in the food
                                      >itself, like using garlic or tomatoes in a lot of my sauces or
                                      >gravies.
                                      >

                                      >You know, I would appreciate a basic list of things like this that you have
                                      >learned. I tend to just toss stuff in the pot, and for once, I have not
                                      >been
                                      >very scientific about it, meaning I haven't kept any records ;-)
                                      >
                                      >Maybe a section on the archives with tips like this would be a good
                                      >baseline
                                      >of information for all of us, especially the newbies.
                                      >
                                      >Scott

                                      >To view our recipe of the month contest winners, go to
                                      >http://malincholia.com/slowcookerwinners.htm
                                      >To contact the list owner, send a message to
                                      >slowcooker-owner@yahoogroups.com
                                      >=====
                                      >Copyright, 2006, Maria Rost Rublee.
                                      >=====
                                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      Get free, personalized commercial-free online radio with MSN Radio powered
                                      by Pandora http://radio.msn.com/?icid=T002MSN03A07001
                                    • Kim Malo
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Dec 4, 2006
                                        Sure. The FAQ bit on this, if you read it, actually allows for both
                                        cases by noting that some will be stronger, others weaker. Probably
                                        stronger in your case because Worcestershire sauce is based in
                                        particularly pungent aromatics such as tamarind, anchovies and
                                        vinegar, which are not usually deadened in the way that herbs are,
                                        although some of them will mellow out a bit. As I'd mentioned in a
                                        prior post, I do most of my seasoning in the slowcooker with
                                        aromatics rather than herbs and spices for that just that reason -
                                        that they do come through after long slow cooking. Red pepper flakes
                                        are a good example of something in between that works the same way -
                                        they're sold with the spices but they really work as an aromatic. As
                                        do a number of other seeds in the slowcooker. I use fennel seed while
                                        actually cooking to give things an Italian bite, then just add the
                                        usual oregano, basil, etc at the very end or sprinkle fresh herbs on
                                        top when serving.
                                        Kim

                                        At 08:25 AM 12/4/2006, Kay Seiler wrote:
                                        >I've also learned - the hard way - that while herbs and spices decrease in
                                        >flavor in a CP, some flavorings get stronger. I made a beef stew in the
                                        >pressure cooker that included 3 T of worcestershire sauce, and the stew was
                                        >delicious. In fact, friends practically beg for it. When I used the same
                                        >recipe in the slow cooker, it tasted as though I'd dumped an entire bottle
                                        >of worcestershire sauce into it. It was almost inedible.
                                        >
                                        >Kay
                                        >

                                        >God is good!
                                        >

                                        > >From: siharmon@...
                                        > >To: slowcooker@yahoogroups.com
                                        > >Subject: Re: [slowcooker] Beef Stew
                                        > >Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 22:19:28 EST
                                        > >

                                        > >In a message dated 12/3/2006 8:53:57 P.M. Central Standard Time,
                                        > >kmalo17@... writes:
                                        > >
                                        > >But basically in the slowcooker, since that deadens the
                                        > >taste of herbs, I rely more on aromatics and flavors in the food
                                        > >itself, like using garlic or tomatoes in a lot of my sauces or
                                        > >gravies.
                                        > >

                                        > >You know, I would appreciate a basic list of things like this that you have
                                        > >learned. I tend to just toss stuff in the pot, and for once, I have not
                                        > >been
                                        > >very scientific about it, meaning I haven't kept any records ;-)
                                        > >
                                        > >Maybe a section on the archives with tips like this would be a good
                                        > >baseline
                                        > >of information for all of us, especially the newbies.
                                        > >
                                        > >Scott

                                        > >To view our recipe of the month contest winners, go to
                                        > >http://malincholia.com/slowcookerwinners.htm
                                        > >To contact the list owner, send a message to
                                        > >slowcooker-owner@yahoogroups.com
                                        > >=====
                                        > >Copyright, 2006, Maria Rost Rublee.
                                        > >=====
                                        > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                        >To view our recipe of the month contest winners, go to
                                        >http://malincholia.com/slowcookerwinners.htm
                                        >=====
                                        >Copyright, 2006, Maria Rost Rublee.
                                        >=====
                                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      • Auntie J
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Dec 4, 2006
                                          Beef stew is one of our "comfort" foods, so I tend to prepare it the same
                                          way time after time. I use a can of condensed tomato soup and a can of
                                          condensed fat-free cream of mushroom soup to form the "gravy" And
                                          occasionally, I'll splash some red wine (usually merlot) into the
                                          slowcooker.

                                          For color, I add canned or frozen corn and frozen peas to the stew about 30
                                          minutes before serving. That's about as "festive" as it gets. :)

                                        • triketreker@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Dec 4, 2006
                                            I actually plan to do the root veggie stew next time. This time I had some
                                            beef I need to use quickly, so I just did the basic stew. I think I will do
                                            some biscuit on top, like I do with chicken.

                                            Thanks for the input!!

                                            Sherri

                                          • mdws13
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Dec 19, 2006
                                              I'm new to this group so my suggestion may have already been made...
                                              But I just made a nice beef stew by adding a can of diced tomatoes
                                              with green chili/mexican seasoning (I believe I used DelMonte brand)
                                              as well as about 1/2 cup (eyeballed it) of tomato sauce.
                                              I sauted/browned the beef in a pan with smidge of olive oil, all
                                              purpose seasoning and a spinkle of oregano then put it in the crock
                                              with the can of diced toms and tom sauce. My son likes things w/o
                                              onions and peppers (which I use liberally if just for me.) I also
                                              added the potatos about 1/2 hr before the stew was finished so they
                                              didn't get too mushy. My son really liked the extra zip the mexican
                                              flavored diced toms added. (we won't tell him I think they have bits
                                              of onion and peppers in the juice too)

                                              --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, triketreker@... wrote:

                                              > Does anyone have an idea they use to make beef stew a bit more,
                                              um, festive.
                                              > It seems stew, is stew, is stew. I am in a rut!! I could really
                                              use some
                                              > new ideas!!
                                              >
                                              > Thanks,
                                              > Sherri
                                              > in COLD Indianapolis

                                            • ckayp77
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jan 17, 2007
                                                * Exported from MasterCook *

                                                Beef Stew

                                                Recipe By :
                                                Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
                                                Categories :

                                                INGREDIENTS:

                                                10 small new potatoes, halved, unpeeled
                                                12 small whole white onions, peeled, fresh or frozen, thawed
                                                30 baby carrots, 8 ounces
                                                1 red or green bell pepper, seeded, cut into 1-inch pieces
                                                1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
                                                2 cups beef broth
                                                1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
                                                1/4 teaspoon paprika
                                                1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped, or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
                                                flakes
                                                1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
                                                1/2 teaspoon salt
                                                1/8 teaspoon pepper
                                                3 tablespoons cornstarch
                                                3 tablespoons cold water
                                                PREPARATION:

                                                Place potatoes, onions, and baby carrots in slow cooker. Add bell
                                                pepper and beef. In small bowl, combine broth, oregano, paprika,
                                                parsley, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Pour over meat and
                                                vegetables. Cover and cook on LOW 9 to 10 hrs. Turn pot on HIGH. In
                                                small bowl, dissolve cornstarch in water; stir into cooked stew
                                                mixture. Cover and cook on HIGH 15 to 20 mins. or until thickened,
                                                stirring occasionally.
                                                from the files of ckpenner77@...
                                              • Caren Cooper
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jan 17, 2007
                                                  I made beef stew on Saturday because we were iced in down here in
                                                  Dallas/Fort Worth area. I substituted sweet potatoes for regular ones and
                                                  it was soooo yummy.

                                                  Blessings,

                                                  Caren

                                                  _____

[...]

                                                  from the files of ckpenner77@hotmail. <mailto:ckpenner77%40hotmail.com> com

                                                • Tamyra

[...]

                                                    from the files of ckpenner77@hotmail. com
                                                  • Dorie
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , May 8, 2008
                                                      Beef Stew
                                                      2 pounds beef chuck or stew meat cut up in 1 " cubes
                                                      1/4 cup flour
                                                      1-1/2 tsp salt
                                                      1/2 tsp pepper
                                                      1-1/2 cups beef broth
                                                      1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
                                                      1 clove garlic
                                                      1 bay leaf
                                                      1 tsp paprika
                                                      4 carrots, sliced
                                                      3 potatoes, diced
                                                      2 onions chopped
                                                      1 stalk celery sliced
                                                      2 tsps Kitchen Bouquet (opt)

                                                      Place meat in crockpot. Mix flour salt and pepper and pour over meat. Stir to coat meat with flour. Add remaining ingredients and stir to mix well. Cover and cook on Low 10-12 hrs. high 4-6 hours. Stir before serving.

                                                      Dorie
                                                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Momsmenuplan/

                                                    • carolsrecipes77