Mystery of the Grey Baked Potatoes

  • Maria Rost Rublee
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2001
      Hi, everyone, I had asked for people to fill out a survey on baked potato
      crockpot cooking a while ago. I apologize for the delay in getting a
      summary back to everyone!

      Basically, the problem was that some people seemed to get grey and/or
      black potatoes when they cooked them in crockpot, even though they were
      following the same directions as everyone else. I thought if we tried to
      account for all the different variables that might affect how the potatoes
      cooked, we could come up with an answer.

      Unfortunately, there didn't seem to be any pattern. People who cooked the
      baked potatoes that turned out grey did the same things and used the same
      type of potatoes as those whose potatoes turned out great. I think the
      best explanation is listed below in the message from Deirdre. Perhaps
      someone who has gotten grey/black potatoes in the past can try the cream
      of tartar solution and let us know how it turns out!

      Maria