44464Re: [slowcooker] REQ: TNT Chili

  • Alejandro
    Feb 7, 2014
      TNT Basic Chili

      This is how I always make it - super fast, easy, and for us delicious.  After the initial browning you can finish it on the stove in the same pot or in the Crockpot if you have the time.  (I always just do it on the stove, as it is very fast and easy.)  BTW:  Add a few cups of cooked macaroni to this and you have chili mac.

      INGREDIENTS
      1-2 tablespoons olive oil
      1-2 pounds lean ground beef
      1-2 large onions, large dice
      2-3 carrots, either grated, diced small, or thinly sliced
      2-3 cloves garlic, minced
      1-2 cans whole tomatoes, with their juice
      1 pound fresh tomatoes, unpeeled, coarsely chopped
      chili powder to taste (a little or a lot, to your taste)*
      1-2 cans chili beans
      1-2 tablespoons ketchup
      1-2 shakes Tabasco sauce (optional)
      salt and pepper to taste, if necessary

      * If you can get it in your area, use an envelope or two of Williams Original Chili Seasoning (or their Hot version, which isn't all that hot) - this brand makes the best chili ever and tastes far better than standard chili powder!  Comes in silver envelopes.  I have always bought it at Wal-Mart.  They also sell it online.

      INSTRUCTIONS
      1.  Brown ground beef in large pot on stove with chopped onions and carrots and the minced garlic.  Then drain and discard the fat.
      2.  Add remaining ingredients.  Bring to boil.  Simmer 20 minutes.
      3.  Adjust seasonings, simmer another 10 minutes, and serve.

      NOTE:  You can also add any of the following optional ingredients to enhance flavor, if desired:
      * beef base or bouillon cubes or powder (e.g., Better than Bouillon is awesome - but use less salt if you use this)
      * extra dried oregano leaves
      * garlic powder
      * onion powder
      * a can of V-8 vegetable juice is great if you like your chili less thick
      * a can of tomato juice if you like your chili less thick
      * a teaspoon or 2 of Worcestershire sauce
      * 1-3 teaspoons of dark brown sugar is great to wake up the flavor

      On Thursday, February 6, 2014 7:42 PM, Lance M <monarch@...> wrote:

      I'm looking for a TNT basic beef & tomato chili.
      Regular chili, not white chili or vegetable chili. You know, stuff to go
      over fritos for frito pie.
      I used to have one, and it was from this list, but it's gotten lost
      somewhere in some move or other.
      So what's your favorite hearty chili?