      From: Barbara <barbrus@...>
      To: slowcooker@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, December 22, 2013 1:56 AM
      Subject: [slowcooker] Re: cooking grains in slowcooker

      You're most welcome Christopher .... Like Malcolm I also add fruits both dried and fresh .... apples chopped in fairly large pieces so they don't breakdown during the cooking, dried apricots, dried cranberries, mangos, raisins etc ..... Just about anything you choose. I also add fresh fruit after my oatmeal is cooked and I'm about to eat it ... ie fresh or frozen blueberries, strawberries, raspberries etc .... Just what ever appeals to you.

      As far as buying a slow cooker is concerned .... Are you near a Walmart? I bought a small one just for cooking cereals ...... I think its a Proctor Silex .... holds 4 cups of liquid plus 1 cup of Steel Cut Oats and two apples chopped, a dash of salt, a tsp of Cinnamon and a tsp of Vanilla .... Seems to me it was between the 15$ - 20$ price ..... Only has High and Low setting ..... I always cook my oats overnight on LOW .... from 1 or 2 am to about 9 am ..... So it's about 8 hours cooking time. You don't have to worry about getting a slow cooker that turns itself off when you cook on Low for a large number of hours. I do have several other slow cookers which are programable and I use those for meat or meal combinations when timed cooking is important.

      Barb

      Sent from my iPad

      =====================================

      > Posted by: "runner_dude" christopher_cms@...
      > Date: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:12 pm ((PST))
      >
      > thanks barb
      >
      > so i take it none of the slow cookers or
      > crockpots have a feature where they shut off automatically
      > once all the liquid has been absorbed ??
      >
      > i don't currently own one but was thinking
      > of buying one if i can use it to cook whole grains,
      > which i eat every day
      >
      > thanks

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic