44406Re: [slowcooker] How does it freeze?

  • WAC
    Oct 24, 2013
      Since I'd never done it in the crockpot, I didn't know the timing so I went looking for a similar crockpot version.  This one comes from A Year of Slow Cooking blog.  As long as you don't change the amount of potatoes, eggs, and milk by too much, you can vary the recipe any way you wish.  I mix everything except the milk and eggs together and then pour the milk/egg mixture over it.  Sometimes I'll reserve the cheese and sprinkle it over the top.

      Crockpot Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole

      30 oz. package plain frozen hashbrowns
      4 cooked sausage link (or ham, etc), chopped
      1/2 onion, diced
      1 green bell pepper, diced
      1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
      12 eggs
      1 cup skim milk
      1 tsp. salt
      1 tsp. black pepper

      I used a 6-qt Smart-Pot for this recipe.

      Spray the inside of your crockpot with cooking spray.    Dump in the whole package of hash browns.    Spread them out with your fingers and break up any clumps.

      Mix the eggs with everything else and pour over the hash browns.

      Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours.  This id done when the eggs are fully cooked and the edges start to brown a little.  If you want the cheese to brown and get a little crispy on the side, cook it a little longer.

      From: Sally Morgan <silversallystudio@...>

      Never tried breakfast in crockpot
      Is it posted
      Got retreat gals coming worth trying

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Oct 21, 2013, at 8:16 AM, WAC <misty1451tory@...> wrote:

      I've never made the crockpot version, but I make all sorts of hashbrown casseroles in the oven and they freeze beautifully.  I've usually got several versions in the freezer because it's a favorite meal for us.  It looks like it's the same thing, just made in a crockpot.  I'd say try it and see if you like it.

      From: Lance M <monarch@...>

      Everyone knows the 'standard' crockpot breakfast casserole, right?
      hashbrowns, sausage, eggs, cheese, onion, maybe peppers.

      But how does it freeze? I'd like to eat on it more than the few days
      it'll last in the fridge. I often have to throw some of it out (unless I
      have really big servings.)
      Has anyone tried to?

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic