40821Re: [slowcooker] Re: Good meatball recipes?

  • Auntie J
    Feb 9, 2010
      Oops, that "sent" before I finished typing it all in. Sheesh! Trying
      again.

      Thanks, Mary! I went through my files and turned up the recipe I
      mentioned earlier. It's from a *1971* Betty Crocker recipe card, so you
      might want to fiddle with the ingredients to make the meatballs more
      healthful. It wasn't written for a slowcooker, per se, although today I
      would definitely assemble the recipe as written and transfer to a slowcooker
      to keep warm. It's pretty close to the second one you posted. See what
      you think:

      Waikiki Meatballs

      1 1/2 pounds ground beef
      2/3 cup cracker crumbs
      1/3 cup minced onion
      1 egg
      1 1/2 teaspoons salt
      1/4 teaspoon dried ground ginger
      1/4 cup milk
      1 Tablespoon shortening (I would use olive oil)
      2 Tablespoons cornstarch
      1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
      1 can (13.5 ounces) pineapple tidbits, drained, reserve syrup
      1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
      1 Tablespoon soy sauce
      1/3 cup chopped green pepper

      Mix meat, crumbs, onoin, egg, salt, ginger and milk. Shape mixture by
      rounded tablespoonfuls into balls. Melt shortening in large skillet; brown
      and cook meatballs. Remove meatballs; keep warm. Pour fat from skillet.

      Mix cornstarch and brown sugar. Stir in reserved pineapple syrup, vinegar
      and soy suace until smooth. Pour into skillet; cook over medium heat,
      stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1
      minute. Add meatballs, pineapple tidbits and green pepper; heat
      through. 6 servings.