40802Re: [slowcooker] Re: Good meatball recipes?

  • Auntie J
    Feb 5, 2010
      I used to make a "sweet and sour" meatball recipe that my family (when I
      lived with my parents) enjoyed. It was from a Betty Crocker recipe
      collection and used pineapple and green peppers, as I recall. Haven't made
      them in a long while (a couple of decades at least) and the recipe is
      missing, so I'll have to hunt for it.

      In the meantime, I found this one in my files. Haven't tried it yet but it
      does seem like one we'd enjoy and I have all the ingredients on hand.
      Hmmm. If you don't want to use or can't find Splenda, you could substitute
      granulated sugar (adjust the calories according). I'd cut back the
      quantity but that's just my opinion. You could also swap out the ground
      turkey for another ground meat such as ground pork (or meat substitute),
      again adjusting the nutritional information.

      I think I've talked myself into making this recipe soon. :-D

      *Turkey** Meatballs*

      1 pound ground turkey

      2-3 medium carrots, peeled and finely grated (about 2/3 cup)

      1 large omega-3 egg

      1/2 cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats

      1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

      2 tablespoons ground flaxseed

      1 tablespoons garlic powder

      1/2 teaspoon salt

      1/8 teaspoon pepper

      1 bag fresh cranberries

      1 cup Splenda

      1 cup orange juice

      1 (12-ounce) bottle chili sauce

      Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a large baking sheet with non-stick
      cooking spray and set aside.

      Combine the turkey, carrots, egg, oats, Parmesan cheese, flaxseed, garlic
      powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix until ingredients are just
      combined. Shape the meat mixture into 24 1-1/2-inch balls. Place them on the
      baking sheet and cook until lightly browned, 10 minutes.

      Combine cranberries, Splenda and orange juice in a large saucepan. Cook over
      medium heat, whisking occasionally, until the cranberry mixture is reduced
      by half, then add chili sauce. When the meatballs come out of the oven, add
      them to the sauce, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, about 20 minutes.
      Place in slow cooker to keep warm.

      Tip: To spice it up even more, add a teaspoon of cumin and 1/4 teaspoon of
      cayenne to the sauce while it is cooking. Yield: 24 meatballs

      Approximate values per 2 meatballs: 135 calories, 5 grams fat (1.5 grams
      saturated), 9 grams carbohydrates, 1 gram dietary fiber and 200 milligrams
      sodium.

      Source: Healthy Kitchen/University of Tennessee Medical Center