Barberton, Summit County, Ohio

  • rubyslippers
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2002
      I am researching various Slovenian families with ties to Barberton and I suspect also to Cuyahoga.

      One branch starts with a TANCEK born ???1830??? married woman ZNIDARSIC. Their daughter, Mary Tancek born 1850's? probably around Iska Loka married a John Regina. The children of Regina came to Summit County, Ohio. Their names were Helen, Agnes, Frances and Louisa. They had a brother Joze/Joseph born 1878 whose sons were guards to King Peter. He came to the US and later his sisters came, he returned. Helen remembered being told her lineage and family appared in a church book and was tied to royalty...the Queen? or so we are told.

      John REGINA was probably from Iska Loka I am told and the TANCEK family from prob Gornji Ig near Ljubljana. The Regina children were born in Iska Loka.

      Helen married Joseph JANKOVIC born 6/24/1889 in Jugoslavia, son of John Jankovic and Anne or Anne Mary. Joseph arrived in 1906...perhaps from Brumdorf. His 2 siblings were John born 1885/88 who married Agnes and Mary...who I believe may have married John CIMPERMAN.

      The Jankovic / Jancovic name became YANKOVICH.

      Joseph YANKOVICH, Jr, son of Joseph and Helen Regina was involved in a Slovenian / Heritage club I am told. Unfortunately Uncle Joe is no longer able to communicate the family history. Joseph married his 3rd cousin, a ZNIDARSIC.

      Mary Louise YANKOVICH married Donald Yurick, son of Jack JURICK but the name was originally JURJEVIC or JURJECIC or some variation. He was from "SLAVONIA, AUSTRIA" according to his army records but there is so much conflict I'm not sure what he was at this point. The census has him listed as "Slovak" and on various docs he lists birth as Austria, Hungary and Germany!

      Love to hear from anyone having information
      Sharon