MurskaSobota>BethlehemPA>Skraban,S

  • geniemarie.geo
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 2, 2001
      My family came from Austria/Hungary, Slovenia and
      Wales. Most settled in the area of Bethlehem, Easton,
      Bangor PA and surrounding towns in Northampton CO. Some
      were farmers, shoemakers, miners, steel and factory
      workers. Also been told there were relatives living in
      Carbon CO, Palmerton
      (Slovenia)>NorthamptonCO, Bethlehem PA USA<br>KOVACS, Joseph 1886-1965
      Austria/HUN>NorthamptonCO, Bethlehem PA USA <br><br>KOVACH, KOVACS: James
      born Veszprem Megye area in HUN, a farmer. Believe his
      wife�s maiden name was NEMETH. There were at least two
      children: Joseph 1886-1965 and Mary. Mary married and
      stayed in Hungary�Joseph came to the USA early 1900�s�He
      later switch surname spelling from Kovach to Kovacs.
      Sobota, YUG (Slovenia) Her mother�s maiden name was
      SIFTAR, father was Joseph SKRABAN <br><br>Theresa�s birth
      certificate listed her parents as farmers. The certificate
      shows the address as Strukovci st.21. It also shows:
      �Krajevni ured Bodonci.� If the translation from her birth
      certificate is correct, her godparents were Stefan GYERJEK
      and Lajos SINIC. I have no info on them but their
      names. <br><br>Children of Joseph and Theresa
      Kovacs:<br>1. Joseph, Jr: 1909-1942 spouse Reiter<br>2.
      Katherine: 1912-1978 spouse Konya<br>3. Frank: 1915-1965
      spouse Grabar<br>4. James: 1916-1937<br>5. Alex:
      1919-1969 spouse Scheirer<br>6. Stephen: 1922-1979 spouse
      Schwartz<br>7. Mary: 1924-1937<br>8. John: 1926-1992 spouse
      Romig<br>9. Charles: 1928-1999 spouse Schrantz<br>10. William
      Carbon CO, Palmerton area. According to his
      birth<br>certificate, the eldest son was born in Carbon CO. I have no
      paperwork but believe he was also baptized in
      Palmerton.<br><br>If anyone has any additions or corrections, please
      contact me privately. Thank you<br> <br>Take
      care<br>Genie
      Williams, Eustis
    • recruitingpost
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 17, 2001
        I am researching Nicolas "Nick" Spillar, b. 1874,
        Slovenia or Hungary, and his wife Luisa "Louise" Lovrin,
        b. 1877 Slovenia. Louise died of TB soon after the
        birth of her 8th child, Charles.<br><br>Nick came to US
        in 1880 at age 6. They married and lived their lives
        in So. Chicago, sometimes in Whiting, Indiana (which
        is contiguous to So. Chicago). He was a laborer in
        the Iron Mills.<br><br>Their children (spelled their
        surname various ways, Spillar, Spiller, Speller):<br>1.
        Helen b. 1896 IL<br>2. Joseph Nicolas, b. 16 Feb 1898,
        d. 27 Nov. 1977, Chicago.<br>3. Marian, b. 1901
        IL<br>4. Annie, b. 1902-3 IL<br>5. John b. 8 Feb 1904, d.
        Apr 1985 in Springfield, IL.<br>6. Rosie, b. 1906 IL
        (may have married a Busich)<br>7. Julia, b. 1 Sep
        1908, in Whiting, Lake Co., IN, d. Oct 1973 Cook Co.,
        IL. (She married Jozo AKA Joe AKA "Adam" Busich of
        Croatia.)<br>8. Charles, b. 24 Jan 1913, d. 15 Sep 1989, So.
        Chicago, IL.
      • rkuthan
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 28, 2001
          I'm looking for any information (mainly genealogical)about lastname KUTHAN.If you know something, please, let me know. Thank you. <br>mail:rkuthan@...
        • kocanija
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 29, 2001
            I just received this past weekend the slovenian
            online newsletter..andy one interested in getting
            very interesting of the cleveland slovenian community