recipe

  • spludunker
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 11, 2001
      Hi this may be a silly thing but I have to ask.
      My grandma use to make the best pot of chicken and
      rice in the world. I don't know if it is a recipe her
      mother gave her or if it just something she came up
      with. Is there a special Slovenian recipe for chicken
      and rice? Also does anyone make potica? do you use
      honey in it??? Thanks for letting me post these silly
      little questions.....
    • geniemarie.geo
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 2, 2001
        My family came from Austria/Hungary, Slovenia and
        Wales. Most settled in the area of Bethlehem, Easton,
        Bangor PA and surrounding towns in Northampton CO. Some
        were farmers, shoemakers, miners, steel and factory
        workers. Also been told there were relatives living in
        Carbon CO, Palmerton
        (Slovenia)>NorthamptonCO, Bethlehem PA USA<br>KOVACS, Joseph 1886-1965
        Austria/HUN>NorthamptonCO, Bethlehem PA USA <br><br>KOVACH, KOVACS: James
        born Veszprem Megye area in HUN, a farmer. Believe his
        wife�s maiden name was NEMETH. There were at least two
        children: Joseph 1886-1965 and Mary. Mary married and
        stayed in Hungary�Joseph came to the USA early 1900�s�He
        later switch surname spelling from Kovach to Kovacs.
        Sobota, YUG (Slovenia) Her mother�s maiden name was
        SIFTAR, father was Joseph SKRABAN <br><br>Theresa�s birth
        certificate listed her parents as farmers. The certificate
        shows the address as Strukovci st.21. It also shows:
        �Krajevni ured Bodonci.� If the translation from her birth
        certificate is correct, her godparents were Stefan GYERJEK
        and Lajos SINIC. I have no info on them but their
        names. <br><br>Children of Joseph and Theresa
        Kovacs:<br>1. Joseph, Jr: 1909-1942 spouse Reiter<br>2.
        Katherine: 1912-1978 spouse Konya<br>3. Frank: 1915-1965
        spouse Grabar<br>4. James: 1916-1937<br>5. Alex:
        1919-1969 spouse Scheirer<br>6. Stephen: 1922-1979 spouse
        Schwartz<br>7. Mary: 1924-1937<br>8. John: 1926-1992 spouse
        Romig<br>9. Charles: 1928-1999 spouse Schrantz<br>10. William
        Carbon CO, Palmerton area. According to his
        birth<br>certificate, the eldest son was born in Carbon CO. I have no
        paperwork but believe he was also baptized in
        Palmerton.<br><br>If anyone has any additions or corrections, please
        contact me privately. Thank you<br> <br>Take
        care<br>Genie
        Williams, Eustis
      • recruitingpost
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 17, 2001
          I am researching Nicolas "Nick" Spillar, b. 1874,
          Slovenia or Hungary, and his wife Luisa "Louise" Lovrin,
          b. 1877 Slovenia. Louise died of TB soon after the
          birth of her 8th child, Charles.<br><br>Nick came to US
          in 1880 at age 6. They married and lived their lives
          in So. Chicago, sometimes in Whiting, Indiana (which
          is contiguous to So. Chicago). He was a laborer in
          the Iron Mills.<br><br>Their children (spelled their
          surname various ways, Spillar, Spiller, Speller):<br>1.
          Helen b. 1896 IL<br>2. Joseph Nicolas, b. 16 Feb 1898,
          d. 27 Nov. 1977, Chicago.<br>3. Marian, b. 1901
          IL<br>4. Annie, b. 1902-3 IL<br>5. John b. 8 Feb 1904, d.
          Apr 1985 in Springfield, IL.<br>6. Rosie, b. 1906 IL
          (may have married a Busich)<br>7. Julia, b. 1 Sep
          1908, in Whiting, Lake Co., IN, d. Oct 1973 Cook Co.,
          IL. (She married Jozo AKA Joe AKA "Adam" Busich of
          Croatia.)<br>8. Charles, b. 24 Jan 1913, d. 15 Sep 1989, So.
          Chicago, IL.
        • rkuthan
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 28, 2001
            I'm looking for any information (mainly genealogical)about lastname KUTHAN.If you know something, please, let me know. Thank you. <br>mail:rkuthan@...
          • kocanija
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 29, 2001
              I just received this past weekend the slovenian
              online newsletter..andy one interested in getting
              very interesting of the cleveland slovenian community