SCX handling

  • kiwifallas
    Message 1 of 2 , May 17 1:50 PM
      Hi there

      I am new to the group and really enjoy my new hobby, I live in
      Auckland NZ and have a group of friends that setup some great
      circuits using SCX track. We rotate around each venue and mainly
      contest each other with timed events run with one car on the track
      at a time. After borrowing a new SCX Skoda to be able to run in
      there FWD magnet races, I have purchased a beautiful new SCX Seat
      Cardona Movie Star 1/32, I have run in the motor and trued the tyres
      and without the magnet installed it is very easy to control the slow
      tail sliding action.

      However with the Magnet installed at various heights the car's
      handling has become very hard to control. Grip has become extreme
      and cornering speeds have tripled. However when the limit is reached
      there is no warning before the rear end spins around 90 degrees
      pulling the slot out. All this happens in a snap with no sliding
      before the big loose. I can get reasonably close to the limit by
      listening to the tyres, but would prefer some tail action as a good
      indicator and also some realism.

      I am racing my car for the first time tonight, and would love some
      advice.

      thanks
      Jason
    • RussGB@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 18 12:53 PM
        Its pure physics, or applied mathematics (we covered this in App Math at school). Sliding v Toppling....

        If you have very grippy tires and/or bags of downforce
        the car is likely to be able to corner much quicker but will be unlikely to slide. At the limit it will just fall over. Add to this the special nature of magnets acting as "weight with no mass". This means that as the magnet, provider of most of the downforce on heavy magnettted cars, moves away from the rails, the downforce drops on the inverse square...i.e. doubling the distance quarters the downforce. Its a bit like suddenly losing a wing in F1!

        You could try adding some weight and moving the magnet forward, but fi your buds are racing with extreme magnet, you will likely lose.

        try to persuade them to limit magnets, or even lose the magnets altogether and use weight instead. You'll get plenty of rally style slides then!

        russ
        www.HSARC.net