Morro Strand SB and Whale Rock Reservoir

  • TEdell@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2008
      The continuing high tide series has created tidal ponds along Morro Strand
      State Beach. I could not find anything unusual in the ponds at the campground
      or near San Jacinto, but these conditions are an improvement over the dry
      creek mouths this summer as these tidal ponds have attracted rarities in the
      past. A male and three female/juvenile Great-tailed Grackles molting in new
      tails flew south past the campground, probably on their way to the Cloisters
      Pond. Both adult and juvenile Western Sandpipers were present.

      The sub-adult BALD EAGLE continues at Whale Rock Reservoir. It was perched
      in a tree at the very top of the hill northwest of the Cottontail Creek arm
      of the reservoir. An adult COMMON MOORHEN in the shallows of the Old Creek
      arm is a new arrival. A male and female WOOD DUCK were also in the Old Creek
      arm and two eclipse Gadwall were with the eclipse Mallards in the Cottontail
      Creek arm.

      Tom Edell
      Cayucos, CA

      Read reviews on AOL Autos.