Least Bittern

  • tedell@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005
      Bert Warren called me this afternoon to report that he saw a LEAST BITTERN
      on the Cloisters Pond in Morro Bay. The bird was seen around 4 PM today, July
      2.

      Please update the list if you see this bird.

      Tom Edell
      Cayucos, CA
      _tedell@..._ (mailto:tedell@...)

    • slobird@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 8, 2005
        This morning between 9-10 AM I had the HY (hatching year) Least Bittern at
        Lake Morro Bay (aka Cloisters Pond). The light crown, minimal green on the back
        and the buffy tips on the back feathers make this a bird of the year.

        It was located feeding in the open just off of the viewing platform on the
        south end. Approach the platform slowly and look for the bird feeding in the
        open.I have asked Mike S. to post a photo of the bird. Stay tuned...

        Also had about 20 Tri-colored Blackbirds foraging in the area.

        Greg Smith
        W. San Luis Obispo

      • Karen
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 11, 2005
          Now, this is my kind of birding. I drove to the Cloisters pond, parked my car, walked to the observation deck, and found the Least Bittern hunting fish in the shallow water not 6 feet from the deck. Even 3 kids riding scooters on the deck didn't scare the bird. When mom, grandma, and the 3 kids leaned over the deck railing, the bittern flew off. I found it in the reeds about 30 feet away, still hunting and catching fish.

          I think high noon is the magic time for the bird. I arrived at about 12:10 PM.

          Also, for the last 2 days (7-10 & 11) I have seen a small "feeding frenzy" just off Moonstone Beach Dr in Cambria. Feeders included a few Brown Pelicans, Heermann's Gulls, Western Gulls, Brandt's and Double-crested Cormorants, 3 otters, and 1 seal sp. It seems a bit early for schools of bait fish to be in Cambria.

          Karen Clarke
          seachest@...

        • Alan Schmierer
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 22, 2005
            One juv Least Bittern was near the Cloisters Pond south viewing platform between ~11:00 and 1:00 PM today. It did NOT have any sign of an injured leg. It was pretty much in view for that whole time period, but very often hard to see. LOTS of kids and loud adults made it stay in the thicker vegetation for long periods of time. I got some pretty good photos of the bird.

            My appologies to the three ladies who were there with me for part of that time. Through the viewfinder the bird looked to me to be a pale adult female, and that is what I told them that it was. It was obvious when I got home and looked at the photos that I had been wrong. (If they will contact me I will email a photo to them!!)

            ALAN SCHMIERER, MORRO BAY

          • TEdell@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 29, 2009
              I received word this evening that an injured adult LEAST BITTERN was picked
              up near Hwy 1 and Yerba Buena Street in Morro Bay. This species bred
              nearby at the Cloisters Pond in 2005. That's the only place in the vicinity
              of Hwy 1 and Yerba Buena that I can imagine this bird had been before being
              hit and wonder if this species is breeding there again.

              Tom Edell
              Cayucos, CA
              **************It's raining cats and dogs -- Come to PawNation, a place
              where pets rule! (http://www.pawnation.com/?ncid=emlcntnew00000008)