morro creek

  • mctharms@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 11 8:48 PM
      At Morro Creek late this afternoon, while I looked upstream there was an
      adult Green Heron flying further upstream. Because of the season, it makes
      me wonder. There was a Short-billed Dowitcher closer to the ocean, but
      still at the eastern end of the remaining creek mouth lagoon. While looking
      for Kaaren's Franklin's Gull there yesterday I saw an immature Bonaparte's
      Gull that was still there today and Kaaren says has been there a while. A
      mallard hen and ducklings has been there several days, but I could not find
      them today (though just as I arrived, a horse and rider walked up the creek
      a ways). A male and female Northern Shoveler are still there. Photos of
      the gull, dowitcher, and mallards are on my flickr page:
      _http://www.flickr.com/photos/marlinharms/_ (http://www.flickr.com/photos/marlinharms/)

      Near Whale Rock Reservoir along Cottontail Cr. Rd., I saw or heard some of
      the expected breeding birds early this morning. On Old Creek Rd., about a
      mile from Cayucos I saw a male Great-tailed Grackle--not sure if this is a
      breeding location. Along those two roads I saw three male Blue Grosbeaks.

      Marlin Harms
      Morro Bay, CA