Carrizo Plain

  • Thomas Slater
    Message 1 of 33 , Apr 29, 2012
      4-28  Started at Atascadero Lake (oak titmouse, coots, mallards, song sparrow, spotted towhee, great tailed grackles, but no herons and then moved out Hwy. 58 (plethora of yellow billed magpies and cliff swallows under bridge in Santa Margarita) and went out to Carrizo Plain.
      Many meadowlarks and horned larks. Saw 3 red tail hawks (very few raptors) and a barn owl, my first, bewicks wren and wilson's warbler outside the info station in Carrizo.

      slideshow here...

       http://slatervision.com/www.slatervision.com/Carrizo%20Plain%20April%202012/

      Tom Slater- Nipomo

      Tom Slater
      Slater Photography
      (805)-441-6945
      slatervision.com

    • steve schubert
      Message 33 of 33 , Mar 26
        Hello all,
        On Saturday, March 25th I led a van field trip for a Cuesta College Community Programs class. Several first of spring WESTERN KINGBIRDS were sighted along fence lines driving along Hwy. 58 and Soda Lake Rd. in California Valley, and around the Goodwin Education Center. Raptors, besides a few RED-TAILED HAWKS, were very scarce throughout the day. We observed one GOLDEN EAGLE and one NORTHERN HARRIER. A flock of over 50 AMERICAN AVOCETS were flying over and standing in the waters at Soda Lake. A single KILLDEER was along a water-filled channel near Seven Mile Rd.,

        Along the trace of the San Andreas fault at Wallace Creek among saltbush scrub habitat were singing WESTERN MEADOWLARK, LARK SPARROW, and a single SAGE SPARROW. HORNED LARKS were common along the unpaved roadsides, ie., Elkhorn Rd.

        Photos of the wildflower displays and panoramic views are posted at: https://www.flickr.com/gp/s_schub/nZ5L1w

        Steve Schubert
        Los Osos