Re: [sliderule] Re: Sliderules in Songs?

  • Dave Hartsel
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 7, 2000
      Steven,

      Here are two that Gene Shoemaker used at Caltech in the mid forties. These
      are both listed on pages 22 & 23 in David Levy's biography "Shoemaker by
      Levy, The Man Who Made an Impact"

      e to the x the x the x
      e to the x the x the x
      e to the x the x the x
      e to the x dx [delta x]
      Sliiii . . . de rule! Tech tech tech tech tech tech tech!!!

      Cotan, tangent, cosine, sine
      3.14159!
      Sliiii . . . de rule! Tech tech tech tech tech tech tech!!!

      Enjoy!

      Dave

      > I couldn't think of any other songs with "slide rule" in them.
      > However, there are several variations of a "math cheer" (or "nerd
      > cheer" or "geek cheer") that I remember from the '60s that obviously
      > mention slide rules. The first version I heard was for the University
      > of California system:
      >
      > e to the x, dy, dx!
      > e to the x, dx!
      > Secant, cosine, tangent, sine
      > Three point one four one five nine!
      > Square root, cube root, QED
      > Slip-stick, slide rule, 'ray U.C.!
      >
      > There's an MIT variant (the first two lines are the same):
      >
      > Tangent, secant, cosine, sine
      > Three point one four one five nine
      > Chi, psi, radical phi
      > Square 'em, cube 'em, MIT
      >
      > And an RPI version: (the same as the U.C. version except for the last
      > two lines)
      >
      > Square root, cube root, log of pi
      > Dis-integrate them, RPI!
      >
      > I'm sure among this group that there are many other versions.
      >
      > Steven Horii

      David Hartsel, WIL Research Laboratories, Inc.
      Richland Astronomical Society, Warren Rupp Observatory
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 8, 2000
          No one from Virginia Tech?
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 8, 2000
            Rice had a fight song that mentioned slide rules as well.
          • gerwkr@uswest.net
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 8, 2000
              Hey Dave: Really got a big laugh out of the cheers. Thanks for the
              contribution. Regards, Bill Robinson

              Dave Hartsel wrote:

              > Steven,
              >
              > Here are two that Gene Shoemaker used at Caltech in the mid forties. These
              > are both listed on pages 22 & 23 in David Levy's biography "Shoemaker by
              > Levy, The Man Who Made an Impact"
              >
              > e to the x the x the x
              > e to the x the x the x
              > e to the x the x the x
              > e to the x dx [delta x]
              > Sliiii . . . de rule! Tech tech tech tech tech tech tech!!!
              >
              > Cotan, tangent, cosine, sine
              > 3.14159!
              > Sliiii . . . de rule! Tech tech tech tech tech tech tech!!!
              >
              > Enjoy!
              >
              > Dave
              >

              > > I couldn't think of any other songs with "slide rule" in them.
              > > However, there are several variations of a "math cheer" (or "nerd
              > > cheer" or "geek cheer") that I remember from the '60s that obviously
              > > mention slide rules. The first version I heard was for the University
              > > of California system:
              > >
              > > e to the x, dy, dx!
              > > e to the x, dx!
              > > Secant, cosine, tangent, sine
              > > Three point one four one five nine!
              > > Square root, cube root, QED
              > > Slip-stick, slide rule, 'ray U.C.!
              > >
              > > There's an MIT variant (the first two lines are the same):
              > >
              > > Tangent, secant, cosine, sine
              > > Three point one four one five nine
              > > Chi, psi, radical phi
              > > Square 'em, cube 'em, MIT
              > >
              > > And an RPI version: (the same as the U.C. version except for the last
              > > two lines)
              > >
              > > Square root, cube root, log of pi
              > > Dis-integrate them, RPI!
              > >
              > > I'm sure among this group that there are many other versions.
              > >
              > > Steven Horii
              > >

              > David Hartsel, WIL Research Laboratories, Inc.
              > Richland Astronomical Society, Warren Rupp Observatory

            • wayne
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 11, 2000
                Hi Mark,

                Sam Cook died of a massive drug overdose which he may have miscalculated
                on his slide rule!

                Regards, Wayne

                Mark Adam Baum wrote:

                > Michael Wei sed:
                > | I recently heard a Sam Cooke song. I believe the title is "What
                > | a wonderful world". In this song he sings "Don't know much about
                > | history", "Don't know what a sliderule is for". Sadly, this song
                > | could apply to many people today.
                >
                > The singer is certainly no 'A'-student, baby. :-)
                >
                > | Could this be the only song with "sliderule" in the lyrics?
                > | At least the only popular "Oldies", like many of us.
                >
                > Well, LyricFind.com turned up only three entries, which are
                > actually the same song performed by different artists (Sam Cooke,
                > Herman's Hermits and Art Garfunkel). I suppose there may be
                > others, though I suspect it is unlikely. Unless "Wonderful
                > World" has been re-sampled into some recent hip-hop rap track.
                >
                > The full lyrics (from LyricsWorld):
                >
                > Wonderful World
                > Written By: Sam Cooke, Herb Alpert and Lou Adler
                >
                > Don't know much about history.
                > Don't know much biology.
                > Don't know much about a science book.
                > Don't know much about the French I took.
                > But I do know that I love you,
                > And I know that if you love me, too,
                > What a wonderful world this would be.
                >
                > Don't know much about geography.
                > Don't know much trigonometry.
                > Don't know much about algebra.
                > Don't know what A slide rule is for.
                > But I know that one and one is two,
                > And if this one could be with you,
                > What a wonderful world this would be.
                >
                > I don't claim to be an 'A' student,
                > But I'm tryin' to be.
                > For maybe by being an 'A'-student, baby,
                > I can win your love for me.
                >
                > Don't know much about history.
                > Don't know much biology.
                > Don't know much about a science book.
                > Don't know much about the french I took.
                > But I do know that I love you,
                > And I know that if you love me, too,
                > What a wonderful world this would be.
                >
                > History...
                > Biology...
                > Science book...
                > French I took...
                > But I do know that I love you,
                > And I know that if you love me, too,
                > What a wonderful world this would be.

              • Wei, Michael
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 12, 2000
                  Do I have Sam Cooke mistaken for another singer? I thought he died in a
                  hotel room from lead poisoning. The story I heard it was something about
                  another man's wife.