Re: [sliderule] Re: Sliderules in Songs?

  • John Kay
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 7, 2000
      All,
      ...And the Purdue version:
      e to the x dx dx!
      e to the y dy!
      secant cosine tangent sine,
      three point one four one fine nine!
      square root, cube root, BTU,
      slip stick, slide rule, hail Purdue!

      Cheers,
      John kay

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: <horii@...>
      To: <sliderule@egroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2000 12:16 PM
      Subject: [sliderule] Re: Sliderules in Songs?

> [...]
      > also
      > > going along with my eyes. But then at 5AM not much is working.
      > >
      > > Mark Adam Baum wrote:
      > >
      > > > Michael Wei sed:
      > about
      > song
      > > >
      > > > The singer is certainly no 'A'-student, baby. :-)

      > > > Well, LyricFind.com turned up only three entries, which are
      > > > actually the same song performed by different artists (Sam Cooke,
      > > > Herman's Hermits and Art Garfunkel). I suppose there may be
      > > > others, though I suspect it is unlikely. Unless "Wonderful
      > > > World" has been re-sampled into some recent hip-hop rap track.
      > > >
      > > > The full lyrics (from LyricsWorld):
      > > >
      > > > Wonderful World
      > > > Written By: Sam Cooke, Herb Alpert and Lou Adler
      > > >
      > > > Don't know much about history.
      > > > Don't know much biology.
      > > > Don't know much about a science book.
      > > > Don't know much about the French I took.
      > > > But I do know that I love you,
      > > > And I know that if you love me, too,
      > > > What a wonderful world this would be.
      > > >
      > > > Don't know much about geography.
      > > > Don't know much trigonometry.
      > > > Don't know much about algebra.
      > > > Don't know what A slide rule is for.
      > > > But I know that one and one is two,
      > > > And if this one could be with you,
      > > > What a wonderful world this would be.
      > > >
      > > > I don't claim to be an 'A' student,
      > > > But I'm tryin' to be.
      > > > For maybe by being an 'A'-student, baby,
      > > > I can win your love for me.
      > > >
      > > > Don't know much about history.
      > > > Don't know much biology.
      > > > Don't know much about a science book.
      > > > Don't know much about the french I took.
      > > > But I do know that I love you,
      > > > And I know that if you love me, too,
      > > > What a wonderful world this would be.
      > > >
      > > > History...
      > > > Biology...
      > > > Science book...
      > > > French I took...
      > > > But I do know that I love you,
      > > > And I know that if you love me, too,
      > > > What a wonderful world this would be.
      > > >
      > I couldn't think of any other songs with "slide rule" in them.
      > However, there are several variations of a "math cheer" (or "nerd
      > cheer" or "geek cheer") that I remember from the '60s that obviously
      > mention slide rules. The first version I heard was for the University
      > of California system:
      >
      > e to the x, dy, dx!
      > e to the x, dx!
      > Secant, cosine, tangent, sine
      > Three point one four one five nine!
      > Square root, cube root, QED
      > Slip-stick, slide rule, 'ray U.C.!
      >
      > There's an MIT variant (the first two lines are the same):
      >
      > Tangent, secant, cosine, sine
      > Three point one four one five nine
      > Chi, psi, radical phi
      > Square 'em, cube 'em, MIT
      >
      > And an RPI version: (the same as the U.C. version except for the last
      > two lines)
      >
      > Square root, cube root, log of pi
      > Dis-integrate them, RPI!
      >
      > I'm sure among this group that there are many other versions.

    • Dave Hartsel
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 7, 2000
        Steven,

        Here are two that Gene Shoemaker used at Caltech in the mid forties. These
        are both listed on pages 22 & 23 in David Levy's biography "Shoemaker by
        Levy, The Man Who Made an Impact"

        e to the x the x the x
        e to the x the x the x
        e to the x the x the x
        e to the x dx [delta x]
        Sliiii . . . de rule! Tech tech tech tech tech tech tech!!!

        Cotan, tangent, cosine, sine
        3.14159!
        Sliiii . . . de rule! Tech tech tech tech tech tech tech!!!

        Enjoy!

        Dave

        > I couldn't think of any other songs with "slide rule" in them.
        > However, there are several variations of a "math cheer" (or "nerd
        > cheer" or "geek cheer") that I remember from the '60s that obviously
        > mention slide rules. The first version I heard was for the University
        > of California system:
        >
        > e to the x, dy, dx!
        > e to the x, dx!
        > Secant, cosine, tangent, sine
        > Three point one four one five nine!
        > Square root, cube root, QED
        > Slip-stick, slide rule, 'ray U.C.!
        >
        > There's an MIT variant (the first two lines are the same):
        >
        > Tangent, secant, cosine, sine
        > Three point one four one five nine
        > Chi, psi, radical phi
        > Square 'em, cube 'em, MIT
        >
        > And an RPI version: (the same as the U.C. version except for the last
        > two lines)
        >
        > Square root, cube root, log of pi
        > Dis-integrate them, RPI!
        >
        > I'm sure among this group that there are many other versions.
        >
        > Steven Horii

        David Hartsel, WIL Research Laboratories, Inc.
        Richland Astronomical Society, Warren Rupp Observatory
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 8, 2000
            No one from Virginia Tech?
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 8, 2000
              Rice had a fight song that mentioned slide rules as well.
            • gerwkr@uswest.net
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 8, 2000
                Hey Dave: Really got a big laugh out of the cheers. Thanks for the
                contribution. Regards, Bill Robinson

                Dave Hartsel wrote:

                > Steven,
                >
                > Here are two that Gene Shoemaker used at Caltech in the mid forties. These
                > are both listed on pages 22 & 23 in David Levy's biography "Shoemaker by
                > Levy, The Man Who Made an Impact"
                >
                > e to the x the x the x
                > e to the x the x the x
                > e to the x the x the x
                > e to the x dx [delta x]
                > Sliiii . . . de rule! Tech tech tech tech tech tech tech!!!
                >
                > Cotan, tangent, cosine, sine
                > 3.14159!
                > Sliiii . . . de rule! Tech tech tech tech tech tech tech!!!
                >
                > Enjoy!
                >
                > Dave
                >

                > > I couldn't think of any other songs with "slide rule" in them.
                > > However, there are several variations of a "math cheer" (or "nerd
                > > cheer" or "geek cheer") that I remember from the '60s that obviously
                > > mention slide rules. The first version I heard was for the University
                > > of California system:
                > >
                > > e to the x, dy, dx!
                > > e to the x, dx!
                > > Secant, cosine, tangent, sine
                > > Three point one four one five nine!
                > > Square root, cube root, QED
                > > Slip-stick, slide rule, 'ray U.C.!
                > >
                > > There's an MIT variant (the first two lines are the same):
                > >
                > > Tangent, secant, cosine, sine
                > > Three point one four one five nine
                > > Chi, psi, radical phi
                > > Square 'em, cube 'em, MIT
                > >
                > > And an RPI version: (the same as the U.C. version except for the last
                > > two lines)
                > >
                > > Square root, cube root, log of pi
                > > Dis-integrate them, RPI!
                > >
                > > I'm sure among this group that there are many other versions.
                > >
                > > Steven Horii
                > >

                > David Hartsel, WIL Research Laboratories, Inc.
                > Richland Astronomical Society, Warren Rupp Observatory

              • wayne
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 11, 2000
                  Hi Mark,

                  Sam Cook died of a massive drug overdose which he may have miscalculated
                  on his slide rule!

                  Regards, Wayne

                  Mark Adam Baum wrote:

                  > Michael Wei sed:
                  > | I recently heard a Sam Cooke song. I believe the title is "What
                  > | a wonderful world". In this song he sings "Don't know much about
                  > | history", "Don't know what a sliderule is for". Sadly, this song
                  > | could apply to many people today.
                  >
                  > The singer is certainly no 'A'-student, baby. :-)
                  >
                  > | Could this be the only song with "sliderule" in the lyrics?
                  > | At least the only popular "Oldies", like many of us.
                  >
                  > Well, LyricFind.com turned up only three entries, which are
                  > actually the same song performed by different artists (Sam Cooke,
                  > Herman's Hermits and Art Garfunkel). I suppose there may be
                  > others, though I suspect it is unlikely. Unless "Wonderful
                  > World" has been re-sampled into some recent hip-hop rap track.
                  >
                  > The full lyrics (from LyricsWorld):
                  >
                  > Wonderful World
                  > Written By: Sam Cooke, Herb Alpert and Lou Adler
                  >
                  > Don't know much about history.
                  > Don't know much biology.
                  > Don't know much about a science book.
                  > Don't know much about the French I took.
                  > But I do know that I love you,
                  > And I know that if you love me, too,
                  > What a wonderful world this would be.
                  >
                  > Don't know much about geography.
                  > Don't know much trigonometry.
                  > Don't know much about algebra.
                  > Don't know what A slide rule is for.
                  > But I know that one and one is two,
                  > And if this one could be with you,
                  > What a wonderful world this would be.
                  >
                  > I don't claim to be an 'A' student,
                  > But I'm tryin' to be.
                  > For maybe by being an 'A'-student, baby,
                  > I can win your love for me.
                  >
                  > Don't know much about history.
                  > Don't know much biology.
                  > Don't know much about a science book.
                  > Don't know much about the french I took.
                  > But I do know that I love you,
                  > And I know that if you love me, too,
                  > What a wonderful world this would be.
                  >
                  > History...
                  > Biology...
                  > Science book...
                  > French I took...
                  > But I do know that I love you,
                  > And I know that if you love me, too,
                  > What a wonderful world this would be.

                • Wei, Michael
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 12, 2000
                    Do I have Sam Cooke mistaken for another singer? I thought he died in a
                    hotel room from lead poisoning. The story I heard it was something about
                    another man's wife.