AW: SR Re: Berger slide rule / Durer slide rules

  • Peter Holland
    Message 1 of 123 , Jul 1, 2010
      Hello Phil,

      thank you for identifying this Durer 5876 as a Faber-Castell.

      Are there any more Durer or Berger slide rules made by Faber-Castell out
      there?

      Regards,

      Peter

      > -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

    • Peter Holland
      Message 123 of 123 , Nov 25, 2011
        Dear slide rule collectors,

        the fifth revised edition of my book on Faber and Faber-Castell slide
        rules is now available.

        All information about the book can be found here:
        http://www.peterholland.de/fc/
        The book is dual language (German and English) and comes with a hard
        cover and saddle stitch binding.

        Since the first edition the book has improved a lot. It incorporates
        many improvements and the number of pages is now 160 instead of 128 at
        the beginning.

        The book has also been expanded by new chapters.

        Since the third edition it includes these two new chapters.

        - "Summarised cross-reference of major types" compiles the most
        important and most successful types of slide rule made by A.W. Faber and
        A.W. Faber-Castell. All Darmstadt, Electro, Rietz and Merchant slide
        rules are listed. However, slide rules with an Addiator and slide rules
        with a span longer than the standard 25cm model are also mentioned.

        - "OEM Slide Rules for other manufacturers": A.W. Faber and A.W.
        Faber-Castell not only produced specially commissioned slide rules for
        commercial customers but they also produced Original Equipment
        Manufacturer (OEM) slide rules for other resellers to market under their
        own label.

        The fourth edition included for the first time the chapter "Production
        years of all standard models". It incorporates a timeline, where you can
        see at a glance when and for how long a specific model was in production.

        The production stops at Faber-Castell during and shortly after World War
        II are now also incorporated into the book.

        In the new fifth edition which is available now the chapters "Cases" and
        "Cursors" are completely rewritten and improved. E.g. pictures of all
        magnifying cursors ever made by Faber/Faber-Castell are included. Also
        some until now unknown models are added.

        The price of the book is still 15 Euro(ca. 20 USD) for international
        shipping by air mail (within Germany it is 13 Euro).

        http://www.peterholland.de/fc/

        Best regards,

        Peter