Net Search - Very small son of Google

  • Rod Lovett
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 19, 2007
      Hi All,

      For some time now I have not found Google to be doing quite what I
      want when I perform searches on slide rule related topics.

      1. I find returned multiple references to the same site annoying.

      2. I find I get a large number of hits on sites which have no
      connection with slide rules whatsoever, even when the "+" is used.

      3. Although the information returned by the search is highlighted in
      bold, on clicking the relevant link the displayed page does not have
      the search string highlighted so that on a large page sometimes it is
      quite difficult to find the relevant section.

      4. Often quite "good" hits are several pages deep and may never be
      found.

      5. I would be quite happy to have all the hits displayed on one page.
      (Google has a maximum of 100 per page so perhaps I'm nit-picking!).

      Having said that, the Google Search Engine is very sophisticated,
      getting better all the time, and usually does provide a large number
      of valid hits although often several pages down the line.

      In this one small area (slide rules) though, I think that I can give
      Google a run for its money. This may sound a tad ambitious
      considering that Google has over 13,000 employees, many of whom are
      fine programmers!

      I have created a system that deals only with slide rule sites. I run
      a web crawler (variously called bots,spiders, webots etc., etc) once
      a month which currently indexes over 40 slide rule web sites. (I
      have no idea how often Google runs its crawlers - probably
      continually but even then at any one time it indexes less than 20% of
      the net).

      My index can be searched in a similar fashion to that of my other
      software.

      A matching site is returned once only.

      Multiple references to your search string for all matching sites may
      be requested but the default is to return the first match on a site
      and then move on to further sites.

      All searched for strings are highlighted in red and on clicking the
      returned link to the site, the searched for strings are also
      highlighted in red on the returned page. (Optionally you may click
      the "direct link" to the authors page which then, like Google, will
      not have the searched for strings highlighted).

      The "Help File" gives details of the use of this software, together
      with a list of the sites currently indexed.
      This list will be increased as I become aware of more sites.

      It may be found at: http://sliderules.lovett.com and click
      on "Net Search".

      I find it useful. I hope you do.

      Regards,

      Rod
    • Richard F. Lyon
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 20, 2007
        >It may be found at: http://sliderules.lovett.com and click
        >on "Net Search".

        Rod, that's very cool. I tried it out with my name first, of course,
        and the first hit was useful, as it found Clark misspelling me.
        Perhaps I was looming too large in his picture to be taken as a
        singular:

        misspelled Curta, too:

        ...t on the book about the history of the Kurta Calculator.
        Dick Lyons showing what he has for sale. Bob de Cesaris talking about
        some of...

        http://www.mccoys-kecatalogs.com/Oughtred2007_spring/Oughtred2007_spring.htm

        Dick Lyon
      • Peter Holland
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
          Hello,

          there is an auction of a strange plastic slide rule at ebay. The plastic of stock and slide is brown and semi transparent.

          ebay # 180172340011

          Does anyone have an idea what it is made of?

          Regrads,

          Peter
        • John Mosand
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
            I don't think that white celluloid will turn quite like this :-) However,
            celluloid/nitrate plastics can be manufactured to almost any color, with or
            without translucency.

            I have seen plastics resembling this SR many times: combs, costume jewelry,
            rulers, pill boxes and what not. Some of those items are lying around
            here...

            John Mosand

            >I am wondering if it is celluloid with browning due to the nitrate
            > content and age. I am anxious to hear from others. I have a very early
            > French pocket rule, cursor missing or never existed, that appears to
            > be of celluloid or a material like it. It has a feel like ivory, and
            > is a tan / cream color.
            >
            > Gary Flom
            >
            > --- In sliderule@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Holland" <PHolland@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Hello,
            >>
            >> there is an auction of a strange plastic slide rule at ebay. The
            > plastic of stock and slide is brown and semi transparent.
            >>
            >> ebay # 180172340011
            >>
            >> Does anyone have an idea what it is made of?>>
            >> Regards,
            >>
            >> Peter
          • gsflom1
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
              I am wondering if it is celluloid with browning due to the nitrate
              content and age. I am anxious to hear from others. I have a very early
              French pocket rule, cursor missing or never existed, that appears to
              be of celluloid or a material like it. It has a feel like ivory, and
              is a tan / cream color.

              Gary Flom

              --- In sliderule@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Holland" <PHolland@...> wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > there is an auction of a strange plastic slide rule at ebay. The
              plastic of stock and slide is brown and semi transparent.

              > ebay # 180172340011
              >
              > Does anyone have an idea what it is made of?
              >

              > Regrads,
              >
              > Peter

            • jamulslipper
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
                Hi, Peter...

                That is very odd, indeed. The closest thing to it that I've ever seen
                is certain Simplon models. I have about six examples of these things,
                including an SR-3
                <http://www.sliderulemuseum.com/isrm/dilatush/?Home/SlideRules/Simplon/S\
                R3x1> and an SR-6
                <http://www.sliderulemuseum.com/isrm/dilatush/?Home/SlideRules/Simplon/S\
                R6x1> that are posted up on my site. The plastic material on them is a
                variable shade of orange and brown, but it is nearly opaque, at least in
                the rather thick slabs that form these slide rules. I've never
                discovered what that material is...

                Tom...

                --- In sliderule@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Holland" <PHolland@...> wrote:

                > Hello,
                >
                > there is an auction of a strange plastic slide rule at ebay. The
                plastic of stock and slide is brown and semi transparent.

                > ebay # 180172340011
                >
                > Does anyone have an idea what it is made of?
                >

                > Regrads,
                >
                > Peter

              • Ronald van Riet
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
                  Peter,

                  This is very strange indeed: it was manufactured as brown given that allthe
                  lettering is white. Moreover, the brown is very even, which you wouldn't
                  expect when it would have been a discoloration.

                  It doesn't look anythign like the discolorations on my early 20th century
                  Marc slide rules.

                  Also, the cursor is still extremely clear plastic, and the overall look is
                  relatively young (for slide rules that is ;-), even though the general
                  layout with the elongated openings in the rear of the body to set the
                  goniometric values is storngly reminiscent of late 19th century / early 20th
                  century slide rules.

                  Very unusual indeed....

                  Ronald

                • dodecatheon.meadia
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
                    To my inexperienced eye, this rule looks like it was made for student
                    instruction, probably using some bakelite-like resin that might have
                    been available in the 1930's - 40's.

                    I'm basing my random speculation on its similarity to other items of
                    that vintage that I remember from school.

                    Ted S.

                    --
                    dodecatheon at gmail dot com
                    Frango ut patefaciam -- I break so that I may reveal
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 4, 2007
                      Hi Peter,
                      I own a similar rule, see Herman' catalog, branded Addimult. Can't
                      say which type of plastic it's made of though.
                      Regards,
                      Pano.
                      wrote:

                      > Hello,
                      >
                      > there is an auction of a strange plastic slide rule at ebay. The
                      plastic of stock and slide is brown and semi transparent.

                      > ebay # 180172340011
                      >
                      > Does anyone have an idea what it is made of?
                      >

                      > Regrads,
                      >
                      > Peter

                    • Peter Holland
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 6, 2007
                        Hello Pano,

                        I had a look at Herman's Archive.

                        http://sliderules.lovett.com/herman/dealwithpictures.cgi?match=38971.jpg

                        Yes, it looks quite similar. And on the backside the word "Eternit" is written. Is there anyone outside who can explain to our American friends what Eternit is?

                        John Mosand, can you?

                        Regards,

                        Peter

                        "p_venet" <p.venet@...> schrieb:
                        > Hi Peter,
                        > I own a similar rule, see Herman' catalog, branded Addimult. Can't
                        > say which type of plastic it's made of though.
                        > Regards,
                        > Pano.
                        > --- In sliderule@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Holland" <PHolland@...>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hello,
                        > >
                        > > there is an auction of a strange plastic slide rule at ebay. The
                        > plastic of stock and slide is brown and semi transparent.
                        > >
                        > > ebay # 180172340011
                        > >
                        > > Does anyone have an idea what it is made of?
                        > >

                        > > Regrads,
                        > >
                        > > Peter
                        > >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Lennart Börjeson
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 6, 2007
                          Eternit is a brand name for panelling material, originally made of an asbestos
                          fibre and cement composite. Cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternit.

                          /Lennart

                          --
                          !++
                          ! Lennart Börjeson, Starrängsringen 2
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 6, 2007
                            Yes.
                            This one was a promotional SR for the material "Eternit", generically known
                            as 'asbestos cement'. Once very popular for wall cladding, roofing,
                            ceilings, pipes, ducts, etc. until the 1970s when it was banned in most
                            countries because of its high content of asbestos.

                            John Mosand

                            > Hello Pano,
                            >
                            > I had a look at Herman's Archive.
                            >
                            > http://sliderules.lovett.com/herman/dealwithpictures.cgi?match=38971.jpg
                            >
                            > Yes, it looks quite similar. And on the backside the word "Eternit" is
                            > written. Is there anyone outside who can explain to our American friends
                            > what Eternit is?
                            >
                            > John Mosand, can you?
                            >

                            > Regards,
                            >
                            > Peter
                            >

                            > "p_venet" <p.venet@...> schrieb:
                            >> Hi Peter,
                            >> I own a similar rule, see Herman' catalog, branded Addimult. Can't
                            >> say which type of plastic it's made of though.
                            >> Regards,
                            >> Pano.
                            >> --- In sliderule@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Holland" <PHolland@...>
                            >> wrote:
                            >> >
                            >> > Hello,
                            >> >
                            >> > there is an auction of a strange plastic slide rule at ebay. The
                            >> plastic of stock and slide is brown and semi transparent.
                            >> >
                            >> > ebay # 180172340011
                            >> >
                            >> > Does anyone have an idea what it is made of?
                            >> >

                            >> > Regrads,
                            >> >
                            >> > Peter
                          • klaus g. krämer
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 6, 2007
                              Hello folks,
                              yes I can explain what „Eternit“ is: It is a Berlin, Germany, based company
                              producing pipes, containers, and roofing materials originally made of
                              asbestos concrete. Meanwhile they have changed the ingredients as the use of
                              asbestos is no longer permitted.
                              Kind regards, Klaus

                              "p_venet" < p.venet@... <mailto:p.venet%40skynet.be> > schrieb:
                              > Hi Peter,
                              > I own a similar rule, see Herman' catalog, branded Addimult. Can't
                              > say which type of plastic it's made of though.
                              > Regards,
                              > Pano.
                              > --- In sliderule@yahoogroups.com <mailto:sliderule%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                              "Peter Holland" <PHolland@...>
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hello,
                              > >
                              > > there is an auction of a strange plastic slide rule at ebay. The
                              > plastic of stock and slide is brown and semi transparent.
                              > >
                              > > ebay # 180172340011
                              > >
                              > > Does anyone have an idea what it is made of?
                              > >

                              > > Regrads,
                              > >
                              > > Peter
                              > >

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • marion moon
                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 6, 2007
                                If you google eternit you will find some interesting commentary.

                                Marion

                                --- In sliderule@yahoogroups.com, klaus g. krämer
                                <klaus.kraemer.berlin@...> wrote:

                                > Hello folks,
                                > yes I can explain what „Eternit" is: It is a Berlin, Germany, based
                                company
                                > producing pipes, containers, and roofing materials originally made of
                                > asbestos concrete. Meanwhile they have changed the ingredients as
                                the use of
                                > asbestos is no longer permitted.
                                > Kind regards, Klaus

                                Auftrag
                                > von Peter Holland
                                > Gesendet: Dienstag, 6. November 2007 15:08
                                > An: sliderule@yahoogroups.com
                                > Betreff: Re: SR Re: unknown material of a slide rule at ebay
                                >
                                > Hello Pano,
                                >
                                > I had a look at Herman's Archive.
                                >
                                > http://sliderules.lovett.com/herman/dealwithpictures.cgi?match=38971.jpg

                                <http://sliderules.lovett.com/herman/dealwithpictures.cgi?match=38971.jpg>

                                > Yes, it looks quite similar. And on the backside the word "Eternit" is
                                > written. Is there anyone outside who can explain to our American friends
                                > what Eternit is?
                                >
                                > John Mosand, can you?
                                >
                                > Regards,
                                >
                                > Peter
                                >
                                > "p_venet" < p.venet@... <mailto:p.venet%40skynet.be> > schrieb:
                                > > Hi Peter,
                                > > I own a similar rule, see Herman' catalog, branded Addimult. Can't
                                > > say which type of plastic it's made of though.
                                > > Regards,
                                > > Pano.
                                > > --- In sliderule@yahoogroups.com
                                <mailto:sliderule%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                                > "Peter Holland" <PHolland@>
                                > > wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Hello,
                                > > >
                                > > > there is an auction of a strange plastic slide rule at ebay. The
                                > > plastic of stock and slide is brown and semi transparent.
                                > > >
                                > > > ebay # 180172340011
                                > > >
                                > > > Does anyone have an idea what it is made of?
                                > > >

                                > > > Regrads,
                                > > >
                                > > > Peter
                                > > >

                                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • p_venet
                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 6, 2007
                                  Hi Peter,

                                  John Mosand and others have already given some answers on your
                                  question about the Eternit marking. I would like to point out though
                                  that Eternit was founded near Brussels in Belgium around 1905 by some
                                  guy called Alphonse Emsens.

                                  Back to the slide rule: on my specimen the brand Addimult is only
                                  written on the leather case. Evidence that addimult made slide rules
                                  around the 1960's is given at following site:
                                  http://www.addiator.de/540-1-addimult.html . It's in German, but that
                                  shouldn't be a problem for you ;-)

                                  Best Regards,
                                  Pano

                                  wrote:

                                  > Hello Pano,
                                  >
                                  > I had a look at Herman's Archive.
                                  >
                                  > http://sliderules.lovett.com/herman/dealwithpictures.cgi?
                                  match=38971.jpg

                                  > Yes, it looks quite similar. And on the backside the word "Eternit"
                                  is written. Is there anyone outside who can explain to our American
                                  friends what Eternit is?

                                  > John Mosand, can you?
                                  >

                                  > Regards,
                                  >
                                  > Peter
                                  >

                                  > "p_venet" <p.venet@...> schrieb:
                                  > > Hi Peter,
                                  > > I own a similar rule, see Herman' catalog, branded Addimult.
                                  Can't
                                  > > say which type of plastic it's made of though.
                                  > > Regards,
                                  > > Pano.
                                  > > --- In sliderule@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Holland" <PHolland@>
                                  > > wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Hello,
                                  > > >
                                  > > > there is an auction of a strange plastic slide rule at ebay.
                                  The
                                  > > plastic of stock and slide is brown and semi transparent.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > ebay # 180172340011
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Does anyone have an idea what it is made of?
                                  > > >

                                  > > > Regrads,
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Peter
                                  > > >

                                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • WB

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Nov 7, 2007
                                      Hello all,

                                      and in the last row of the last chart of the url Pano mentions we find a dating for this slide rule: "60er", the 1960s.
                                      And the text says that Addimult imported them from Japan.

                                      The winner of the auction comes from the US and maybe is a member of this group. If so, please let us know more about this rare slide rule.

                                      Regards,

                                      Peter

                                      P.S. Pano, thanks for writing the Pocketbook of the Gauge Marks

                                    • Ronald van Riet
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Nov 7, 2007
                                        Interesting: I have a Dennert & Pape DR4 flight computer of April 1945 which
                                        also has a dark brown color,although it is matte and not glossy like the one
                                        shown here.

                                        I had been told that the production of the DRs moved from Hamburg to Austria
                                        late in the war, and that the Austrians used a different process to make
                                        their plastic, hence dark brown instead of semi-translucent white. This must
                                        have been really late, since a DR4 of January 1945 that I know of is white.

                                        Revitalizing the pointer to an Aristo heritage....

                                        Ronald

                                      • pahrain
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Nov 8, 2007
                                          Hi Peter,

                                          I'm the winner of the recent eBay auction of this slide rule.
                                          Unfortunately, I've never seen any like it before so I don't have any
                                          more information on this slide rule to share with the group.

                                          I'd have to agree that it appears to be the same as Pano's Addimult
                                          pictured in Herman's Archive and I'll compare the two closely when I
                                          receive it.

                                          Mike Hollis