[sliderule] Re: Describing Slide Rule Scales

  • David Hartsel
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 24, 1998
      Hi,

      About 15" from my left hand is my trusty 30 year old Dietzgen B-1725 which is
      in use almost every day. I have several calculators sitting around here but I
      find that the rule is very often much quicker.

      Dave Hartsel

      "Thomas A. Frank" wrote:

      > Hello All;
      >
      > I'll add my personal opinion on this, for what it's worth...
      >
      > On straight slide rules, I simply list from top to bottom, front then back.
      > I define front as the side with the C/D scale.
      >
      > On circular rules, I do something a little different. I list front then
      > back, but I list the scales on the front such that they read in a way that
      > C comes before D...and I list the back outside to inside.
      >
      > What this ends up meaning is that the front of some circular rules gets
      > listed inside to outside. For example, the SIC No 120:
      >
      > front: 10/EI/CI/C/D/A/K (read from inside to outside)
      > rear: L/DI/D/T/S/T/S/T/TS (read from outside to inside)
      >
      > Which results in a pattern that is similar to a straight rule.
      >
      > I don't suppose it matters all that much, but I like to see D follow C, as
      > that is pretty much how you use the device.
      >
      > Tom Frank
      >
      > P.S. - I'll come out of the closet - in addition to my HP-48GX, I carry in
      > my briefcase, and actually use (once in a while), an SIC 120-D (circular,
      > about 4 3/8" dia). Does anyone else on the list actually carry a slide
      > rule and use it?
      >
      > Thomas A. Frank, KA2CDK
      > Rhode Island State Chapter Coordinator, National Motorists Association
      > The Organization Responsible For Repeal of the National Maximum Speed Limit
      > e-mail: ri@... NMA Web Page: <http://www.motorists.org>
      > telephone: 1-401-849-3974 (voice, answering machine, auto-fax)

      > eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/sliderule

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/sliderule
    • Bob Otnes
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 24, 1998
        At 06:50 PM 12/24/98 EST, you wrote:
        >I'm not sure if at this point in the Slide Rule collecting Hobby if logic
        >prevails. I'm also a coin collector, and I know that small differences in
        >quality can make a big difference in price. Two identical coins of different
        >grades can cost vastly different amounts. A 4096M and a 4096 are not the same
        >thing. If they made 10 times as many 4096 than 4096M it could cost 10 times
        >more. I do not have the figures for production for these rules. Eventually
        >there will be a codified standard of grading, and published production figure
        >to help evaluate price. Look, if a Pickett N3T costs $89 and a Pickett N3pT
        >costs $500, whose to say what an M is worth. I suppose the point of
        >collecting is to collect. I am sort of new to a hobby thats sort of new. I am
        >concentrating now on Mint in the box rules, since the amount of these will
        >always decrease and the highest quality examples will always increase in
        value
        >when others lose theirs. I guess its worth what the traffic will bear at any
        >time. It will fluctuate.
        >Joe

        Hello:

        Grading: some slide rule collectors use the system employed by the Breker
        Auctions in Germany. It consists of two numbers: for example 2/3. The
        first number is "optical" and the second one is "technical". A "1" is mint
        or near mint condition, and a "6" is junk. So, a 2/3 would be a rule or
        machine that looks good, little wear, etc., but may have some technical
        problems. While the idea of technical problems is most applicable to
        calculators, it has some use for slide rules. For example, the 3 for the
        slide rule could mean that the slide moves very roughly, that the slide is
        essentially frozen because of warping, that screws have been glued in, etc.
        If there is interest, I could give the full definitions for the different
        levels that the Germans use. The German auctions have been tabulated for
        calcuators by Maslowski, and his booklet is very useful for this purpse.
        There are two auctions per year, starting about 1988, so there is quite a
        bit of information on what has been sold, how much of there was on the
        market, the condition of it and prices paid.

        However, there are difficulties.

        One problem is that the grading does not have any indication of
        desirability. For example, anyone who would want a typical Pickett rated
        1/1 rather than an early 19th century engineering rule (say a W&S Jones)
        rated 4/3 would be crazy. I have seen a rule rated 4/2.5 that sold for
        $1800. I have paid good money for HALF of a Brannan's rule.

        It is unfortunate that the eBay results are useless for most items sold, as
        there is no one who is grading the items sold in a systematic way. Most of
        the sellers do not know what they have, and are often unable to accurately
        describe it (I give them the benefit of the doubt on this).

        Quantity made is a real problem. The Thacher cylinder rule and the Fuller
        spiral rule are both pretty well documented and they have almost become
        commodities. The German manufacturers such as Faber-Castell and Aristo
        have some records. The K&E records are gone. The Dietzgen Co. is not
        interested in letting anyone see whatever records they have. The Oughtred
        Society is working on the Pickett information, but that has been a long
        drawn-out process.

        Let me say something about K&E: I have most of the catalogs, or
        photocopies, and the rules in the catalogs have been tabulated by both
        Babcock and Feely (both lists could stand to be updated at this point).
        This does not account for the many "specials" not in the catalog, nor are
        there any good records of production. And the serial numbers on the K&E
        rules are not necessarily meaningful (other than a method of keeping parts
        together during the again process).

        Finally (I am sure you are saying "thank God") the scientific instrument
        market in general (and slide rules are part of that) is fracturing into two
        basic groups: 98% of it is made up of rules that are commonly available,
        and, if not reasonably priced, they at least are available for purchasing.
        The other 2% or so, the really good stuff (whatever that is), is increasing
        in value and price much more rapidly than the common items. I would guess
        that many of the rules made before 1915 will escalate sharply in the next
        few years.

        This sort of thing has already happened with the mechanical calulators. An
        arithmometer made around 1850 (with "some restoration") was recently
        auctioned for $250,000. I pay far more for calculators that I buy than I
        do for the slide rules. I would guess that calculator collecting has a ten
        to twenty year lead on slide rule collecting.

        Sorry for the rant, but I do not believe that it is possible to codify the
        price or value of slide rules. In an auction, it comes down to who is
        there that day, and how much they are willing to pay.

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/sliderule
      • Todd Tolhurst
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 24, 1998
          Thomas A. Frank writes:

          > P.S. - I'll come out of the closet - in addition to my HP-48GX, I carry in
          > my briefcase, and actually use (once in a while), an SIC 120-D (circular,
          > about 4 3/8" dia). Does anyone else on the list actually carry a slide
          > rule and use it?

          But of course. I carry both a Hemmi 149A and an SIC 300-B in addition
          to a PalmPilot running RPN.

          --
          Todd N. Tolhurst Love is not love Which alters when
          Periwinkle Communications it alteration finds, Or bends with

          eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/sliderule
        • Peter Reynolds
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 24, 1998
            Hello,
            I use one or other of my slide rules each day. Not to perform calculations,
            but as a ruler and straight edge. I find that a slide rule is much easier to
            pick up from a smooth surface than a ruler. Occasionally, I'll use a slide
            rule to remind myself of trig identities, or to multiply and divide. People
            younger than me (I'm 39) get a kick out of seeing a slide rule, and they're
            surprised to learn how adding lengths can result in multiplication.
            Regards,
            Peter Reynolds

            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 25, 1998
              "Thomas A. Frank" <tfrank9@...> wrote:

              >P.S. - I'll come out of the closet - in addition to my HP-48GX, I carry in
              >my briefcase, and actually use (once in a while), an SIC 120-D (circular,
              >about 4 3/8" dia). Does anyone else on the list actually carry a slide
              >rule and use it?

              I carry a little pocket COMPASS rule (bought at the Northeast Regional
              Oughtred Society meeting) everywhere I go.
              As for use?? Well, calculation of gas mileage when I fill up, the
              occasional splitting of a dinner bill in a group, are about the only things
              I use it for. Aside from the warm feeling it gives me, one day, I KNOW,
              someone is going to say "Hey Buddy, what's the sin of 28.5 degrees???" ;)
              Bob Tullman, Randolph, NJ
              bobtull@...
              http://www.planet.net/bobtull

              E-group home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/sliderule
            • FOO Cheow Ming
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 25, 1998
                To join Mr Tullman in his public confession, I carry a sixties-era (?)
                5-incher China-made Flying Fish 1205 (T K A [B L CI C] D S SRT //
                cm/inch scales and formulae on back)in my shirt pocket all the time for
                simple daily uses. I also carry - when the fancy strikes me, a larger
                ten-incher in my briefcase - to play around on that long bus/train trip
                to work & back everyday.

                Date: Fri, 25 Dec 1998 09:38:28 -0500
                To: sliderule@egroups.com
                From: Bob Tullman <bobtull@...>
                Subject: [sliderule] Carrying a slide rule

                "Thomas A. Frank" <tfrank9@...> wrote:

                >P.S. - I'll come out of the closet - in addition to my HP-48GX, I carry
                in
                >my briefcase, and actually use (once in a while), an SIC 120-D
                (circular,
                >about 4 3/8" dia). Does anyone else on the list actually carry a slide
                >rule and use it?

                I carry a little pocket COMPASS rule (bought at the Northeast Regional
                Oughtred Society meeting) everywhere I go.
                As for use?? Well, calculation of gas mileage when I fill up, the
                occasional splitting of a dinner bill in a group, are about the only
                things
                I use it for. Aside from the warm feeling it gives me, one day, I KNOW,
                someone is going to say "Hey Buddy, what's the sin of 28.5 degrees???"
                ;)
                Bob Tullman, Randolph, NJ
                bobtull@...
                http://www.planet.net/bobtull

                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 25, 1998
                  Old SRTP allows NOT reading what I didn't want to. Like linux java
                  email subscription, its success is its demise, to much volume
                  overfills my mailbox.

                  If this volume and lack of interesting content grows, I'll have to
                  jettison this email subscription. This shows why SRTP is uniquely valuable.

                  eyepi

                  scopo eyepi's rete pagina: table.jps.net/~einc/

                  eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/sliderule
                • Andrew Davie
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 25, 1998
                    OK, there have been a few comments about the noisy email originating from [sliderule].  That is, the lack of content and the excess chit-chat.  I'm going to say this once only, and from then on I will be preventing similar emails from reaching the list (ie: excersising my moderation capabilities), without explanation to the sender of such.

                    The ONLY way to prevent rubbish accumulating in your inbox is by not contributing rubbish yourself.   If you don't want to see uninteresting contributions, don't POST uninteresting contributions (such as saying "I don't want uninteresting email").  It really is a case of... the only way to win the game is not to play the game.  I made a request early on, that only postings with slide rule related content be made - the very people complaining about the lack of content are the contributors to the very same!

                    To all of you who think that the SRTP forum was better - I am no longer prepared or able to afford the cost of maintaining webspace and contributing time to managing that forum.  Nobody was prepared to contribute to the cost of maintaining it.  The mailing list is showing dramatically increased usage - one thing I personally like.  There have been some interesting contributions - such as the scale discussions, discussions on rarity and grading rules, and more.  The only uninteresting ones, to me, are the ones complaining about uninteresting email.

                    Many email packages (especially if you're using Windows) have mail filtering capabilities - for example, Outlook Express, Outlook, Inbox... You can quite easily set up these packages to automatically move incoming mail with [sliderule] in the header into a separate folder for later reading or easy deletion.  I simply can't accept the argument that there is a difference between the forum and email in that email forces you to read it, and the forum doesn't.  They both have the same "subject" - and you either click on the subject line to read it, or you don't read it - or even delete it.

                    The bottom line is that this forum offers an opporunity for quick and easy communication between collectors.  It provides a much simpler and more efficent system for me to manage - even to the extent that I already have a volunteer who is assisting in the moderation duties (thanks, Craig :).  It has shown an increase in traffic - a big plus, and it provides almost instant responses to your questions - in the order of hours, rather than days.  With search capabilities, and archiving... it wins hands-down over the old system which I had to manage manually.

                    I would invite you all to stay subscribed, but should you decide that you don't want to do that - I suggest that there is presently no other forum specifically for collectors of slide rules, and that SRTP forums will definitely become unavailable very soon - probably this week.  Please, no emails saying you agree with me, or disagree with me (unless you send them direct to me, which is OK).  Only emails with slide rule content will make it to the list - though you might be lucky and sneak a comment or two thru in one of those ;)

                    --         _              Andrew Davie
                        _  *  (_|   _         adavie@...
                       (/_    _  , | )        ICQ 3297382 (boofly)
                     ,     ,~' L_|\    _|
                    (   ,-'        \  (_|     http://www.comcen.com.au/~adavie  +
                       (            \   _      /slide  = Slide Rule Trading Post
                    \/  \    __    @/  (       /weird  = Weird Computing Machines
                      _  L,~'  "\__/  _        /slide/calculator/soviet.html =
                     (_|          v  (/_         Museum of Soviet Calculators
                          _|                   /javaslide/javaslide.html =
                         (_| *  \/\/             Interactive Java Slide Rule

                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 26, 1998
                      Old dot matrix printers are infinitely free, I know a fellow who'll
                      pay you to cart them away. There's all that fantastic graduation control
                      there, so replace the print head with a diamond scribe/solinoid
                      ensemble and go into slide rule production!

                      scopo eyepi's rete pagina: table.jps.net/~einc/

                      --END PGP PUBLIC CIPHER BLOCK --

                      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/sliderule
                    • John P. Porter
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 26, 1998
                        Dear Tom Frank,
                        I carry a slide rule and use it frequently. I am a physicist who works in
                        nondestructive testing and the slide rule is very useful for scaling
                        dimensions on an oscilloscope screen. John Porter

                        >I'll add my personal opinion on this, for what it's worth...
                        >
                        >On straight slide rules, I simply list from top to bottom, front then back.
                        >I define front as the side with the C/D scale.
                        >
                        >On circular rules, I do something a little different. I list front then
                        >back, but I list the scales on the front such that they read in a way that
                        >C comes before D...and I list the back outside to inside.
                        >
                        >What this ends up meaning is that the front of some circular rules gets
                        >listed inside to outside. For example, the SIC No 120:
                        >
                        >front: 10/EI/CI/C/D/A/K (read from inside to outside)
                        >rear: L/DI/D/T/S/T/S/T/TS (read from outside to inside)
                        >
                        >Which results in a pattern that is similar to a straight rule.
                        >
                        >I don't suppose it matters all that much, but I like to see D follow C, as
                        >that is pretty much how you use the device.
                        >
                        >Tom Frank
                        >
                        >P.S. - I'll come out of the closet - in addition to my HP-48GX, I carry in
                        >my briefcase, and actually use (once in a while), an SIC 120-D (circular,
                        >about 4 3/8" dia). Does anyone else on the list actually carry a slide
                        >rule and use it?
                        >
                        >Thomas A. Frank, KA2CDK
                        >Rhode Island State Chapter Coordinator, National Motorists Association
                        >The Organization Responsible For Repeal of the National Maximum Speed Limit
                        >e-mail: ri@... NMA Web Page: <http://www.motorists.org>
                        >telephone: 1-401-849-3974 (voice, answering machine, auto-fax)

                        >eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/sliderule

                        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/sliderule
                      • John Mosand
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 2, 1999
                          I also find my HP48 a little clumsy to carry at all times, although my old HP41 is stationed in the glove compartment. But my little Faber in its beautiful brown leather case has been a shirt pocket companion for about 45 years, (in the latter years along with a Mini-Maglite and a small Leatherman tool combo on a belt chain). Just about the only shortcoming with the Faber is that it doesn't handle imaginary and complex numbers like the HP.
                          John.
                          P.S. By the way, I have lost the User Manual for my HP41CX and find it difficult to obtain another one. Can anyone help me?

                          eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/sliderule
                        • SRLEPP@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 2, 1999
                            For HP accessories, try International calculator & Computer @800-535-5692,
                            407-898-0081 or Calculating Edge 1-800-535-9650, 800-677-7001

                            Good Luck!

                            Steve Lepp

                            eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/sliderule
                          • David and/or Laura Stein
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 2, 1999
                              While at the National Air and Space Museum in Washington DC
                              yesterday, I saw a very interesting display case in the main exhibit
                              hall which had the slide rules (both Nestlers) used by Werner von
                              Braun (father of the V-2 and later of the American space program)
                              and Sergei Korolev (father of the Soviet space program).

                              The display is on the web at:

                              http://www.nasm.edu/GALLERIES/GAL114/SpaceRace/sec300/sec
                              320.htm

                              Regards,

                              David Stein
                              stein4@...

                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 2, 1999
                                Hello:

                                John Mosand wrote:

                                >I also find my HP48 a little clumsy to carry at all times, although my old
                                HP41 is stationed in the glove compartment. But my little Faber in its
                                beautiful brown leather case has been a shirt pocket companion for about 45
                                years, (in the latter years along with a Mini-Maglite and a small
                                Leatherman tool combo on a belt chain). Just about the only shortcoming
                                with the Faber is that it doesn't handle imaginary and complex numbers like
                                the HP.

                                John:

                                Faber-Castell made strange slide rules that you might be interested in.
                                The models were short with log-log scales. They looked perfectly normal
                                from the front.

                                On the back, one model had a Troncet type adder by Addiator (F-C bought
                                them), and the later TR-1 and TR-4 had actual electronic calculators. I
                                have a working TR-1. It is a very basic scientific calculator. Alas, F-C,
                                like Dennert and Pape and K&E, was unable to complete with companies such
                                as TI.

                                The TR-1 came with a charger, but it works on 220. In a photography shop
                                in the Frankfort airport, I found a 120/220 V convertor for photographers
                                to use in the US with Germany equipment, so I can keep it working.

                                The Oughtred Society had its 1997 European meeting at the F-C castle in
                                Stein, Germany, the home of the Faber-Castell family. Graf (count)
                                Faber-Castell attended -- the company is still in business, making pencils,
                                etc. The have also gone into the high end of the market, making pens to
                                compete with Mont Blanc.

                                Bob

                                eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/sliderule
                              • Eric Christy
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 2, 1999
                                  Hi Bob,
                                  Nice to hear about your pocket Faber-Castelle.
                                  I would be interested in knowing if you'd like to sell it?
                                  Eric.

                                • herrmann@wcc.net
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 13, 1999
                                    After having read some of the postings over the past few weeks, I to came
                                    'out of the closet' and started carrying a slide rule in my pocket. I've
                                    had one in my briefcase for a long time, but just used it when no one was
                                    looking. I have discovered that most of the computations an engineer
                                    performs on a daily basis can be done faster on it than on a calculator,
                                    and that the number of digits one gets from a calculator lead to a false
                                    sense of precision, precision that many engineers find hard to let go of.
                                    My uncle once defined an engineer as someone who began with an assumption, then calculated an answer to 8 significant digits. The degree of truth in that statement is unsettling.
                                    I have a calculator in my briefcase, and a computer on my desk. I certainly
                                    wouldn't want to have to live without either of them- BUT I think we need to
                                    keep precision in it's proper perspective.

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Feb 14, 1999
                                      Hi hermann:
                                      Yes, for anything analog, the sliderule does the job VERY well!
                                      Electronics is my thing too, and I design and build all kinds of fun things.
                                      I can do the resonant frequency calculation FASTER on a sliderule than any engineer on
                                      a calculator!
                                      And, the precision is better than 99%...usually somewhere around 99.5-99.8%.
                                      This kind of accuracy is always better than the components used in the design and allows
                                      for very high degrees of precision with nothing more than the appropriate tuning circuits to
                                      tweek in any degree of precision.
                                      Because the sliderule give GREATER accuracy than the components used in a given design, the sliderule is quite powerful.
                                      I like calculators too, and they certainly have their place, but we should never have got
                                      rid of sliderules as a useful calculating device.
                                      I suspect engineers of all professions were enamored of the latest fad...calculators...and
                                      lost the enjoyment of the mutual interplay of man and machine...ie the necessity of knowing what you're doing when using the sliderule to find solutions.
                                      Eric.