$250 beat up Picket N4 slide rule

  • Simon Frasiar
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 31, 2006
      Now is this just bizarre, or am I missing some rare exotic version of the N4?
      ebay item 6248280200

    • Jerome Mc Kenna
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 1, 2006
        It is bizarre, I don't see anything unusual about that rule either.
        When I bought mine, I paid in the low $40's. It looks like auction
        fever.

        Jerry

        --- In sliderule@yahoogroups.com, Simon Frasiar <jydsktelefon@y...>
        wrote:

        > Now is this just bizarre, or am I missing some rare exotic version
        of the N4?
        > ebay item 6248280200

      • Duane Croft
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 1, 2006
          Hi Simon,

          I have no idea what is going on with this N4 and a couple recent
          previous auctions that went so high. Is it the same person buying them?
          I don't normally sell my slide rules (although I've given a few away),
          but I think I have a couple of old N4's that are not really in great
          condition which I might be willing to part with for this kind of money.
          I've never really made an effort to collect N4's. For my purposes at
          least, it's inferior to the N3, which is one of my favorite rules (but
          we've talked about favorite rules a bunch of times).

          Regards,
          Duane Croft

          Now is this just bizarre, or am I missing some rare exotic version of
          the N4?
          ebay item 6248280200

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • rob walton

            Now is this just bizarre, or am I missing some rare exotic version of
            the N4?
            ebay item 6248280200

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Slide rule Mathematics and computer science Computer science Mathematics teacher Science education Teaching mathematics

            ---------------------------------

          • rob walton
            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 1, 2006
              To all who look for the SR group for honest direction-

              Looks like those running this site are more interested in covering up than opening up to the truth. The Pickett N4 sale touched on in this forum has been edited by who, exactly. Are you redactor, sethb703, or lllcubed? If one looks at the feedback forums on the latest N4 that went for $266 (absurd) or #6248292715, or #6248057908 it would appear that these three are involved in some price fixing. Many of these people also bid and "Purchase" items of a certain vintagy electronics genre remeniscant of our Dear Walter2. Walter 2 has bid in at least one of these mentioned auctions for a grotesquely inflated price on a slide rule. Opps, Walter? lllcubed, redactor99 abd sethb703 cetainly have put themselves in a place where suspicion can easily be directed there way. Check it out yourself. And if this SR forum cannot "print" this email from me, then perhaps the whole SR forum needs to be disbanded as a bunch of crooks that they may well be. And if the moderators of this group
              are once again not going to air this message, at least have the balls to contact me separately to explain why you think you can get away with this sort of thing.
              Rob Walton-

              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 2, 2006
                I don't see any evidence of price fixing, just an example of
                irrational exuberance (or bidding frenzy). I have no idea who
                redactor99 is but I have recently sold a slide rule to Sethb703. I
                don't remember his full name because I am working away from home and I
                don't keep my sales records with me. In the auctions that have been
                mentioned I know many of the bidders. In the case of the over priced
                N-4, I have sold to two of the four bidders and I have had the
                pleasure of buying very decently priced merchandise from the seller.
                I cannot see any evidence that that particular seller is working with
                any of the bidders.

                In the case of the Dietzgen 1725, I don't see any problem at all. That
                is a very desirable rule and is very rare as a complete set in mint
                condition. The price, while high, isn't unusual.

                Jerry Mc Kenna
              • KrazyKyngeKorny
                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 2, 2006

                  > --- On Thu 02/02, rob walton < mgtc49racer@... > wrote:
                  >
                  >To all who look for the SR group for honest direction-
                  >
                  >Looks like those running this site are more interested in
                  >covering up than opening up to the truth.

                  Well, well. Rob didn't get the SR he wanted because someone out
                  bid him.

                  Rob, there is a simple solution. If you want an item, figure out
                  how much it is worth to you, max, and if it goes over that
                  amount, quit bidding.

                  The people who run this forum are, I assure you, not involved in
                  any cover-up of shoddy practices, so blow your smoke-rings some
                  other direction.

                  KrazyKyngeKorny

                  No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.
                • gkarusa
                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 2, 2006
                    I fail to see where there is evidence of price fixing here. As far
                    as the prices are concerned, a slide rule, as well as anything
                    auctioned, is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. The
                    Dietzgen 1725 was no real surprise as far as that goes. Jerry
                    Mc Kenna hit the nail on the head with his response. Price fixing
                    is a felony and would be pretty tricky to pull off. Extraordinary
                    claims require extraordinary proof, and I don't see that here. How
                    did Walter get dragged into this? He had no involvement in any of
                    the auctions listed. Perhaps checking the bidders list would help?
                    I know Walter personally and know the insinuations made are WAY out
                    of line.

                    Regards,
                    Miles Schumacher
                  • Jerome Mc Kenna
                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 2, 2006
                      Miles,

                      I couldn't agree more. I certaintly don't see any connection between
                      any of the transactions mentioned and Walter Shawlee. When I've dealt
                      with him, I've had nothing but good experiences. Let me share a
                      story. When I was packing up to move a few years ago, I emailed him
                      to ask where he got his boxes (they are great for sr storage and my
                      collection was being put in storage). He offered to sell a bunch to
                      me at not much of a profit (if any). If he is a schemer, I do need a
                      bit more proof.

                      Jerry

                      --- In sliderule@yahoogroups.com, "gkarusa" <babylon5@...> wrote:

                      > I fail to see where there is evidence of price fixing here. As far
                      > as the prices are concerned, a slide rule, as well as anything
                      > auctioned, is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. The
                      > Dietzgen 1725 was no real surprise as far as that goes. Jerry
                      > Mc Kenna hit the nail on the head with his response. Price fixing
                      > is a felony and would be pretty tricky to pull off. Extraordinary
                      > claims require extraordinary proof, and I don't see that here. How
                      > did Walter get dragged into this? He had no involvement in any of
                      > the auctions listed. Perhaps checking the bidders list would help?
                      > I know Walter personally and know the insinuations made are WAY out
                      > of line.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Miles Schumacher

                    • Bruce Arnold
                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 2, 2006
                        Goodness gracious, well you got your post printed, but I have to
                        heartily disagree. The fact that at times any of us may participate in a
                        bidding frenzy -- there have been times that I just had to have a
                        certain slide rule, even though this is far from my normal buying
                        procedure on eBay (bid low and hope for the best and wait for the next
                        chance if unlucky this time), but that doesn't make me a price fixer, it
                        makes me an idiot. An occasional idiot. I grant the same privilege to
                        all those I meet. So while I have only had so much interest in the
                        recent N4 discussion ("hmm, could be, big deal"), I wonder why this is
                        pushing your buttons so hard. I have never had anything but good
                        interaction with Walter, and am very grateful for the huge amount of
                        work he has done on behalf of all of us -- I cannot imagine the loss to
                        this hobby if his database did not exist, for instance -- and have never
                        seen any evidence that the SR list moderators are covering up anything.
                        I do know they delete posts that are uncivil, which is OK by me. I get
                        enough garbage without having to see it here. I mostly lurk but thought
                        I wanted to speak up on this.

                        Bruce Arnold
                        New Bern, NC

                      • Thayne Forbes
                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 2, 2006
                          I think Korny got it right here.

                          I seem to recall a mild uproar about 6 years ago when a new bidder
                          wandered into eBay and bid on a few dozen auctions and won them all,
                          mostly at inflated prices. As it turns out, it was a woman who had more
                          money than patience and just wanted one of everything RIGHT NOW!! As I
                          recall, she apologized to us all and rode off into the night.

                          Auctions don't always make sense. It's the joy of eBay.

                          (now I'm going back into lurking mode for another year or two.)

                          KrazyKyngeKorny wrote:

                          >>--- On Thu 02/02, rob walton < mgtc49racer@... > wrote:
                          >>
                          >>To all who look for the SR group for honest direction-
                          >>
                          >>Looks like those running this site are more interested in
                          >>covering up than opening up to the truth.
                          >>

                          >Well, well. Rob didn't get the SR he wanted because someone out
                          >bid him.
                          >
                          >Rob, there is a simple solution. If you want an item, figure out
                          >how much it is worth to you, max, and if it goes over that
                          >amount, quit bidding.
                          >
                          >..... so blow your smoke-rings some
                          >other direction.

                        • Duane Croft
                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 2, 2006
                            Rob,

                            Most of the people in the slide rule group know Walter and no one's
                            going to believe any accusations against him without any evidence.

                            There have been some really weird bidding on N4's lately. This sounds
                            more like an excited newbie or two rather than price fixing. The whole
                            idea of price fixing on eBay doesn't sound workable to me: you'd have
                            to falsely bid up several rules (with eBay taking their cut) and then
                            hope you'd find a sucker who would buy one at a high enough inflated
                            price so you'd make back your "costs". And since most people who buy
                            slide rules know what they're worth, I just don't think this will happen
                            - unless you get a newbie. And once you assume a newbie, Occam's razor
                            no longer requires price fixing!

                            Duane

                            To all who look for the SR group for honest direction-

                            <<snip>>
                          • rob walton
                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 2, 2006
                              All-
                              Walter was merely one of the bidders in one of the suspicious auctions. His bidding stopped when the bidding got ridiculous. It goes to show how the ebay policies of allowing multiple id's for the same person make it difficult to id identities being used to inflate values of certain types of items. The mentioned id's and auctions appear to be a small group of bidders/sellers who are buying and selling each others items for ridiculously high prices. They barely attempt to cover their tracks. On the other hand, an id like Walters' can serve to expose off kilter auctions when his high bid is exceeded by many times. For instance, if Walter's high bid for a particular SR was $50, and the bidding by two of these suspect goes to $280, chances are the other 2 bidders do not know anything about the slide rule Walter does not, and the bidding up to $280 is fraudulant in some way. redactor99 and lllcubed and baja_ron are good examples of bidders in this way. Check their feedbacks and
                              see how they bid on each others auctions, etc.
                              Rob-

                                Message 15 of 30 , Feb 2, 2006
                                  Good grief, take a chill pill. eBay is far weirder than the Bermuda Triangle
                                  could ever be - it's a combination of the Wild, Wild West and the scariest
                                  middle eastern bazaar you could ever find. Making judgements in general
                                  based on it is a pointless exercise, there is no logic to it.

                                  This http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8755359384 went for
                                  US $71.00

                                  This http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5858684226
                                  plus this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8756285279 went
                                  for $28.45 total even though it is almost the same thing.

                                  I've been buying since '99 and it's really a crap shoot. Your rant tells us
                                  more about you than about anything else.

                                  Regards,

                                  Neil Morrison

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Feb 2, 2006
                                    Mr Walton,

                                    I have followed this thread with mounting concern but now you have
                                    smeared the good name of a friend of mine I feel I must respond on
                                    his behalf. I don't know Redactor 99, SethB or 111cubed but I do
                                    know baja_ron and can vouch for his absolute integrity and honesty -
                                    as I think can several members of this group. He is as surprised and
                                    bemused as the rest of us about the silly prices being paid by these
                                    individuals (and others). When Redactor99 and SethB won some of his
                                    auctions at inflated prices he e-mailed them in an attempt to find
                                    out a little more about them. He e-mailed their responses to me and
                                    I quote Redactor99: "Are you slide rule guys bent on driving me into
                                    bankruptcy (grin)". Does this sound like a fraudster? I think not.
                                    What we are dealing with here are some individuals new to slide rule
                                    collecting who haven't done their homework regarding typical prices.
                                    Foolish but not illegal.

                                    If, despite the reaction you have engendered in this forum, you
                                    still believe there is some sort of fraudulent activity taking place
                                    on E-bay (and you have credible evidence to back it up) then the
                                    proper course of action is to raise the matter with E-bay directly.
                                    Attempting to blacken the good name of respected memnbers of the
                                    slide rule collecting community with nothing more than innuendo
                                    simply brings discredit upon your own head and is ultimately futile.

                                    Russell Weaver
                                    --- In sliderule@yahoogroups.com, rob walton <mgtc49racer@...> wrote:

                                    > All-
                                    > Walter was merely one of the bidders in one of the suspicious
                                    auctions. His bidding stopped when the bidding got ridiculous. It
                                    goes to show how the ebay policies of allowing multiple id's for the
                                    same person make it difficult to id identities being used to inflate
                                    values of certain types of items. The mentioned id's and auctions
                                    appear to be a small group of bidders/sellers who are buying and
                                    selling each others items for ridiculously high prices. They barely
                                    attempt to cover their tracks. On the other hand, an id like
                                    Walters' can serve to expose off kilter auctions when his high bid
                                    is exceeded by many times. For instance, if Walter's high bid for a
                                    particular SR was $50, and the bidding by two of these suspect goes
                                    to $280, chances are the other 2 bidders do not know anything about
                                    the slide rule Walter does not, and the bidding up to $280 is
                                    fraudulant in some way. redactor99 and lllcubed and baja_ron are
                                    good examples of bidders in this way. Check their feedbacks and
                                    > see how they bid on each others auctions, etc.
                                    > Rob-
                                  • rob walton

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Feb 2, 2006
                                        If anybody wants to buy some N4s for $250 each I will be glad to find
                                        some.

                                        What we are seeing today on eBay is mostly inexperienced new bidders.
                                        The only real problem of some one bidding too high on an auction is that
                                        they often have cold feet when it comes to paying for it. The seller is
                                        then stuck without any sale and must start over and has to pay a fee for
                                        the value of the sale. A real drag.

                                        There are real scams out there but I have not seen any evidence of any
                                        for several years. I did uncover one about 6 years ago. The seller was
                                        selling a pocket K&E slide rule. There were two low feedback bidders
                                        that kept kicking it up. I gave up at about $400 which is what it was
                                        worth. One of the low feedback bidders took it for $450. I thought it
                                        was over. About two days later the seller relisted the same item. You
                                        could tell it was the same from several unique flaws. I wrote the seller
                                        and accused him of operating a scam. Amazingly he answered me and said
                                        he was just trying to keep his price up. He screamed loudly when eBay
                                        threw him and all of his aliases off the system. He was back on about a
                                        month later under another ID.

                                        The other possible reason for high bids is a mistake I made last week. I
                                        accidentally bib $1787 instead of $17.87. Fortunately no one bid me
                                        above $6. I was just sweating that one of these novice bidders would
                                        take me up to $70-80 for an inexpensive manual. I dodged that bullet.
                                        But people do make mistakes bidding.

                                        I like eBay a lot and will continue to surf. The bargains are getting
                                        hard to find but they are there. Buyer beware is the word of the day,
                                        week, year.

                                        Clark McCoy

                                        To all who look for the SR group for honest direction-

                                        <<snip>>

                                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                                      • kkdarling
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Feb 2, 2006
                                          --- In sliderule@yahoogroups.com, "Clark McCoy" <clarkmccoy2@...> wrote:
                                          > What we are seeing today on eBay is mostly inexperienced new bidders.

                                          I think it's that, plus sometimes (as another person mentioned), even
                                          oldtime savvy collectors will just bid high to get an item NOW.

                                          Also, I know that I and another collector have pretty much stopped
                                          bidding for small items, and save our money to go after the rarest ones
                                          instead. For example, I recently obtained a super-rare DR-4 flight
                                          computer. I probably paid almost double what I could wait and get it
                                          for on a lucky day over a period of several years, but I just didn't
                                          want to wait that long !!

                                          > The other possible reason for high bids is a mistake I made last
                                          > week. I accidentally bib $1787 instead of $17.87.

                                          That's definitely grounds for withdrawing a bid, IMO. I've never had
                                          to, but that big a mistake could've been very costly if another person
                                          also made the same mistake.

                                          Or if another bidder was doing a "nuclear snipe". That causes high
                                          prices, too. If two bidders decide to enter $1000 for a $100 item just
                                          to win it, one of them is going to have a very exciting time explaining
                                          the price to his wife <grin>.

                                          Kevin Darling
                                        • marion moon
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Feb 2, 2006
                                            I once made the mistake of dropping the decimal point and bid the
                                            "$1787". I asked for a removal and ebay granted it. I too was not sure
                                            I would get away with it if I didn't withdraw.

                                            Marion Moon

                                            --- In sliderule@yahoogroups.com, "kkdarling" <kdarling@...> wrote:

                                            > --- In sliderule@yahoogroups.com, "Clark McCoy" <clarkmccoy2@> wrote:
                                            > > What we are seeing today on eBay is mostly inexperienced new bidders.
                                            >
                                            > I think it's that, plus sometimes (as another person mentioned), even
                                            > oldtime savvy collectors will just bid high to get an item NOW.
                                            >
                                            > Also, I know that I and another collector have pretty much stopped
                                            > bidding for small items, and save our money to go after the rarest ones
                                            > instead. For example, I recently obtained a super-rare DR-4 flight
                                            > computer. I probably paid almost double what I could wait and get it
                                            > for on a lucky day over a period of several years, but I just didn't
                                            > want to wait that long !!
                                            >
                                            > > The other possible reason for high bids is a mistake I made last
                                            > > week. I accidentally bib $1787 instead of $17.87.
                                            >
                                            > That's definitely grounds for withdrawing a bid, IMO. I've never had
                                            > to, but that big a mistake could've been very costly if another person
                                            > also made the same mistake.
                                            >
                                            > Or if another bidder was doing a "nuclear snipe". That causes high
                                            > prices, too. If two bidders decide to enter $1000 for a $100 item just
                                            > to win it, one of them is going to have a very exciting time explaining
                                            > the price to his wife <grin>.
                                            >
                                            > Kevin Darling

                                          • Neil Morrison
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Feb 2, 2006
                                              From: "Clark McCoy" <clarkmccoy2@...>

                                              > The other possible reason for high bids is a mistake I made last week. I
                                              > accidentally bib $1787 instead of $17.87. Fortunately no one bid me
                                              > above $6. I was just sweating that one of these novice bidders would
                                              > take me up to $70-80 for an inexpensive manual. I dodged that bullet.
                                              > But people do make mistakes bidding.

                                              You can cancel a bid like that then rebid correctly.

                                              Neil
                                            • John Alsobrook
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Feb 3, 2006
                                                --- In sliderule@yahoogroups.com, "Duane Croft" <dcroft@...> wrote:

                                                (but we've talked about favorite rules a bunch of times).

                                                > Regards,
                                                > Duane Croft

                                                For the benefit of those of us relatively new to the group, what came
                                                in second to the Versalog?

                                                John Alsobrook
                                              • John Ireton
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Feb 3, 2006
                                                  A few months ago I picked up a Post 1460 Versalog that I bid $150.00
                                                  for. Luckily, I got it for around $30. It was manufactured the
                                                  month I was born and I wanted it.

                                                  A couple months ago I picked up a set of Gilson Atlas, Binary, and
                                                  Midget rules in the same auction. I think I paid $215 for the set.
                                                  This is well above the average market for the rules but they had the
                                                  order acknowledgement post card sent to the original owner, the
                                                  seller's father I believe, from Gilson. They had historical
                                                  provenience and I wanted them.

                                                  Was I trying to fix the Versalog or Gilson markets, defraud the
                                                  members of the collecting community, or increase the value of my
                                                  stock of Versalogs? I wouldn't hesitate to drop this much on a
                                                  dinner for my wife and I. Why would I hesitate to bid that much on
                                                  something I really wanted, albeit for an esoteric reasons?

                                                  As far as us newbies running up prices(I've only been collecting for
                                                  2 1/2 years), shouldn't this community take some measure of
                                                  satisfaction that the popularity of our pastime is growing, as
                                                  measured by higher prices. Supply and demand.

                                                  John Ireton
                                                • wayne.brown@altec.com
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Feb 3, 2006
                                                    A few years ago, the only slide rule I had was my old Sterling DeciTrig
                                                    Log-Log from high school. It was very exciting to discover that the
                                                    wonderful higher-quality rules that I had wanted 35 years ago but were out
                                                    of reach at the time were now available on eBay. Thinking that such
                                                    venerable items *must* be rare collectors' items, I paid more than I should
                                                    have in several auctions before finding out that many of the ones I most
                                                    wanted could be found at low or moderate prices. My eyes were opened when
                                                    I won a nice used Pickett N600-ES and then got an email from someone who
                                                    pointed out that I could have gotten a brand new never-been-opened
                                                    still-in-the-box N600-ES from one of the online slide rule dealers for less
                                                    than I paid in the auction.

                                                    Everyone is a novice at some point, and novices frequently let enthusiasm
                                                    get ahead of smart shopping.

                                                    Wayne

                                                    protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should
                                                    message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly
                                                    prohibited.
                                                  • Neil Morrison
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Feb 3, 2006
                                                      Yep. I saw a bunch of folk bidding up copies of a book I wanted to around
                                                      $30 a copy on eBay. I got one from an Amazon dealer for $4. But then I saw
                                                      another book on Amazon, 3 or 4 copies at $140 each. I got one for $15 on
                                                      eBay. Shopping is a competitive sport.

                                                      Neil

                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Feb 4, 2006
                                                        The ebay ID's you mentioned are familiar to me as a buyer on ebay.
                                                        Anyone who regularly follows the slide rule listings on ebay will
                                                        see ID's appear on a regular basis and then the a newbie appears. I
                                                        started seriously collecting over a year ago. Much of what was
                                                        cheap then is not anymore. I think the year 2005 may have been a
                                                        turning
                                                        point for the hobby. Slide rules have been (re)discovered.

                                                        A few of the ebay regulars back then are less active now I think due
                                                        to the increase in prices. Me, I just cruise the cheap seats
                                                        looking for that overlooked item.

                                                        As far as the Pickett N types go I hardly ever saw one on ebay until
                                                        a couple of months ago, it seems. Now they are more frequent and
                                                        I'm picking them up for about $20 plus shipping when they fall
                                                        between the cracks. Think I got one today. The seller just didn't
                                                        take a close-up photo of the item, nor did he list a model type. It
                                                        didn't get the attention it maybe deserved.

                                                        This is a market that has yet to find itself or establish a
                                                        baseline,IMHO. So it may be awhile before it stabilizes. In any
                                                        event, the heyday of buying I had months ago are over.

                                                        Les
                                                      • Charles Oxford
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Feb 12, 2006
                                                          What syndicate??? Charlie in Phoenix

                                                          > From: rob walton <mgtc49racer@...>
                                                          > Date: 2006/02/01 Wed PM 11:15:31 EST
                                                          > To: sliderule@yahoogroups.com
                                                          > Subject: RE: SR $250 beat up Picket N4 slide rule
                                                          >
                                                          > Simon-
                                                          > I think perhaps the better question is "are the bidders and seller from AZ?" Every now and then these SR syndicate people from Scottsdale or Phoenix (mail drop) pop up on the auctions for a bit of fun. The desert has been known to do strange things to the brain. $266 for a basic N4 Pickett? Or, are we all missing something? ha ha
                                                          > Rob-
                                                          >
                                                          > Duane Croft <dcroft@...> wrote:
                                                          > Hi Simon,
                                                          >
                                                          > I have no idea what is going on with this N4 and a couple recent
                                                          > previous auctions that went so high. Is it the same person buying them?
                                                          > I don't normally sell my slide rules (although I've given a few away),
                                                          > but I think I have a couple of old N4's that are not really in great
                                                          > condition which I might be willing to part with for this kind of money.
                                                          > I've never really made an effort to collect N4's. For my purposes at
                                                          > least, it's inferior to the N3, which is one of my favorite rules (but
                                                          > we've talked about favorite rules a bunch of times).
                                                          >
                                                          > Regards,
                                                          > Duane Croft

                                                        • Clark McCoy
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Feb 12, 2006
                                                            Have not you heard that there is a Slide Rule Mafia in Arizona intent on
                                                            driving up slide rule prices? More power to them.

                                                            Clark

                                                            > I think perhaps the better question is "are the bidders and seller
                                                            from AZ?" Every now and then these SR syndicate people from Scottsdale
                                                            or Phoenix (mail drop) pop up on the auctions for a bit of fun. The
                                                            desert has been known to do strange things to the brain. $266 for a
                                                            basic N4 Pickett? Or, are we all missing something? ha ha
                                                            > Rob-
                                                            >
                                                            > Duane Croft <dcroft@...> wrote:
                                                            > Hi Simon,
                                                            >
                                                            > I have no idea what is going on with this N4 and a couple recent
                                                            > previous auctions that went so high. Is it the same person buying
                                                            them?
                                                            > I don't normally sell my slide rules (although I've given a few away),
                                                            > but I think I have a couple of old N4's that are not really in great
                                                            > condition which I might be willing to part with for this kind of
                                                            money.
                                                            > I've never really made an effort to collect N4's. For my purposes at
                                                            > least, it's inferior to the N3, which is one of my favorite rules (but
                                                            > we've talked about favorite rules a bunch of times).
                                                            >
                                                            > Regards,
                                                            > Duane Croft

                                                            Service.

                                                            > ---------------------------------

                                                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                                            Yahoo! Groups Links
                                                          • Tom Grosh
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Feb 12, 2006
                                                              Nice price for N4. -signed, tomass in AZ.
                                                              >> I think perhaps the better question is "are the bidders and seller from
                                                              >> AZ?" Every now and then these SR syndicate people from Scottsdale or
                                                              >> Phoenix (mail drop) pop up on the auctions for a bit of fun. The desert
                                                              >> has been known to do strange things to the brain. $266 for a basic N4
                                                              >> Pickett? Or, are we all missing something? ha ha
                                                              >> Rob-
                                                              >>
                                                              >> Duane Croft <dcroft@...> wrote:
                                                              >> Hi Simon,
                                                              >>
                                                              >> I have no idea what is going on with this N4 and a couple recent
                                                              >> previous auctions that went so high. Is it the same person buying them?
                                                              >> I don't normally sell my slide rules (although I've given a few away),
                                                              >> but I think I have a couple of old N4's that are not really in great
                                                              >> condition which I might be willing to part with for this kind of money.
                                                              >> I've never really made an effort to collect N4's. For my purposes at
                                                              >> least, it's inferior to the N3, which is one of my favorite rules (but
                                                              >> we've talked about favorite rules a bunch of times).
                                                              >>
                                                              >> Regards,
                                                              >> Duane Croft

                                                            • Arnold Iverson
                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Feb 12, 2006
                                                                Yeah... If you noticed the dib history for the item, it went into a
                                                                bidding war for a while until sethb703 gave up on it the day before
                                                                the auction ended!

                                                                By the way, this sethb703 is all over the place in the slide rule
                                                                auctions recently...

                                                                - Arnie in AZ

                                                                > Nice price for N4. -signed, tomass in AZ.

                                                                Service.