Re: [slfuture] Have Ideas for A Future Salon on Alternate Reality Games?

  • Jerry Paffendorf
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 11, 2006
      > it is hard (for me)
      > to look very far into the future of videoconferencing without seeing
      > good reasons why it is going to have to move away from the camera
      > metaphor, if only because cameras have too many inherent limitations
      > (like points of view). Once you have done that, why not move all the
      > way to avatars? Lots of room for discussion here....

      Thanks, Fred. Check out this post on the Oddcast blog you might find
      interesting:

      10 Reasons to go Virtual Instead of Video
      http://blog.oddcast.com/2006/10/why_not_use_vid.html

      Oddcast http://www.oddcast.com makes talking avatars on the web. I
      fiddled around with one on my MySpace page not too long ago: http://
      myspace.com/jerrypaffendorf .

      Peter Ludlow (one of the first salon speakers back in 2005) and I
      were on SecondCast recently talking about the press about SL and
      outside business entering the world http://www.secondcast.com/?p=68
      and he was asking why some of the music events in SL that were
      attended by fewer people than in a virtual world like Habbo Hotel
      were getting more attention. Aside from SL getting written about a
      lot lately, I think it certainly has to do with the multiple
      viewpoints and camera flexibility you're talking about here: SL is an
      absolute unique image generating machine. With video from a single
      perspective or with the kind of flat virtual world like Habbo Hotel
      you can't explore perspective. That's very, very powerful and
      something to add to the Oddcast list.

      Not sure how we can weave it in heavily in this salon, but avatar
      teleconferencing certainly serves to make everything just that much
      more ARG :),

      Jerry

      On Nov 11, 2006, at 4:53 PM, Fred Hapgood wrote:

      >> Any thoughts on framing some particular ARG salon themes? Any cool
      >> ideas for a setting or some inworld ARG tie-in with the salon?
      >
      > This might not be central to the mission, but I'm interested in the
      > integration of video- or teleconferencing and virtual worlds. In
      > particular I'm curious about how the latter might change the former,
      > though the other side of the story -- how teleconferencing might drive
      > VW graphics -- is pretty interesting too. Anyway, it is hard (for me)
      > to look very far into the future of videoconferencing without seeing
      > good reasons why it is going to have to move away from the camera
      > metaphor, if only because cameras have too many inherent limitations
      > (like points of view). Once you have done that, why not move all the
      > way to avatars? Lots of room for discussion here....
      >
      > Fred Hapgood
      > www.pobox.com/~fhapgood
      > www.BostonScienceAndEngineeringLectures.com

    • Jerry Paffendorf
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 11, 2006
        > Hi Jerry -- not sure if this got posted successfully to the Salon,
        > so here it is again...
        >
        > I'd like to offer myself as a guest for a salon on ARGs.

        Tony, forgive me for not recalling the depth of your ARG ski11z!
        Welcome aboard. With your experience you've got to be one of the
        sharpest people in the world on ARGs and virtual worlds, so we're in
        luck.

        So Clickable Culture's Tony Walsh will be one of our speakers http://
        www.secretlair.com . I have invites out to people at Perplex City
        http://www.perplexcity.com , 42 Entertainment http://www.
        42entertainment.com , and ARGNetwork http://www.argn.com . I'll
        update everyone when it's all roped together.

        I asked Jade Lily if she had any ideas for an ARG setting and she said:

        9:44 yeah, but they're out there
      • tonyratboy
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 12, 2006
          Thanks for bringing me aboard. If you like, I will post a call-out on
          the IDGA's SIG mailing list for ARGs (enough acronyms?). There may be
          one or two people on that list with fingers in both the ARG and VW pies.

          --- In slfuture@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Paffendorf <jerry@...> wrote:

          > > Hi Jerry -- not sure if this got posted successfully to the Salon,
          > > so here it is again...
          > >
          > > I'd like to offer myself as a guest for a salon on ARGs.
          >
          > Tony, forgive me for not recalling the depth of your ARG ski11z!
          > Welcome aboard. With your experience you've got to be one of the
          > sharpest people in the world on ARGs and virtual worlds, so we're in
          > luck.
        • Jerry Paffendorf
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 12, 2006
            Thanks for bringing me aboard. If you like, I will post a call-out on
            the IDGA's SIG mailing list for ARGs (enough acronyms?).

            BIOWLTHMATLMKIAOTWMGG (Bring it on! Would love to have more ARGers there. Let me know if any of them would make good guests.)

            Never enough acronyms! :)

            JP/SBZ
          • Jade Lily